Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My QTP headers...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My QTP headers...

They are rattling against the body of my car the passanger side! They have been for 4 months and it just started about 2 weeks ago... It looks like it is up againts the 1" hole underneath the passangers side but it has always been like that and now around that area its making a horrible sound and it is retarding my timing (0.7). I have already hit it with a 5lb hammer with a piece of wood between the header and hammer.
How would i go about fixing this? The bolts are tight.

Thanks for any input.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try some new poly motor mounts
Old 07-12-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

You need to get it up in the air and/or look at it closely from the top and figure out exactly what is transpiring. At least thats the impresion I get from your thread, Its not very clear from the info you've given exactly what is happening. Perhaps you just need to explain it better to us before a logical solution can be reached. Perhaps the header bolts are loose? Or a dozen other things.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Junkie

The header bolts are tight.
When the engine is under normal stress/driving condtions i can here this knocking and i can feel it. The clearence between the header and body (the hole where the header fits down through) is bad, so bad i can not fit a piece of paper between them and i now can see the ware on the headers where its rubbing and rattling. Also if i put my car in drive and pull the brake and get out i can hear the rattling.
The only way i can see to fix it is to have someone bend the headers some or get some solid motor mounts.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

sounds like u need new mounts. when i get headers i plan on getting poly mounts so i have less issues.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:29 PM
12 Second Club

Man that sux, I know my clearance on mine there is very little as well but they dont bang around like that. My guess is somthing in the exhaust got loose, maybe not the header bolts but somthing else. I would check all the hangers and clamps. One thing to check is if you are using some band clamps around the headers check the position of them. If they are upside down the bolts can possibly be hitting somthing under the car. I would put it up in the air if possible. Maybe if you have a drive on lift or alignment rack you can get it on I'd put it on there and have a buddy in the car with the parking brake on and in drive and you can look and see. Good luck man I hope you find the source of this.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

poly/solid motor mounts
Old 07-13-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Shove a piece of heater hose between the two. problem solved. My exhaust is heater hosed in like 3 places lol.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro
Shove a piece of heater hose between the two. problem solved. My exhaust is heater hosed in like 3 places lol.
Done that with my ORY in two places, i used the AIR pump box tubing. The problem is that i can't even fit a piece of paper between the header and the piece its rattling against.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
The problem is that i can't even fit a piece of paper between the header and the piece its rattling against.
Pictures!!! Can't give you any directed solutions until the problem is defined, what is it hitting on/resting against? Where is this "connection"? Etc, etc...
Answer may be as simple as slightly denting a primary, or you may need a BFH mod, or could be the QTP's are out of configuration (not impossible with their quality control), and the list goes on...

Need more data...
Old 07-15-2008, 03:50 AM
Launching!

poly motor mounts
Old 07-15-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Have you tried to loosen the header bolts and position them further away from where they are touching. Also, consider loosening the tranny crossmember bolts and see if you can move it enough to compansate. I've done both of these and have had a little luck. In the end, I ended up just grinding my K-member and the problem stopped. Make sure the #2 cylinder primary tube isn't just resting on the crossmember. That could be your problem too.

Good luck
Old 07-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Tech Resident

It's weird that it was fine for 4 months and the rattling just started out of nowhere. Check your motor mounts. One may have literally dropped. When I put my headers in, I was shocked to find out that one of the motor mounts completely dropped. The engine was sitting totally crooked and it was impossible to tell from the engine bay. We had to throw the car up on the lift and straighten out the motor. I gotta check mine too because for some reason, my cat is tapping my floorboard when I take off under moderate to hard throttle. It was totally fine two months ago, and I've only driven my car 2 or 3 times since then. It's come out of nowhere. Something may have come loose. These freaking rubber mounts SUCK. I COMPLETELY regret not getting poly motor mounts put in during the header install. I think I've tweaked the mounts 3 times. I found a box of 1000 degree HVAC insulation at work that the contractors threw away and left out in the rain. I think I'm going to jam a piece between the driver's side cat and the floorboard for the time being.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

When i first installed my QTP LTs, they too were resting on the K member. I forgot what side it was, all i did was part of the K member away and have been perfect since.

And while you were doing the LTs, that would have been the time to do poly motor mounts! B/C with the LTs in the way, there are a PITA to get too.. Take it from me who just did motor mounts 2 weeks ago..

Ohh and Anthony..... I LOVE MY GMMG

Old 07-16-2008, 07:40 PM
Tech Resident

Sigh... Give it a few months til you get bored with that, too. You'll wish for the TD's again
Old 07-18-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
It's weird that it was fine for 4 months and the rattling just started out of nowhere. Check your motor mounts. One may have literally dropped. When I put my headers in, I was shocked to find out that one of the motor mounts completely dropped. The engine was sitting totally crooked and it was impossible to tell from the engine bay. We had to throw the car up on the lift and straighten out the motor. I gotta check mine too because for some reason, my cat is tapping my floorboard when I take off under moderate to hard throttle. It was totally fine two months ago, and I've only driven my car 2 or 3 times since then. It's come out of nowhere. Something may have come loose. These freaking rubber mounts SUCK. I COMPLETELY regret not getting poly motor mounts put in during the header install. I think I've tweaked the mounts 3 times. I found a box of 1000 degree HVAC insulation at work that the contractors threw away and left out in the rain. I think I'm going to jam a piece between the driver's side cat and the floorboard for the time being.
Where is your driver's side cat' located? I remember that you posted pics' when you had the Y-pipe but I couldn't view them from the computer. Anyways, the reason I ask is because I changed my catd' QTP Y-pipe and moved the cat' from QTP's position on the driver's side, to hang right off the collector on that header. That, unfortunately, put it right under a stamped sheetmetal crossmember and I ended up trimming it a little bit to gain clearance to the body and to push the cat' a little higher from the ground.

What my point is is if yours is in a similar location, have a look around the crossmember. You may have to trim it in order to get more clearance. After I did, I didn't have near the ground clearance issues and no rubbing.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:34 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by radz282003
Where is your driver's side cat' located? I remember that you posted pics' when you had the Y-pipe but I couldn't view them from the computer. Anyways, the reason I ask is because I changed my catd' QTP Y-pipe and moved the cat' from QTP's position on the driver's side, to hang right off the collector on that header. That, unfortunately, put it right under a stamped sheetmetal crossmember and I ended up trimming it a little bit to gain clearance to the body and to push the cat' a little higher from the ground.

What my point is is if yours is in a similar location, have a look around the crossmember. You may have to trim it in order to get more clearance. After I did, I didn't have near the ground clearance issues and no rubbing.
My cats are right off the header collectors. The headers aren't hitting anything. The clearance is fine. It's the cat that's hitting. It's sitting under my seat so it literally smacks me in the *** if I get on it hard.

Here's a pic:

The collectors are perfect. That's just a tough location for a cat.

EDIT - now you got me thinking. Maybe you're right and all the tilting of the motor mounts I've been doing may have pivoted the headers to be touching the k-member under hard throttle. It's only there in first gear when I take off hard. I'll have to check next time I do an oil change or get it up on the lift. I may have to take a file to the edge of the k-member.

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-19-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Anthony, when i did my poly motor mounts my QTP LTs were pitching at a downward angle.

Before the motor mounts, they looked like yours do in the pic
Old 07-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Tech Resident

I don't understand what you mean Jonas. I think they look perfect in my pic right now Are you saying they should point slightly downward?
Old 07-20-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
I don't understand what you mean Jonas. I think they look perfect in my pic right now Are you saying they should point slightly downward?
yes before i did my poly mounts they were sitting a little high, then when i did the poly moutnts the LTs were at a slight downward angle....