Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get crank pulley off, may have damaged threads.. very pissed please help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can't get crank pulley off, may have damaged threads.. very pissed please help.

Well i have better things to do than to be f*cking with this Crank Pulley.The only reason i went to remove it is because my belt came off 2 times. Anyway after a good amount of time i finally got the bolt off. I then got my pulley removal tool on to remove this and i can't get it the hell off I guess when i was trying to remove i pressed to far in on the bolt damaging the threads and on top of that I don't have the stocker off yet. I have a new bolt and i tried to put it in to test the threads and it goes all the way in without threading... 12 F-bodies and a Vette ,various projects and this is the 1st one i really fucked up on. I'm so aggravated right now i think i damaged some stuff outside.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What pulley is it? Stock? And on what car?

Threads can be fixed...there's always Helicoil.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:09 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it a stock or ASP pulley? The internal threads on the crankshaft (if thats what you're referring to) have nothing to do with the pulley staying on.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're still trying to get the crank pulley off, put tension on the puller and shock load it with a couple raps with a hammer... Repeat until it frees up. Threads can be fixed any number of ways. Heli-coil, oversizing, etc... No big deal.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:04 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to use a spacer on front of the threads so you dont damage them. I use a socket, fits in there perfectly. I'm guessing you mashed a few threads in the end but thats about it. Sometimes you can use the bolt to re-tap the threads in there if you havent buggered them up to bad. The pulley will come off, it isnt easy sometimes. Little heat maybe or even some pentrating oil if its rusted on there for some reason. Good 3 jaw puller and keeping it straight should work.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What puller did you use?... The ones that uses rods to push from inside the crank are the ones you should use. The one that are for Any late model GM/Chrysler Harmonic puller should be the correct one. I used a Snap-On #YA6490. It worked great.

The ones that just seat against the end crank or treads will work, but as you now done, will cause damage. Always Use the Correct tool for the correct job !

Last edited by bczee; 07-13-2008 at 12:39 AM.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a crisis similar to this with my ring and pinion gears. My pinion gear threads were so bad (used gears from another car of mine) that I couldnt even get the nut on with an impact. I invested so much time in thread files, rasps, even a grade 8 nut in a vice to cut new threads and nothing would help... until I discovered the mystical powers of what wise men have called the "tap and die set." I purchased "tap and die" set from my local Harbor Freight and I now believe in tap and die. That **** will fix any thread and take only two blinks doing it. If you dont have a tap and die then I would recommend it anyway. The good news, bro, is that threads can be fixed.

Quick Reply: Can't get crank pulley off, may have damaged threads.. very pissed please help.