Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil packs & wires

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Coil packs & wires

Hi All,

I'm swapping an '03 Corvette LS-1 into a '72 Maverick. I have a set of Aaron's sheetmetal valve covers and will be relocating the coil packs. I built a set of brackets to mount them low on the engine crossmember straddling the oil pan. I'm not anticipating any problems (certainly not heat problems) but possibly moisture problems. This will not be a daily driver, so unless I get caught in a storm...

Anyhow, the connectors appear to be weatherproof in nature, can anyone verify this?

I've seached and read here about the LT-1 universal wire sets, although no one ever verifed the coilboot fitup. Any news on that?

Thanks!

Russ
Attached Thumbnails Coil packs & wires-100_0541.jpg  
Old 07-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I make custom length LS1 MSD 8.5mm Superconductor wires for people all the time. In most cases for less than you can buy the universal set and make them yourself for. I offer a 6 year warranty with them as well.

I would not expose them (coil packs) to that much weather potential. Yes the boots fit tight and provide good protection but thats possibly asking for trouble. I make brackets that mount in universal locations as well as under the cowling of fbodys. I would use the firewall first if was feasible and the radiator support area second or the inner fender walls or something if possible.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

My M/C (even w/o a booster) takes up enough real estate to rule out the firewall. The fenderwell panels are an option, but it looks tacky. I originally built a bracket (to use the engine in my '47 Ford) that spanned the rear of the block behind the manifold (see pic), but it looked tacky too. Hmm, maybe I'll try that one again... What "universal kit" are you recommending? For your kit, I'm guessing I need to supply all wire lengths (unknown for now)?

Thanks!

Russ
Attached Thumbnails Coil packs & wires-p0002650.jpg  
Old 07-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, I need wire lengths although if you have crimpers I could make a universal kit for you as well. MSD has a kit it's $100.70 I think, I dont sell them as my offer is better..LOL

I can make and warranty for $80 shipped what they sell for $100 plus shipping. I can send you a peice of wire to use to measure with as well, I've made quite a few sets for people on here with great success.

The MSD set comes with a mini crimper/stripper, I carry it as well it's 100.70 shipped.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What about the frame rails for location, they'd be down low. You have your choice of red or black wires as wel. The black doesnt look near as tacky as the red.

The coil boot does fit pretty snug and I know a few tricks I can tell you as well..LOL

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 07-13-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Junkie

I "revisited" my earlier attempt at an '8-across the firewall' bracket and decided it looks OK on the Maverick. I just refabbed the brackets a bit. I'l take your offer on the wires, what's the best way to get in touch?

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Yep, I need wire lengths...

I can make and warranty for $80 shipped...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What about the frame rails for location, they'd be down low. You have your choice of red or black wires as wel. The black doesnt look near as tacky as the red.

The coil boot does fit pretty snug and I know a few tricks I can tell you as well..LOL
Attached Thumbnails Coil packs & wires-100_0549.jpg   Coil packs & wires-100_0550.jpg   Coil packs & wires-100_0551.jpg