Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Air Force E's that went O's, need info...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Air Force E's that went O's, need info...

I am a prior enlisted aviator in the AF, who will be headed towards OTS in the fall. I am just wondering what OTS is really like. For anyone that has gone through the Air Force's enlisted boot camp, and later went to OTS, how was it comparable wise? From what little I have learned, OTS is a bit easier, however much longer.

Does anyone have any specific info on OTS and what I can expect?
Old 07-13-2008, 12:41 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

StoleIt might be able to help
Old 07-13-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
StoleIt might be able to help
He didnt do OTS he is in ROTC, they are 2 different programs.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

What do you mean you were an aviator as enlisted? You mean aircrew I assume? That aside, I was never enlisted, but I have friends who were prior to getting their commission. Have you taken the AFOQT yet? If not, study up and kick *** on it. OTS is no walk in the park, but it's nothing to worry about if you've already been enlisted...the biggest challenge is for civilians walking in trying to gain a military bearing, you should already have that. Just kick *** in anything and everything you do, keep your mouth shut, don't cheat or lie, and be a good team player and you'll breeze right through.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by brad8266
He didnt do OTS he is in ROTC, they are 2 different programs.
My bad
Old 07-13-2008, 03:48 PM
NKAWTG...N

<- ROTC

But having been to Maxwell for our Field Training and getting exposed to what the OTS/COTS guys went through here is my take on it:

Their are two classes, junior and senior. The senior class basically plays cadet officers and is responsible for teaching the junior class. The first couple of weeks are like basic, always at POA, parade rest, pole shoved up your ***, etc. In the mornings ROTC was always working out before OTS, we had reveille at 0415 and PT at 0445. OTS guys didn't get out to the fields until about 0515. Junior class had to march around as I recall, with senior class acting as flt/cc, sqd/cc and all group/wing positions. You will have a bunch of MTIs running around also, where as ROTC only had 1 MTI for the entire wing.

You guys have a lot more class room than the ROTCs, since we did all the book work during the first 2 years of college.

That being said I did my field training two years ago, so a lot might have changed. I know a crap ton has been shifted for us ROTCs, since they are trying to make "every airmen a soldier" or whatever the hell that program is. That has probably gotten transfered to OTS/COTS also.

Edit: DO you know your AFSC yet?

Last edited by StoleIt; 07-13-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cascadesys
What do you mean you were an aviator as enlisted? You mean aircrew I assume? That aside, I was never enlisted, but I have friends who were prior to getting their commission. Have you taken the AFOQT yet? If not, study up and kick *** on it. OTS is no walk in the park, but it's nothing to worry about if you've already been enlisted...the biggest challenge is for civilians walking in trying to gain a military bearing, you should already have that. Just kick *** in anything and everything you do, keep your mouth shut, don't cheat or lie, and be a good team player and you'll breeze right through.
I was an In-Flight-Refueler/Boom Operator (enlisted Aviator), and have already taken and passed with flying colors the AFOQT. All the prep work is done, and I already have been accepted into a squadron that is picking me up as an officer, I am just awaiting my OTS date (sometime this fall).

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Edit: DO you know your AFSC yet?
Thanks for the info StoleIt. Yeah, I have got a pilot spot awaiting me. It was by no means an easy task, and I still am having a hard time believing that they picked me up as there were TONS of other well qualified applicants. But I had excellent test scores, a high GPA in college, already passed the class 1 flight physical, along with a letter of reccomendation from a General, and a handfull of private pilot hours, so I got lucky

Still looking for anyone who has been through OTS. Anyone?
Old 07-13-2008, 05:29 PM
NKAWTG...N

Congrats! Know when and where you are going to SUPT? And when you going through OTS?

I'll be back at Maxwell in just short of a year for ASBC.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:36 PM
11 Second Club

Good Luck man
Old 07-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
I was an In-Flight-Refueler/Boom Operator (enlisted Aviator), and have already taken and passed with flying colors the AFOQT. All the prep work is done, and I already have been accepted into a squadron that is picking me up as an officer, I am just awaiting my OTS date (sometime this fall).

Thanks for the info StoleIt. Yeah, I have got a pilot spot awaiting me. It was by no means an easy task, and I still am having a hard time believing that they picked me up as there were TONS of other well qualified applicants. But I had excellent test scores, a high GPA in college, already passed the class 1 flight physical, along with a letter of reccomendation from a General, and a handfull of private pilot hours, so I got lucky

Still looking for anyone who has been through OTS. Anyone?
Congrats on the pilot slot man, that's no easy task. Were you a boom op on the 135? My dad started his pilot career flying the 135 for a few years. Do you know what plane you will be flying, since you know which squadron you'll be in?
Old 07-13-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through OTS earlier this year. Coming in as a civilian, the hardest part for me was getting up at 4:30 and enduring an 18 hour day filled with nothing but metaphorical crotch kicking. The academics are easy if you put forth an ounce of effort and you should already be ahead of atleast half of the people there if you know your drill basics. OTS is a game and you just have to learn how to play. Task management is key. They'll give you 20 things to do but only time to do 10 of them.

My advice to you is to help out the non-priors as much as you can (folding shirts, making beds, drill, etc). The better you get along with your flight the better OTS is. Don't be the guy that thinks everything is gay and that you think it's bullshit that some guy with 6 weeks of AF experience under his belt is yelling at you for your uniform looking like ****. Just shut up and color like everyone else and it'll work out. Good luck. If you have any other questions, let me know.

I just read that you're at Grissom. There was a chick in my OTS class that is a pilot-select from your unit. She's a cool chick. She said ya'll have a pretty cool unit there.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Congrats! Know when and where you are going to SUPT? And when you going through OTS?

I'll be back at Maxwell in just short of a year for ASBC.
The AFRC board meets in the middle of September. They will decide then when I leave for OTS (which will have to be sometime after that, and before the end of December). I will start SUPT right after OTS which will have to be before mid April. I know this because they are aware that by regulation I have to start pilot training prior to my 30th birthday which is in mid April.

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
Good Luck man
Thanks dude.

Originally Posted by cascadesys
Congrats on the pilot slot man, that's no easy task. Were you a boom op on the 135? My dad started his pilot career flying the 135 for a few years. Do you know what plane you will be flying, since you know which squadron you'll be in?
No. I was a Boom on the KC-10. I will be flying the KC-135R as that is what they have at Grissom.

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
I went through OTS earlier this year. Coming in as a civilian, the hardest part for me was getting up at 4:30 and enduring an 18 hour day filled with nothing but metaphorical crotch kicking. The academics are easy if you put forth an ounce of effort and you should already be ahead of atleast half of the people there if you know your drill basics. OTS is a game and you just have to learn how to play. Task management is key. They'll give you 20 things to do but only time to do 10 of them.

My advice to you is to help out the non-priors as much as you can (folding shirts, making beds, drill, etc). The better you get along with your flight the better OTS is. Don't be the guy that thinks everything is gay and that you think it's bullshit that some guy with 6 weeks of AF experience under his belt is yelling at you for your uniform looking like ****. Just shut up and color like everyone else and it'll work out. Good luck. If you have any other questions, let me know.

I just read that you're at Grissom. There was a chick in my OTS class that is a pilot-select from your unit. She's a cool chick. She said ya'll have a pretty cool unit there.
Thanks for the info. I figured it would be similar to boot camp in areas such as they are just playing a big game with you most of the time, and you have to learn how to play. Sounds like they focus more on the classwork and leadership skills than they did at boot camp though. I'm not really worried about it, as I am used to all that stuff, and I have been used to waking up at crazy times for missions anyways (much earlier than 4:30 am, and with much less sleep for much longer periods of time).

Do you have any free time at all during OTS? Or do they watch you around the clock like infants? (this is pretty much how it went in boot camp).
Old 07-13-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

It depends on who your LFC and ALFC are. They are the ones from your upper flight that are in charge of you so to speak. If you have ones that like to yell at you and have you do **** all day, then you won't have much free time except maybe the weekends. If you have cool ones like I did, then they pretty much leave you alone after the duty day. It's all the luck of the draw. After your upper class leaves (6 weeks in) you'll have alot more free time.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:23 AM
TECH Addict

So you might get free time during the evenings and weekends? And what is the free time like? Is it you confined to an area to do whatever you like? Or are we talking, you are free to roam around base and do what you like?
Old 07-14-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CALL911
So you might get free time during the evenings and weekends? And what is the free time like? Is it you confined to an area to do whatever you like? Or are we talking, you are free to roam around base and do what you like?
During fourth class status (first 6 weeks) you're confined to the OTS campus. "Free" time is usually spent in your room or maybe at the gym. During 3rd class status, you're allowed to roam the base but this is only from Sat-Sun. During 2nd class status, you can go off base from Sat-Sun. During 1st class status (week before graduation) you're allowed to leave base after the duty day.

So basically, don't plan on doing anything worthwhile for your first 6 weeks. Just be glad you might have a chance to take a nap or something.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
During fourth class status (first 6 weeks) you're confined to the OTS campus. "Free" time is usually spent in your room or maybe at the gym. During 3rd class status, you're allowed to roam the base but this is only from Sat-Sun. During 2nd class status, you can go off base from Sat-Sun. During 1st class status (week before graduation) you're allowed to leave base after the duty day.

So basically, don't plan on doing anything worthwhile for your first 6 weeks. Just be glad you might have a chance to take a nap or something.
Well, it sounds a lot easier/relaxed than I pictured it. I figured it would be like boot camp was the whole time. We were watched and messed with day and night every day we were there until graduation. The only "free time" you would have (if you could call it that) was supervised time in the dorm room to fold your clothes, shine your boots, or organize your items. You were never allowed to "roam free". I was imagining that OTS would be the same, but glad to hear I will have some kind of rights eventually. Thanks again for the info.

Any other details to share?
Old 07-15-2008, 02:21 PM
NKAWTG...N

Not sure how OTS dorms are but here is what mine looked like on TD29 (our last full day):

Bring sun block!!!

And if you get your hair cut uber short...the top of your head can BURN! Ask me how...

(note the old style PTs, I can't imagine doing it with PTs that lack pockets...)
Old 07-15-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah the new PT's suck ***** because you get MAD chavage on your inner thigh when running. Thats where the black spandex shorts come into play.

Are you going to be flying U2's or something StoleIt?
Old 07-15-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

At least the new AF PT's look nice, my wifes got them and I like them way better than my army PT's
Old 07-16-2008, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you fold your clothes like StoleIt, the MTIs will make you hate life even more so. Use that as an example of what not to do.

Quick Reply: Air Force E's that went O's, need info...