Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Sound Under the Rear End

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange Sound Under the Rear End

I went on a little trip to Bowling Green yesterday. When i got back i stopped for the mail, and i heard a weird noise like a kettle steaming, near the fuel tank. I normally drive my car about 20 miles a day. It doesnt get out on to many trip's. When i turneed the key off it stopped , then i would turn it forward(not starting it)i could hear it again. I was confused. I hear the car thinking and one of the componets clicking on when i turn the key forward. Just never heard it whistle when it was hot? Is this normal? Did i completley confuse anyone..I know i am
Old 08-22-2003, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Strange Sound Under the Rear End

Maybe it was the fuel pump whining. You out to hear the external pump on my Mustang!! Thats the only thing I can think of that would involve pressure to make a tea kettle noise. When you turn the key foward but not on, does it only do it for a few seconds then stop?
Old 08-22-2003, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, normally it does it for a few second , but when i cam back and the car was hot it did it continous.. I probably should have posted this in external engine..I was thinking fuel pump to, if it whines bad , is it going bad? Or is it normal and i just never noticed?
Old 08-22-2003, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

It could be bad or normal. Fuel pumps will make some noise, whether or not the noise you are hear is above and beyond normal, I cant tell you. My fuel pump on the camaro whines ohh so quiet, but can still be heard. My mustang you can hear the fuel pumps from a couple streets away. My brothers yukon is much louder than my camaro, but is considered normal. Although sometimes fuel pumps will give the shriek of death on their way out, but usually you would be able to tell that its not normal.