PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to start in-car laptop/street tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default how to start in-car laptop/street tuning?

well...i may sound like an idiot but i may be picking up a cheap laptop from my sisters boyfriend and i figured what better use for it than to get it hooked up in my car for tuning. so i honestly have no idea where to start, how would i go about hooking this up, what good software programs are there. so far im thinking hp tuners. any feed back is welcome i basically know nothing. i really want to know whats all involved with getting this hooked up in my car, how much it will cost to get hooked up and will the computer just be hooked up directly to my cars pcm? sorry for all the newb questions
Old 07-14-2008, 04:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To do it right, you'll need a scanning & tuning suite and at least 1 wideband O2 sensor. Green Light Motorsports and Wait4Me Performance have great deals on EFILive and WBO2's. You can call them to discuss your specific needs and they will help you select the package that's right for you. EFILive includes tutorials to help get you going on the tuning process. There is also forum support for the specific questions you may have.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

If you get HP Tuners get the pro version so you can easily hook a wideband up to it.

For concepts, pick up Greg Banish's book Engine Mgmt advanced tuning

Then spend some time on HP Tuners' forum and start reading. See if anyone local to you is willing to mentor you.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to take the time to ask what year/make/model vehicle are you attempting to tune?

If you are referring to the 95 Firebird Formula on your fquick page neither HP Tuners or efilive will work for your application so as much as I'd love to be able to say "run out and buy hptuners its the best ever!" I would also like to give you GOOD advice & not a sales pitch

Old 07-14-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by foff667
I would like to take the time to ask what year/make/model vehicle are you attempting to tune?

If you are referring to the 95 Firebird Formula on your fquick page neither HP Tuners or efilive will work for your application so as much as I'd love to be able to say "run out and buy hptuners its the best ever!" I would also like to give you GOOD advice & not a sales pitch

oh...damn. well thanks for the info though guys. wasnt sure if i get any good feedback because im a noob to tuning
Old 07-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Dex
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by radkon
If you get HP Tuners get the pro version so you can easily hook a wideband up to it.

For concepts, pick up Greg Banish's book Engine Mgmt advanced tuning

Then spend some time on HP Tuners' forum and start reading. See if anyone local to you is willing to mentor you.
I got that book and i can't figure it out to save my life it gets so boring. I know the concept of tuning i know how the sensors work i want to know so steps involved with tuning and it just felt like a generic over view.
You really need to wait for the tuning book the guys at Masport Speed Shop are writing i'm one of there beta testers and this book is **** it had everything i was looking for in a tuning book.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt1noob
oh...damn. well thanks for the info though guys. wasnt sure if i get any good feedback because im a noob to tuning
if you have 95 thats an obd 1 car. you need datamaster for logging and tunercats with the $ee definition file for tuning.

Originally Posted by Dex
You really need to wait for the tuning book the guys at Masport Speed Shop are writing i'm one of there beta testers and this book is **** it had everything i was looking for in a tuning book.
when's this book coming out?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Dex
I got that book and i can't figure it out to save my life it gets so boring. I know the concept of tuning i know how the sensors work i want to know so steps involved with tuning and it just felt like a generic over view.
Greg's book is VERY technical but it does a nice job of explainging concepts. I've had to read it several times and went back with a highlighter to pick out "the good parts". But as you said though it DOESN'T tell you step by step which things to change and how to do it with HPT or EFI live. There are other sources for that info.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lt1noob
We were all noob's at one time. You might still give Jess (wait4me) or Greenlight a call. They are quite passionate about tuning and may be able to get you set up for your LT.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

alright thanks for all the help guys
Old 11-25-2022, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 294 Likes on 218 Posts

Troll?
Old 11-25-2022, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Gotta be a troll. You know, you just let the laptop do all the work. 😂

Quick Reply: how to start in-car laptop/street tuning?