Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a question about an erratic idle....

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I have a question about an erratic idle....

Got some tweeking done to my tuning today and got redynoed. When I picked the car up, I started the car up, and it started idling ~1100 (usually 850-950 rpm). When I started driving it, the idle was constantly between 1500-2000rpm, and when I was driving and either put the clutch in or knocked it out of gear, the rpms would climb back to 1500-2000. It was enough to act as cruise control, and pull the car along at a steady 2000 rpm. I pulled over, let the idle settle down (took a minute or so), and the car drove like normal on the way home (idling at 850-950 as usual). I went in a restaurant to eat, when I came out the car idled at ~1200 for the first minute or so, then settled back to 850-950. My question is this: When an idle speed is set with LS1 Edit, is it entered as a number, say 900 rpm? I had drilled out my TB to 9/32" before I had tuning, can this be causing this, does it need to be closed up? Could it be a vaccumm leak or a leak in my lid/bellows/maf/tb area? Its kinda weird, because it settled down and did fine most of the way home.

Only other relevant thing I can think of, the AIR has been blocked off and inoperable since I installed heads and cam. Today, I had them delete the codes altogether because its coming off. I don't think this has anything to do with it, but its a variable.

Any ideas what caused this? Where to look? Thanks, Shawn
Old 08-22-2003, 09:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: I have a question about an erratic idle....

Hey Shawn

Sounds like a possible vacum leak.My idle is alittle high sometimes but not that high and it settles down when in gear.

BTW how did you do on the new dyno?

Jeremy