Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need Help. Clearing Taillights.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy Need Help. Clearing Taillights.

I have a 81 Silverado that I am clearing all the light lenses on to bring the shine back and make them look nicer. Prepped all the lights the same way and cleared them. The taillights looked great while I was still in the process of getting them done. After they started to dry they look like a spider web. Clear looks good, but it is like it is seperating for some reason. The rest of the lenses turned out good.

Sanded all the lights with 800
Wet Sanded all the lights with 1000 and then 1500 before wiping them down with wax and grease remover. Let that dry for almost 45 minutes and then cleared them. Where did I go wrong? What can I do to avoid the spider web look? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

SBP
Old 07-14-2008, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you use any type of adhesion promoter? I think 1500 is a bit too fine as well, although I've never done this.
BTW if they are clear plastic you could have just sanded them with 1000, 1500, 2000, then polished then up, that's what I usually do for headlights....
Old 07-14-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I reading this correctly? You clear coated your tail light lenses?? If you're trying to remove the yellowing or flaking look they sometimes get, all you have to do is wetsand them down (most likely from 1000 to 2000) and polish them with some fine cut rubbing compound. I've never heard of anyone trying to bring back the shine of plastic lenses with clear coat. I'd re-sand them and just polish them with rubbing compound.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done this on multiple different tail light lenses. I haven't had any problems except on these.

SBP

Quick Reply: Need Help. Clearing Taillights.