Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil Cover Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Coil Cover Ideas

Guys.. I am think of fab'in up some Coil Covers for my Chevelle.. two routes.. OEM Corvette style Coil covers or some Valve Cover style.. What do you guys think..? Anyone got some pictures of there coil Covers ?

I would consider some aftermarket ones that you have seen from other manufactors... but as you can see.. I'd have to hack them up in the rear of each side and with my Fuel on the Passenger side and not on the Driver side.. Can't see spending $$$ and then just cutting them up!

These are just some Painted card board mod ups.

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about fabbing up some Big Block covers to fit...?

Starting to test fit the 6.0l in the 71 this week.....

Rick
Old 07-14-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the second style. Looks like some custom made valve covers.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I started cutting up some SBC valvecovers to fit my 6.0, but I need a few more tools to finish what I'm trying to do. After that I plan to redo them a bit cleaner/neater. I'm also looking into some BBC covers.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well post up what you come up with. Mine efforts are on hold.. to many other things going on. But I have the basic setup that I want (two options)... and RockyTopper has offered to do some WaterJettng if I need it !.. (cool). But, I guess this will be a Winter project to finish..

I had another thought of re-arranging the coils on top, by pointing the wire end backwards and still on top, cover them with valve cover like covers and then running longer plug wires out the back and down under the headers to keep the hidden, that way the covers will really look like valve covers without the plug wire coming out the side !?. what do you think guys ? (yeah.. now some one will either say they did that or steal my idea LOL).

Yeah.. I've seen someone post some picture of the SBC valve covers setup. But I guess we are only limited by what we can come up with as new and creative design and what limit we have on tools for the Fab'in part.

Too bad I don't have funds to buy some realy cool billet one or something.. So I guess it will be in to the shop for me... LOL..
Old 08-19-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine aren't nothin' special. Actually, mine look like crap at this stage. I'm still running the truck coil brackets, so the coils still stick out the top(intake side of the valve covers removed). I'm also running breathers on my setup, so I had to cut/clearance for those. Your idea looks a lot better.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

Default off topic

bczee - sent you a pm.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

These are bad to the bone

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/lo...hp?t41925.html
Old 08-20-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by rockytopper
wow....those don't look like they came cheap. very nice
Old 08-21-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

Here's mine again you have seen them. Notice not much left of the passenger side cover. Even after doing a card board mock up before sending to the jet it didn't fit as planned. After actually building mounting brackets the angles of the covers relative to the engine changed and hit the blower box and oil fill tube. Doesn't matter though after routing heater hoses and A/C hoses (still to come) you can't see the darn thing anyway.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Rocky...
I don't have as much running over the top as you do.. my AC compressor is down low and my heater hose run along the fenderwell.

I most likely will redo the Fuel inlet to be routed forward and run allong the manifold and out like the old way was.. that way my fuel rail inlet will not come out like it is now.

I also figure to keep the spark plug wire short or about the same.. I would invert the coils.. put #1 in the rear and the #5 in the front, that way the #1 would not be running from front to back and then backup to the front again. But I'll have to think about this for a while.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

And you didn't have that ugly auto trans stick to deal with either...
Old 08-22-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

JEgs has these:

Old 08-22-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Philntx - I was so close to buying a set of those for my truck a few years ago, but when I actually saw them on a engine, I didn't really like them as much. But they are pretty cool, just not the look I was going for.

Quick Reply: Coil Cover Ideas