Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple question about cleaning TB

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple question about cleaning TB

this is a dumb question i know but i just wanted to make sure before i do this.... i'm cleaning my throttle body with CRC throttle body cleaner, do i open the blade and actually spray into the intake? or just the outside part? i'm just a little nervous about spraying into the intake... thanks
Old 07-15-2008, 12:10 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The best way to clean your TB is to remove it. That way the junk coming off of it doesn't go inside your engine. It's very easy to remove, and the TB is held on by (3) 10mm bolts. Pull it off, clean away, and put it back on.

FWIW, unless you're TB is SERIOUSLY gunked up, you're not going to gain anything by cleaning it. That whole "clean your throttle body for better performance" is a crock. Something to think about if you're doing this simply because you assume it's going to make the car perform better, cause it won't unless you have a serious amount of junk in there.

Good luck
Old 07-15-2008, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, you should remove it. But It doesn't take much gunk to affect the performance. All it takes is a small amount of build up around the blade and in the hole of the blade.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get it ported and polished while its off.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It won't hurt anything if a little bit gets sprayed into the intake. That doesn't mean spray it directly into the intake though. Even if some chunks fall off the TB into the intake they're not going to hurt anything (it's just carbon/oil buildup anyways which won't hurt your internals). Only reason I've ever cleaned a TB specifically was when the TB on our '99 GMC Jimmy had the blade slightly sticking shut (had to give it a little extra gas for the blade to pop open).