Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

?bang for the buck door spkrs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ?bang for the buck door spkrs?

the door speakers in my firebird are taking a crap(crackling). I've looked into the alpine sps-170a and since they are discontinued (correct me if I'm wrong) they seem hard to come by. Basiclly I looking for the "bang for your buck" door speaker to use with the stock HU/amp. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Paul
Old 07-15-2008, 07:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Check with Kee Audio - he has some CDT components that will mount and wire just like the factory ones but sound much better.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mb Quart discus http://www.mbquart.com/en/produkte/car/

also alpine has the sps600 Type S 6.5" component available.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SPS-600 Type S 6.5" is the same as the SPS-170A, they changed the name for 08 but it is the same speaker. I have them for $87.00. Your car has components (seperate midbass driver and tweeter) though and to step backward to a coaxial would be a mistake. I do have the correct Alpine SPS-600C for $129.00 which is the component version of the SPS-600.
As Whitebird stated the CDT's are great speakers as well. A definite step up from the Alpine.
If your looking for something a bit more budget oriented I have do have some other components like the MA Audio Y30C6. These are very good budget components. I have one set left for $99.00.
Another option I can put together for you is a pair of CDT CL-6E (these are different then the CL-6 drivers I have on my site for $129.00) which are a stamped frame midbass driver and a slightly smaller magnet that still handles about 75watts rms and a set of CDT TW-19 tweeters for $109.00. These would not have crossovers but for a stock Monsoon system they would not be required anyway as the stock Monsoon splits the frequencies for you. I have an order of these coming next week.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crutchfield is clearing out the Alpines for $50. Going to be hard to beat that. Even though they are coaxials they'll sound better than stock. The stock tweeters component or not just don't have much output. There are definitely better speakers out there but not really worth it using the stock equipment to drive them imho.

I have discus components I picked up for my last install (Nissan truck, door+dash mounts) based upon previous good experience with MB's, but they are not good speakers for the money at all. It pains me to say that since I paid for and am using them, but they just aren't that good. Many better options for the price.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by todddchi
Crutchfield is clearing out the Alpines for $50. Going to be hard to beat that .
What Crutchfield is this? They have the Alpine SPS-600 for $99.00 with free shipping and the Alpine SPS-170a (the old model 6.5" Type-S) is listed as discontinued.