Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers still bang with poly mounts???

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers still bang with poly mounts???

I just installed Prothane poly motor mounts and everything on the car is poly including trans mount. My Y pipe for my pacesetter headers still bangs the floor pan when I drive.

It is only 1/8" from the floor but I was hoping the poly motor mounts would keep it from moving. Is it common for the motor to still twist 1/4" with poly motor mounts?

I revved up the motor and it doesn't move much but still moves 1/4" and combined with the car twisting while driving the y pipe bangs.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Try repositioning the Y pipe. The poly mounts can only do so much, they cant account for the rest of the hangers in the system. Look for broken rubber hangers/mounts along the exhaust piping. Maybe some are stretched or eroded. Maybe you just need to twist a pipe a little to position and angle better.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 07-15-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Launching!

you know thunder racing makes a really good bumpstop hanger for the y pipe. http://thunderracing.com/catalog/?ac...&vid=3&pcid=54

i know a lot of people that have used it and it has helped, it really helps with the banging and the knock sensor problem
Old 07-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Teching In

I don't think I can move the pipe to a more favorable position. I may have to just wrap some silicone or radiator hose around the exhaust where it rubs. It seems to do it the most when turning and hitting bumps.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would look at your hangers then, they're are just rubber and get stretched and loose resiliency (sp)

other than that the mufflex from Thunder Racing should work for you.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

try a free solution... i did this and it worked. remove the heat sheild above the y. all my banging was gone!
Old 07-15-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Try repositioning the Y pipe. The poly mounts can only do so much, they cant account for the rest of the hangers in the system. Look for broken rubber hangers/mounts along the exhaust piping. Maybe some are stretched or eroded. Maybe you just need to twist a pipe a little to position and angle better.
I have EDELBROCKS and the y banged at first...got under there and yanked down like ****...no more....bet it is your hangers/mounts..as said above.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice guys. I am trying everything but it is too close on the driver side of the Y-pipe and I can't bend it because of how it slips onto the header. I checked the 3 hangers and they all seem good. I even disconnected the exhaust from the y-pipe and the y-pipe is still 1/4" or less from the floor pan. The angle of header points slightly up and when I attach the y pipe it is close to the floor. The only thing I can think of is to use another hanger to keep it from moving or just put some rubber/silicone between the y pipe and floor pan.

I thought all my trouble of installing poly mounts would prevent this. I am suprised the motor can even move with the poly mounts much less move enough to cause banging. Maybe I can use a ratchet strap (torque strap) on the motor to keep it from moving at all.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Well I got under my car again and noticed that the 1/8" clearance was easily being used when the car twisted, braking, or just by prying on the exhaust I could get it to touch.

The motor still moves with the poly mounts but not nearly as much as it did with stock.

I fixed my banging problem by buying a silicone baking pan and cutting in and while I pryed on the exhaust I was able to slide it in between the floor pan and then I clamped it to the exhaust with hose clamps. I haven't heard any more banging but I do feel vibrations which I am assuming are from the motor mounts. The silicone sheets are soft enough that they should absorb the banging vibration and not cause knock retard and they should also withstand the heat from the exhaust since they are made to bake in an oven.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

loosen up the motor mounts and lift up on the pass side and that will drop the drivers side down

that should give you a little more room