Default how do i bleed cooling system

please someone help me , i changed coolant temp sensor, thermastat,
still running hot not overheating but 280-290 degrees then goes down to
190-200, i can't figure it out, someone mentioned bleeding cooling system,

Last edited by bgoldy; 07-16-2008 at 01:03 AM. Reason: need to be bold
Old 07-16-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The way I bleed mine is by putting the front end on ramps (LS1). If its an LT1 I believe they valve to burp the system
Old 07-16-2008, 01:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's how I do it and I have had no issues in the last 4 years. Works every time!

At the radiator, take off the tube coming from the steam tube (below the overflow tube) and hold it inside a cup with clean coolant. Plug the tube sticking out of the radiator so coolant doesn't leak out. Also, use a pinch clamp or vise grip (with something to protect the tube) on the overflow tube to shut that off.
Now fill the radiator with coolant/water mix and then pressurize the system for a bit (I just clean up the fill neck and use my lips over it to pressurize it, I don't imply you do it though). Keep doing this over and over until no air comes out the steam tube you dunked in the coolant filled cup. When you see a steady flow of coolant (no air bubbles), your system is purged. Reconnect everything and unclamp the overflow and do a final refill to make sure the radiator is full. YOU'RE DONE! Check again after you start it up and shut down.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got lucky. had my car on a hill unscrewed the screw at the end top hose and it blew it all out about 4 min straight wistling air out. scared me cause i thought i blew up the car day i bought it
Old 07-23-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea, it depends if you have an LT1 its a common problem, most people arent useto the reverse cooling, and refilling it causes airbubbles to form, which hinder coolant flow.

There are two bleed screws, one is on the thermostat housing, the other on the upper heater hose.

just run the car squeeze the hose until you feel that its getting pressure built up inside then bleed the valves, I usually just use the heater hose, always works for me
Old 09-03-2008, 06:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

how do you do it on the LS1?

Quick Reply: how do i bleed cooling system