Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Triple 10's or Dual 12's with Subthumps t-top box.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Location: Heidelberg Germany (1.4 miles from famous Hockenheim Ring)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triple 10's or Dual 12's with Subthumps t-top box.

OK guys, i'm planning on upgrading the low freq of my sound system, and i'm stuck between either going for Dual 12's or Triple 10's. Is there a big difference in the sound? if it depends what i'm listining to, i love metal, but in a car it's mostly going to be something techno or rap, something with alot of bass.

Also, i dont know what speakers/amps sound best with that type of setup so please give me some input on that as well! I'm not looking for something too expensive but i dont to cheap out with it either, just something that sounds really good!

Thanks,
Matt
Old 07-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

oh and also, i wouldnt mind being heard from afar with my bass.... at least until i redo my exhaust
Old 07-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I'd go with 2 good 12" subs. That looks to be my next tweak to my sound system. Fi, RE Audio, TC Sounds, CDT, Adire, DD and several others make some nice subs.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
Personally I'd go with 2 good 12" subs. That looks to be my next tweak to my sound system. Fi, RE Audio, TC Sounds, CDT, Adire, DD and several others make some nice subs.
Alright cool man, if you were to pick 2, which ones would you go for? also, do you ship over seas? if so that would be perfect
Old 07-16-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

i would do two 10's and one 12........... the 10's to "hit" and the 12 to "carry" the long deep bass.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Banned

If you use the right 12's they will hit both frequencies equally well. I personally use the RE Audio SE10's (the 12's are the SE12) with excellent performance. A couple of others use the FiQ series but they are pricey but worth the money. I also have the CDT HD-SQ12's that are very good subs and the new CDT ES-SQ series subs.
As for picking 2 it would really depend on price range. Non are cheap but they are all good quality and some are less expensive then others.
I have never shipped to Germany but would be willing to although it probably would not be cheap due to the weight of these type of subs. Generally about 25lbs+. I would guess.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Gold: I would but it wouldn't fit unless I put the 2 12's in the t-top box and the 1 10 in the stealth enclosure I'm using now, I don't think the guy that put it in knew what he was doing connecting the amp through the hatch speaker wire and using an amp that was made for mid to high frequency's... my bass sucks >.<

He also ruined my door panels by cutting a horrible circle in there to put tweeters in.

Kee, I'll look into the subs, although I see they're not on your site? One last thing is, got any idea on amps to use? 2 channel? 2 single sub amps?

P.S. When I do this, i think I'll have to leave the sub enclosure in the left side, as the original guy doesn't have the piece that goes there. I don't think it really matters, but I rather spend my money on this right now, Don't know that PN or the cost... Sorta' don't want to!
Old 07-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

OK guys, what i've decided to do now is get the T-top box and 2 cheap E-Bay speakers that will have to suffice. I will get some Fi.q's later. All i need to do is get Amp(s), which i need help with
Old 07-17-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

2 12's in the t-top box, 2 10's on either side in stealthbox enclosures.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

haha, that would be nice, but i'm using all of my savings on the t-top box and 2 cheep subs. Realizing how big the enclosure is, i wrote a mail to subthump asking if they'd even be able to ship that over here. If not, i'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a new amp to improve my bass, as this one is not loud at all and it doesn't have a very good low freq. my piece of **** sub can do for now tho, it's about to fall apart, the cone piece started comming off and you couldnt even tell i had a sub, all it did was rattle. i just glued it back on, been sounding like before for 4 months so far xD
Old 07-17-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

too bad you are way far away. I have a sub sitting in my closet that has been there for like 4 years. i'd sell it for cheap to get it out of my house. it was part of a dual 2 10" setup that went in my t-top space. I opted for a bigger amp and a stealth box that only runs 1 of them. It is louder than when I had the 2. the firing angle is awesome on stealth boxes.

what amp and sub do you have now?
Old 07-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

yeah, it wouldnt be too bad, I emailed Subthump, and they said they only ship to US addresses, so i'll ship it over to my brother and have him ship it here, if he can't i'll just have to wait with that until i move back to the states for WVU next year.... But i still need some answers on good amps! i know you dont really know what exactly to get with no sub info, like power and ohms and that ****. But if you could just give me some info on some good companies that have good lines of amps, i'll be able to figure the rest out my self. What about JL audio?
Old 07-18-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

JL Audio is awesome. I had a buddy with a 01? maybe 1500 dodge truck. Had 2 either w6 or w3's. they were 10" I believe in a custom fiberglass box. It made my nostrils vibrate so much when I breathed in I just kept sneezing. It was pretty funny.

I am about to add a sub to my infiniti. I will be going with the JL 250w rms slash v2 amp and the 10" w3. From what others with the G35 said this is the perfect amount of bass to hit hard but not be rattling everything to crap. I recommend JL but there can be good systems just pieced together.

The system I have in my bird is all pretty much no name stuff, er cheap name stuff. i.e. Boss, visonik, quantum audio, etc. I have had lots of complements about my system. I did it all myself and took my time to make sure everything sounded great. So don't think you HAVE to spend money to get sound. I am going JL for my infiniti because I don't want cheaper stuff in my expensive car. even though my bird sounds great. I guess like a status thing?....
Old 07-18-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

2 15" L7s if you want HUGE BASS
but it wont be a t-topbox
Old 07-18-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

I've never had anything larger than 12" but it seems like overkill. I also have not heard 2 15" L7's before either. 2 10" L7's yes, and they were a pain to power, sounded great but man did they need power. I couldn't imagine the demand of 2 15"
Old 07-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Banned

I have heard 2 15" L7's in of all things a 2 door Ford Focus....lol!!! They were powered by a 1000/1 JL amp and it was very loud. However once you get past the loud factor, it really didn't sound great. Just loud.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

I have 2 Jl W7 10's in a sealed box powered by a 1000x1 amp and it's rumps plenty loud. I couldn't imagine it in a small coupe.....

One thing I'm going to change is run second 1000 amp, those W7 can take a pounding and I've had 2 18's before. Great sound quality.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Banned

I did 4 13W7's in a Silverado powered by 2 1000/1 amps and a 400/4 for a set of 3-way components in a silverado extend cab. It was absolutley deafening but really cool.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Lol, sounds like you guys have had some fun experiences ^^ Well i guess i'll look into JL Audio for my amp selection!
Old 07-18-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

I did 4 13W7's in a Silverado powered by 2 1000/1 amps and a 400/4 for a set of 3-way components in a silverado extend cab. It was absolutley deafening but really cool.
One set of 3-ways or two sets? Run just the tweeters on the 2 front channels?
I've always liked MBquart Q-form components. When I had 2 sets in my camaro, with the monsoon, they sounded like ****. When I ran a PPI 400x4 to just one set of q-forms, the sound was crystal with any kind of music. From my experience overpower and under produce will take away that harshness from playing music "loud"....with good components.

One 13W7 and 1000x1 I think would be plenty. Alpine makes some new amps that are very small and powerful.