Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Good Adjustment For Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 03:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Good Adjustment For Shocks?

I have QA1 adjustable shocks.. I'm not really sure which is better for what, as far as compression vs. rebound..

I want the car to handle the best it can through turns.. Any advice as far as how I should adjust them? I had to stiffen the rear cuz i bottom out when i hit bumps lol..
Old 07-17-2008, 07:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
I have QA1 adjustable shocks.. I'm not really sure which is better for what, as far as compression vs. rebound..

I want the car to handle the best it can through turns.. Any advice as far as how I should adjust them? I had to stiffen the rear cuz i bottom out when i hit bumps lol..
Is this mostly a strip car, or did you convert to a corner craver now?
If you really want to corner crave I would buy shocks made for it, as I hope you know QA1's are drag shocks, and no matter how you adjust them they will be still be lacking. Do you feel that the car is floaty or disconnected? Heres a good read:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...45#post8344345
Old 07-17-2008, 08:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, in my position, (street car) QA1's are big piles of crap. Lol.. well it looks like the Koni's are badass then huh?

Here's my current setup if you wanna look at it:

-Autofab coil over system with QA1 adjustable shocks
-BMR tubular K member
-The car is lowered (not sure what kit)
-HPA sub frame connectors
-BMR strut tower brace
-Lower control arms and relocating brackets

Bought the car like that^

So basically, yes, I want the car to feel like a Corvette, Porsche, or however you'd like to put it. Plus, my lord, I am getting extremely annoyed at the SLAM my rear makes when I hit a bump. I absolutely do not like the feeling that I cannot go as fast as I want without having to worry about a bump. It sounds like I slammed into a deer in the back.

So what kind of Koni's (or anything else) should I look at?
I'm not the most intelligent in the suspension department, so I appreciate the help.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look into Koni SAs. If your on a budget, look at stranoparts.com or call Sam Strano and ask for the 3/4 kit. Also if your car has coilovers like you mentioned, then thats why your car is lowered. That is the lowering kit. Those coilovers may or may not work with the Konis though, so ask around. You may have to get a whole new spring/shock package... which isn't a bad thing, just a pricey one.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

For the front QA1 DAs try 6-9 clicks compression, and 9-14 clicks rebound.
For trhe rear QA1 DAs try 1-3 clicks compression, and 6-10 clicks rebound.
You also might try adjusting your rear ride height up 1/2" - 1" that should help with the rear suspension bottoming out.
Also you can get different (stiffer) springs to mount on the coilovers

And yeah! I have to agree with everybody, you can do a lot better handling wise than with QA1s.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
So, in my position, (street car) QA1's are big piles of crap. Lol.. well it looks like the Koni's are badass then huh?

Here's my current setup if you wanna look at it:

-Autofab coil over system with QA1 adjustable shocks
-BMR tubular K member
-The car is lowered (not sure what kit)
-HPA sub frame connectors
-BMR strut tower brace
-Lower control arms and relocating brackets

Bought the car like that^

So basically, yes, I want the car to feel like a Corvette, Porsche, or however you'd like to put it. Plus, my lord, I am getting extremely annoyed at the SLAM my rear makes when I hit a bump. I absolutely do not like the feeling that I cannot go as fast as I want without having to worry about a bump. It sounds like I slammed into a deer in the back.

So what kind of Koni's (or anything else) should I look at?
I'm not the most intelligent in the suspension department, so I appreciate the help.
Give Sam Strano a call at stranoparts.com, he'll answer anything you need and then some. The QA1's are certainly going to have to go, and the relocation brackets aren't helping any with handling.
With his suspension you won't believe you are driving the same car as before... Keep us updated with this, I'd like to hear the outcome.

Quick Reply: Good Adjustment For Shocks?