Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" Just bought NEED TIPS

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9" Just bought NEED TIPS

I Just bought a new housing moser 9" for my 4th gen
I have the center built complete.

I really don't know where to start on assembling it.

Can someone give me a walk tru or a link that can help me!

i want to do this right the first time.

Thanks Guys

Jaron
Old 07-17-2008, 11:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jaronk56
I Just bought a new housing moser 9" for my 4th gen
I have the center built complete.

I really don't know where to start on assembling it.

Can someone give me a walk tru or a link that can help me!

i want to do this right the first time.

Thanks Guys

Jaron
I installed the housing into the car 1st. Had to elongate the holes on the stock parking brake mount brackets to get them to fit on the 9" lower LCA brackets. used a dermel for this.

After the housing/LCA's/shocks/springs/brake brackets/panhard were installed I bolted in the center section. Be sure to put some RTV around the base of each of the studs when installing the gasket/nuts or it'll see once you fill it w/ fluid (found that out the hard way and had to reseal the bolts ). I torqued the nuts for the center section to around 48ft/lbs.

Once that was in I installed the torque arm mount. 3x 1 1/8" bolts. Torqued them w/ a big-a$$ed breaker bar till I pulled a bicep muscle Installed the torque arm after that. As a note you'll need an adjustable torque arm. I have the UMI chassis-mounted arm myself. Had to shorten the upper rod end as short as it would go (no threads showing) so that the forward mount wasn't pushed too far forward. Once done w/ that and the torque arm is installed.....I installed the driveshaft and then set the pinion angle to -2 degrees.

Axles seals were next. You'll need a seal installer (circular discs w/ a aluminum/wood handle to pound the seals in). They are recessed into the axle housings a good 3". I coated the outside ring of the seal w/ high-temp RTV to prevent possible leaks before tapping them into place. After that I used axle grease on the rest of the axle housing/inner seal lip where the axle/axle bearing install. This is a TIGHT fit. Got the splines engaged, and then had to tap on the end of the axle lightly w/ a soft hammer to get them fully seated. Installed the 4x retention bolts after that. Those are a bit tricky as space is limited between the axle-end of the housing and the backing plate.

Once that's in....you're basically done. I poured in 3qts Lucas 80W90 conventional gear lube, rechecked all the torques, and took her for a drive.

I varied the speed/RPM's on the car constantly driving through town for the 1st 30 miles. Drove "normally" for another 30 miles.......then beat on it to see how it acted. Doing the above I've had no issue thus far. Have 350 miles on it now

Good luck. It's a very straight-forward process.....just requires attention to detail and some big sockets/ high torque specs
Old 07-17-2008, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

I have a 9" as well and I am wondering what to do with the brakelines that mounted on the old housing. What do you do to keep them in place? Zip Ties I guess but that kinda seems hackish.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dwn Cam
I have a 9" as well and I am wondering what to do with the brakelines that mounted on the old housing. What do you do to keep them in place? Zip Ties I guess but that kinda seems hackish.
Zip ties are exactly what to use. Do it neatly and they'll look near factory.

I guess if you're **** beyond belief you could tack-weld factory-style clamps to the housing to resecure the lines..... I'm pretty picky, but I even went w/ the zip-ties
Old 07-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Thanks Schantin to take the time!

I got some newb questions

Why did u put the center in after u installed the housing? Isn't it easier to do the opposite?

. did you use a gasket? I know on the 10 bolt they say u should just use silicone.. should i go buy a gasket?

The axle retention plate... is that just the brake bracket??

and I NEED A TORQUE ARM No matter what? stock one will not work at all?

There are two inner seals do i just pop those in the inside of the axel tubes right before installing the center?

I know my 10 bolt like the back of my hand not my 9 " well i hope i never have to know it

I just lifted the car up today. just looked didnt do any work yet

THANK! so MUCH!
Old 07-17-2008, 06:02 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145

The info here may help, although some of the pic's are missing. Bob
Old 07-17-2008, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jaronk56
Thanks Schantin to take the time!
m the car and lift the 9" into it.
I got some newb questions

Why did u put the center in after u installed the housing? Isn't it easier to do the opposite?

The housing weighs about 90lbs. The center section weighs another 85lbs. Much easier to lift 90lbs than 175. Isn't hard to install the center w/ the housing in the car. BTW, I had the car on jackstands and used a motorcycle jack to lower the old 10-bolt from the car + raise the 9" into place

. did you use a gasket? I know on the 10 bolt they say u should just use silicone.. should i go buy a gasket?

Yes, you need a gasket. If the rear didn't come with one, go to the local chain auto parts store and tell them you have a 1973 Lincoln or similiar. They use 9" rears and the gaskets are universal. The gasket not only seals the center section to the housing, but adds a bit of "shimming" because of it's thickness

The axle retention plate... is that just the brake bracket??

NO. The brake bracket is attached through the lower LCA bolt. The axles bearings are held in by 4x bolts that go through the stock caliper backing plates and attach to the ends of the axle housing.

and I NEED A TORQUE ARM No matter what? stock one will not work at all?

Stock torque arm will NOT work. A Spohn, UMI, or BMR adjustable type is needed.

There are two inner seals do i just pop those in the inside of the axel tubes right before installing the center?

The 2x axle seals press in at the ENDS of the axle housing and the outer axle bearing (where the backing plates are) g just outboard of these seals. It's easy to see when looking at the housing ends and the axles. BTW, the passanger side axle is LONGER than the diver side. This is important when installing the backing plates before having the axle bearings pressed into place.

I know my 10 bolt like the back of my hand not my 9 " well i hope i never have to know it

I just lifted the car up today. just looked didnt do any work yet

Things will be much clearer when you drop that 10-bolt and begin the 9" install. It's pretty darn easy if you take your time and have a plan

THANK! so MUCH!
Good luck. BTW, Bob's site at EPP does have a lot of pics that help answer Q's on the install process.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The stock torque arm WILL work, it's just not optimal and your pinion angle MAY be off a little. In fact my stock torque arm fit the 9" better than my Spohn adjustable TA does. Buddy of mine has been running the stock torque arm with his moser 9" for 3 yrs and no problems at all.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
The stock torque arm WILL work, it's just not optimal and your pinion angle MAY be off a little. In fact my stock torque arm fit the 9" better than my Spohn adjustable TA does. Buddy of mine has been running the stock torque arm with his moser 9" for 3 yrs and no problems at all.
Interesting info. How's the pinion angle w/ the stock arm? I had to shorten the crap outta the UMI arm to get things right...............
Old 07-18-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The housing needs cleaned thoroughly first. Lots of welding spatter and dirt is inside the tubes. Compressed air and brake cleaner is best. Finish with clean white rags pushed through the tubes till they're clean.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Schantin
Interesting info. How's the pinion angle w/ the stock arm? I had to shorten the crap outta the UMI arm to get things right...............
Never checked it before I put the spohn TA in, but if it was off it wasn't by much. I had the stock ds and tq arm with my 9" on power tour this year......no vibrations past 100mph.