Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Left Side Speakers Sound Like Crap.. PROBLEM!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 04:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Left Side Speakers Sound Like Crap.. PROBLEM!!

Alright, so recently I installed $130 alpines in the rear sails. At that time I didnt have a speaker in my driver door. The speaker in the drivers side sail rattled like a speaker on crack, so I thought it was shipped dead or something. So i disconnected it today.

My new front door speakers came today too. I installed the passenger one, and it sounde amazing. Then, I put in the drivers side, it sounds okay, i crank it up, and it's doing the SAME thing the sail panel speaker did. They are powered by an amplifier, 400 watts maybe, I dont remember it's not posted on the amp.
But the amp is only powering the doors and the sails.

Now, why would only the LEFT side be doing this .. rattling, cone bouncing.. ...stuff.

My head unit's balance is in the middle too, so..
The right side sounds great, its just the left thats bad.
please help
Old 07-17-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... this is a weird problem. I guess check your amp grounding. make sure it is secure. then check the wires ran to your speakers make sure you didn't mess them up somehow (I accicently drilled into one of mine putting the trim back on)

check and see if there is a balance on your amp too. does it have a built in cross-over?
Old 07-17-2008, 04:54 PM
11 Second Club

If the ground wasn't right, I would expect all the speakers to be having this problem right?
Well recently I was trying to mount my amp rack a little better then I have it now, and next thing I know I blew the fuse for the amp somehow so I might have hit something with a screw. Only thing is, I tried to install speakers a long time ago too, before this drilling incident, and the same thing happened. I thought it was the speaker causing the problem so I sent it back. Could the type of wire cause a problem also?
I'm gonna check if I have those turn **** like things for the balance like you said, maybe I hit a switch or something.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

yea most likely all speakers would mess up with a grounding problem but I have seen amps do wierd things when they only have small ground connection.

You replaced that fuse right? It could be the wire. what gauge are you using? 18 gauge is the usual car audio for speakers.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:22 PM
11 Second Club

thanks alot man, I had honestly completely forgot about the setting on the amplifier itself lol. The Crossover was set on FULL for all 4 channels.. I turned it to HPF.. whatever that means (LOL) and everything is perfect now.

Can anyone please explain this crossover stuff? lol
Old 07-17-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

HPF is high pass filter. it only allows the high frequencies to pass and stops the lower frequencies. There is usually a **** that allows you to tune up or down the range of frequencies blocked.

cross-overs help take in the original signal and then split that signal into the appropriate frequencies for each amp and channel. I have a cross over and it is setup to take all low freq. with the Low pass filter and send only lows to my sub amp. then the highs that are left over and within the range of my HPF are sent to my 4-channel amp for my highs.

I am thinking it was sending lows to your left door speaker. that is why it was rattling and acting wierd. glad I could help