Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'll soon be joining the family...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I'll soon be joining the family...

I've been "shopping" for my first Pro-Touring project car for about a year now. Sunday I found a car at the Pomona Swap Meet that I couldn't pass up.

It's a rust free 1970 Nova with ~86,000 miles on the chassis.

Looks like the car has the original paint, exception being the areas that have been sanded off. The guy I bought it from had taken the paint off "to show that it was rust free car".

38 years old and no rust. Gotta love west coast cars!

The car was originally 6 cylinder 3 speed column shift car. Still has the dead pedal which should come in handy with my future plans.

Somewhere down the road a previous owner installed a fuel injected 4.3ltr V6 w/4L60. Not my choice for a swap, but certainly different.

I was told that the car had been sitting "for a while" but it ran good. So, to get it home I decided to "test" out how good it was. We loaded and drove the Nova 105+ miles to a friends house in San Diego. Even though the 4.3 wasn't singing to full song the car made the trip without issue.

Haven't laid out the exact plan yet, but the main idea centers around motivation from a LS motor w/T56 and a host of Pro Touring gear (brakes, suspension, etc).

For the short term. My buddy is going to throw some primer over the bald spots. Once that's done I will get the car home and start tinkering with it. Plan is to drive it while I collect parts. Should be fun!

Donations and sponsors welcome
Old 07-17-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like project blue hair. Looks like a nice clean car to start with. Keep updating the thread.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

You guys in California get good weather AND rustfree cars? That pisses me off! That's a damn nice looking car, good luck with your build. Should be fun.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
You guys in California get good weather AND rustfree cars? That pisses me off! That's a damn nice looking car, good luck with your build. Should be fun.
Yeah.. just think. I had to go on Power Tour to get rained on

You have any engine bay shot of your Nova?
Old 07-19-2008, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Nice car I have always loved the Nova. Good luck keep us updated.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WILWAXU

You have any engine bay shot of your Nova?
This is the best pic I have, this was taken on Power Tour 2001, so it's still clean.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Ummm, well that worked so good it almost didn't work at all! That pic is so small you can't see anything. Hmmm, try this. http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl.../photo_10.html
Old 07-21-2008, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sweet! Thanks for the pictures!
Old 07-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Launching!

Nice score. I have always liked that body style and you got one that is rust free and looks pretty darn good.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Parts I've collected in the last 2 weeks:

LS2 Long Block
LS2 Intake (Thanks Tony)
LS2/7 Throttle Body
LS2/7 Coil packs and plug wires
Complete T56 setup including Pro-50 shifter, clutch and hydraulics.

Just need to collect the rest of the small stuff for the motor. I'll probably order that today or first of next week
Old 07-27-2008, 09:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ummm, well that worked so good it almost didn't work at all! That pic is so small you can't see anything. Hmmm, try this. http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl.../photo_10.html

Where did you pickup those air inlet tubes from? Looks just about what I will need.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ssduane
Where did you pickup those air inlet tubes from? Looks just about what I will need.
Hehehe, ok, are you ready for this? Keep in mind this swap was done almost 8 years ago, (and I'm cheap) but you might be able to still find them. They are off a Dodge Diplomat and other Chrysler cars that are that bodystyle, I got two of them at a pick-a-part for dirt cheap. If you go looking for them, you might not see them right away because only about an inch is visible in the car. They are IN the left front fender. They usually have a hose that hooks to them and to the air cleaner. They are plastic, and it's a snug fit to the maf sensor, but I put a hose clamp on them anyway. It's not real hi-tech, but it's functional.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hehehe, ok, are you ready for this? Keep in mind this swap was done almost 8 years ago, (and I'm cheap) but you might be able to still find them. They are off a Dodge Diplomat and other Chrysler cars that are that bodystyle, I got two of them at a pick-a-part for dirt cheap. If you go looking for them, you might not see them right away because only about an inch is visible in the car. They are IN the left front fender. They usually have a hose that hooks to them and to the air cleaner. They are plastic, and it's a snug fit to the maf sensor, but I put a hose clamp on them anyway. It's not real hi-tech, but it's functional.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Found a surprise under the Nova.

Someone has installed a power rack. Don't recognize the kit.. might be something someone cooked up.

The "new" look

Black etch coat primer was sprayed to cover all the bald spots from previous owner. Not pretty, but MUCH better than bare metal.

3 point retractable seat belts install.

Got the car back from San Diego last weekend.

Had the windshield replaced and got all the DMV stuff done this past week.

This weekend I installed the 3 point seat belts, cleaned it up, did a tune up, and tinkered around with some of the small wiring gremlins.

The waiting parts list is growing. Picked up a subframe with DSE coil over conversion already done, along with the arms and Koni's.

Have the rest of the small engine parts on there way, just need to finalize my plans for the front accessories.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Looks like the beginning of a very nice project!
Old 08-23-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default love-it

When you start with a nice car for a resto project, you will end up with a really nice car! I can't wait to see the progress. Shore wish rust wasn't an issue were i'm from.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Picked up some "new" shoes for the Nova today at the Long Beach swap meet. Got an killer deal on a set of Camaro SS wheels/tires & 2" adapters.

Threw them on the car for mock up. Tires are 245/45/17's.

2 of the rims came with 275/40 17 BFG drag radials. They fit in the back by a hair. With a lip roll they would have worked, but more than likely I'll just pick up another set of 245's and just run those on all the way around for now.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

Sweet man! Those wheels don't look too bad on there.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
Picked up some "new" shoes for the Nova today at the Long Beach swap meet. Got an killer deal on a set of Camaro SS wheels/tires & 2" adapters.

Threw them on the car for mock up. Tires are 245/45/17's.

2 of the rims came with 275/40 17 BFG drag radials. They fit in the back by a hair. With a lip roll they would have worked, but more than likely I'll just pick up another set of 245's and just run those on all the way around for now.
man i love it all ready! you're not wasting your time with that car! the wheels and paint look great, gives a subtle hint of rat rod, but still maintains sleeper look.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:26 AM
On The Tree

How about a 4.2 out of a Trailblazer w/T56, now that would be a first for sure. Looks great and its nice to see another 3rd gen Nova gettin some attention. We're kinda out numbered around here, Camaro's get most of the swaps.
Attached Thumbnails I'll soon be joining the family...-100_1562-small.jpg   I'll soon be joining the family...-100_1521-small.jpg   I'll soon be joining the family...-house-random-129-ii.jpg  

Quick Reply: I'll soon be joining the family...