Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

gear whining problem, overheating....

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 04:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gear whining problem, overheating....

Had 4.10's for the 10bolt laying around and decided to put them in the SS. Long story short, needed alot of shimming and i didn't wanna go back and forth to have bearing pressed, so on so forth. Took the car to AAMCO to have it set up. After i picked up the car made no noise whatsoever, then i could noticed a burning (gear oil) smell and looked under the car, the rear end was smoking and i checked the temp...was 241 degrees! I took it back to have them look at it, a few minutes later they pulled it out and said it was ok. 2 days later, i just got off the highway and smoke was rolling out the back of the car, and then the gears started whining BIG TIME. Took the car back again, i went out in the shop this time when they had the cover off, and turns out, it had ZERO backlash whatsoever. Don't know about gear contact, they said it was "fine", lol...right. I told them they need to reset it up and get proper backlash...they haven't been very nice BTW, even cussing about it with me on the phone, even though its under warrenty and less than a week old. I was wondering after the gears to get setup right, do you think they will still whine from overheating like that? Its the AAMCO on North Oak Trfky BTW. I WOULD NOT go there for rear end work!
Old 07-18-2008, 09:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scidav87
Had 4.10's for the 10bolt laying around and decided to put them in the SS. Long story short, needed alot of shimming and i didn't wanna go back and forth to have bearing pressed, so on so forth. Took the car to AAMCO to have it set up. After i picked up the car made no noise whatsoever, then i could noticed a burning (gear oil) smell and looked under the car, the rear end was smoking and i checked the temp...was 241 degrees! I took it back to have them look at it, a few minutes later they pulled it out and said it was ok. 2 days later, i just got off the highway and smoke was rolling out the back of the car, and then the gears started whining BIG TIME. Took the car back again, i went out in the shop this time when they had the cover off, and turns out, it had ZERO backlash whatsoever. Don't know about gear contact, they said it was "fine", lol...right. I told them they need to reset it up and get proper backlash...they haven't been very nice BTW, even cussing about it with me on the phone, even though its under warrenty and less than a week old. I was wondering after the gears to get setup right, do you think they will still whine from overheating like that? Its the AAMCO on North Oak Trfky BTW. I WOULD NOT go there for rear end work!

Had a similiar prob w/ my Camaro when the Chevy dealer reset my gears a few years ago. They used CONVENTIONAL gear oil, NOT SYNTHETIC in the differential. The conventional oil will cause the symptoms you describe....exactly as you describe. If you look at the GM part # for rear diff fluid in a Z28/SS.....it's synthetic fluid.

When I switched to full synthetic gear oil + the limited slip additive, problem went away. Worth giving it a try

Good luck
Old 07-18-2008, 04:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks
Old 07-21-2008, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Schantin
Had a similiar prob w/ my Camaro when the Chevy dealer reset my gears a few years ago. They used CONVENTIONAL gear oil, NOT SYNTHETIC in the differential. The conventional oil will cause the symptoms you describe....exactly as you describe. If you look at the GM part # for rear diff fluid in a Z28/SS.....it's synthetic fluid.

When I switched to full synthetic gear oil + the limited slip additive, problem went away. Worth giving it a try

Good luck
Ya this is completely false. Any 80/90 gear oil will work fine.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Ya this is completely false. Any 80/90 gear oil will work fine.
Thats what i was told too by my builder, its working just fine.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scidav87
This is what happens when dumb asses don't know what there doing, sorry so blunt, but its TRUE, they screwed up plain & simple, i just had my 4.11s installed (in a 9") at a gear place in Springfield, Mo., was told they do great work & are well respected, they are Yukons, as i left i said, i hope there quiet, he said they will be fine, you'll be happy with them, well wouldn't you know it, there GREAT, i ask about the heat cycling, he looked at me funny & said, well you can i guess lol, but most just take them out & let it rip without issues or noise.