Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

g5x2 cam on stock stuff???

Old 08-24-2003, 05:55 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default g5x2 cam on stock stuff???

can I run a g5-x2 on my stock stuff(till I can save up for heads)???
I am thinking about one of these but do not know If I can just put it in....Do I need reliefs??? is it safe for PtV clearance???
Old 08-24-2003, 07:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: g5x2 cam on stock stuff???

Yes, you can run the G5X-2 on stock heads with no issues on p/v clearance. It will work real well with your exhaust setup.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would not put this large of a lift cam in a daily driver. I put this cam in my C5 on a 114 LSA and broke a dual spring within 6 months of occasional driving. I have had several people call me with this cam that had broken REV springs, Comp 918 springs, Comp 987 springs, broken rockers and one guy with a broken engine as a result of rocker bearings in his engine. Get a cam with .570" lift or less, hope this helps.
Brian Tooley
Old 08-24-2003, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would not put this large of a lift cam in a daily driver. I put this cam in my C5 on a 114 LSA and broke a dual spring within 6 months of occasional driving. I have had several people call me with this cam that had broken REV springs, Comp 918 springs, Comp 987 springs, broken rockers and one guy with a broken engine as a result of rocker bearings in his engine. Get a cam with .570" lift or less, hope this helps.
Brian Tooley
Brian,

I'm just curious but what spring did you break, a REV? How many 987's have you heard of breaking so far? I'd imagine the 918's wouldn't hold up too well and I have heard quite a few of the REV springs breaking.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:46 AM
8 Second Club

I already have an MTI X1 coming...but I will probably sell it and get a G5-x2 From LG if ITs still reasonalble to put in a daily driver.....
I want some MEan Lope...and MAd Power....
Old 08-24-2003, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I broke a Comp 987 inner only, the only reason I found it is the car used to go 7000 on the dyno and now it only goes 6700. We decided to go with the Comp 978 and when we pulled the 987 we found a broke inner. The springs had lost about 20-30 lbs of pressure. This cam is brutal on springs. We have seen another fast ramp Comp cam break 987 inners with only .588" lift. Hince the less then .570" lift rule on a daily driver, or more lift with less ramp speed. We are trying to have the first TEA Stg 1.5 head to go 9's, it went right at 10.50/129 in the heat last weekend. Should we take bets on the stock exhaust valve going 9's?
Brian Tooley
Old 08-24-2003, 11:57 AM
8 Second Club

Looking for more insight...I think maybe you have had a bad string of luck....
Old 08-24-2003, 11:58 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That would be awesome Brent.. I am surprised my car is still holding strong.. I have more than .570 lift and the ramp rates on this bad boy is brutal as well. I am running 918's. So far I have noticed no issues.. The car still peaks at 6600 rpm.. Its on a 114 lsa..
Old 08-24-2003, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

I broke a Comp 987 inner only, the only reason I found it is the car used to go 7000 on the dyno and now it only goes 6700. We decided to go with the Comp 978 and when we pulled the 987 we found a broke inner. The springs had lost about 20-30 lbs of pressure. This cam is brutal on springs. We have seen another fast ramp Comp cam break 987 inners with only .588" lift. Hince the less then .570" lift rule on a daily driver, or more lift with less ramp speed. We are trying to have the first TEA Stg 1.5 head to go 9's, it went right at 10.50/129 in the heat last weekend. Should we take bets on the stock exhaust valve going 9's?
Brian Tooley
LG recommends only going with the REV dual springs or the Isky Gold 295-D's with this cam.

The Comps 987 springs aren't really any better than the 918's which only go to a .600 lift.

If you put in springs that weren't made for the G5X2 lift of course it will break.

The G5X2 is fine for a daily driver, but you need the right springs to begin with.

BTW, LG sells all the parts needed as a kit.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

"Looking for more insight...I think maybe you have had a bad string of luck"

I talk to dozens of people a day, many are not going to post their bad luck with a sponsors parts, or the posts get deleted. Did I mention that we probably sell more LS1 heads then anyone in the country?

"If you put in springs that weren't made for the G5X2 lift of course it will break."

So a Comp spring made for this Comp Cam (the int and exh lobes are right out of the book) is not the right spring? More people have broken REV duals with this cam then the Comps.

"The G5X2 is fine for a daily driver, but you need the right springs to begin with."

And how much hands on experience do YOU have with this cam? I glad there are so many experts armed with keyboards, I thought I would try to give some real world, first hand experience on this subject but I can see there are far too many experts for me to help with this subject.

I have a 9 sec barrier to break, Later

Brian
Old 08-24-2003, 01:38 PM
8 Second Club

sorry to step on toes...I dont want tocause a ruckus...I just want more response...I need people to agree before I can go with somebody's answer....because there are too many idiots armed with keyboards.... I used to drive a Low 9sec Hemi...until it got totaled...while sitting in my driveway...by a drunk dumbass in a big truck...driving 60 thru the neighborhood...Did I say DRUNK!!....

I do not have the insight in the LS1 engine that some others do...but I do understand Basic Engine Physics... and I do Know where I want to go with it..... With My Hemi I had some expert help building it...did most of the work myself...but still had the pro tellin me what to get...on this one..I am on my own...back to the Springs statement...

It doesnt make one bit of difference what spring you pu in if they are not the right ones....I know that...but If you are breaking them...and a differnt one is recommended by LG...then is it possible you have the wrong springs...or Is it a comp cam with comp springs...being sold by LG??? Springs can break for a lot of reasons....but if you have the right ones they should hold just fine...If you do what is recommended...like getting the car hot before High revs..

I should have put a ? after my bad luck statement...because I have read no other braeking my stuff stories on this cam(and I am sick of reading the stories) I just wonder if MAybe it was just a weak spring...and not the cam's fault...
Lots of guys with bigger...not having any springs problems... like I saked here just a little bit ago....Did you get he kit recommended...or a comp cams "equivelant"...If it was a different brand of springs...then it is not the recommended springs....hence the breaking...I take it back if thats what the recommended springs are...and if so...Is LG calling a comp cams camshaft their own creation??? I dont want to hit anybody on this topic...but I know a lot of companys buy cams that they have designed for them...but some of them do try to play like they were grinding it down themselves...

Sorry to ramble....
sorry to rant...
sorry to **** off anybody....
I just want more people with experience in this cam....

and good luck on Hitting the 9's thatyou want...I hope you make it.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

So a Comp spring made for this Comp Cam (the int and exh lobes are right out of the book) is not the right spring? More people have broken REV duals with this cam then the Comps.

Bingo, Brian is right here. I've heard of several of the REV's breaking so far and very few of the Comp dual springs. I have 987's in my LS6 heads and I was told they were set up to take up to .700 lift before they bind.

A lot of the misinformation given about these springs are what is listed in the Comp Cams catalog, in which most of the information is referenced to standard SBC setups which many of rarely go much beyond .500 lift. The LS1 is a different animal however. To say the 987's aren't any stronger than 918's is ridiculous. The comp duals are better springs than the REV's, the REV's are good for people who want to use dual springs but don't want to machine the spring pockets to accept a larger diameter Comp spring.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

The cams LG put's in them are the Rev dual spring. Local guy jusy had one snap after about 3 months of daily driving. I honestly dont think any spring that will fit in the stock seat is enough for that big of a cam. The guy's with bigger cams that you are reffering to have had the head worked to fit a bigger spring (out diamiter for example) to handle the abuse.
Just another opinion for ya!
Old 08-24-2003, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

The cams LG put's in them are the Rev dual spring. Local guy jusy had one snap after about 3 months of daily driving. I honestly dont think any spring that will fit in the stock seat is enough for that big of a cam. The guy's with bigger cams that you are reffering to have had the head worked to fit a bigger spring (out diamiter for example) to handle the abuse.
Just another opinion for ya!
My point exactly, hence the need for a Comp 987 or 978 spring wich IS a LARGER DIAMETER spring. Again, to say these aren't as strong as a 918 single spring with stock diameter is really ridiculous.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

"Is LG calling a comp cams camshaft their own creation???"

There is not a single sponsor on this board that grinds cams in house. Most are lobe masters right out of someones catalog, mostly Comp Cams.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:48 PM
8 Second Club

thats more like the answers I was looking for...

so I should stick with my x1 for my daily driver...with manley springs and titanium retainers...??? just wanted to know all that oter stuff so I could make an Informed decision...
Old 08-24-2003, 03:01 PM
FormerVendor

Sound man has it right.

Now, here is the real story. We have sold 115 of the G5X-2 cams, and 1600 Rev springs. Yes, Sixteen Hundred springs. There have only been about 8 springs that have broken. That is why we use the double springs, so there is a margin of safety so you won't drop the valve. We don't recommend any other spring right now. We have used some 987 comp springs, with good luck, but we still lean toward the REV springs, exclusivly.
I just got back from a track day with the G5X-2, and I did 140 laps and I hit the revlimiter every time, at 6900rpms on the strait, each lap, with the rev springs. No issues.

Brent, you are running a spring that we do not recommend for this cam. You are reving it to 7000 rpms on a regular basis with springs that we do not recomend, and you are bad mouthing the G5X-2 cam because you broke a spring that we do not recommend??? Plus you only broke the dampener.
What would you expect with any spring doing what you say you are doing to them.

This is a great cam. If people will use what we recommend, and install them properly, ( ie take the old seals with the hats out) then there will be less problems. We also recommend that the springs go through one heat cycle before reving them up too high.

Valve Springs have been breaking for years. Long before there was a G5X-2 cam.

Brian quote>>"I talk to dozens of people a day, many are not going to post their bad luck with a sponsors parts, or the posts get deleted."<<<end quote
So you will do it for them??
And without knowledge of the facts.

You say that the comp springs are the best for a comp lobe. yet you then say that you broke your comp spring?? Plenty of other springs 918 for example have broken in years past. Did everyone stop using the T1 or B1 cam because the 918 springs had a bad batch??

We had an M6 car in the shop for tuning yesterday with our G5X-2 cam and TEA heads. IT only made 413rwhp after tuning, through the mufflers. We had to dump the exhaust to full open and only got 428rwhp, and 390rwtq with the TEA heads on it.

The customer asked me what was wrong, since we just took an M6 car off the dyno with our G5X-2 cam, with Absolute speed heads that made 451rwhp/415rwtq through the mufflers, and CamM had 447rwhp,414rwtq and Glen has 454rwhp 418rwtq CamM had Absolute speed heads, and Glen has LG Motorsports heads.
My customer asked why his car would not produce better numbers, The answer is that the TEA heads do not flow at high lift. That is the real reason that Brian/Brent only want to see 570 lift cams, so the lack of high lift flow from the tea heads won't show up.

If I were you, I would worry more about the low hp numbers on those TEA heads. It would be best to become an expert on porting the heads that you DO sell, before you try to become an expert on Cams that you DON"T sell.

Sorry to be so blunt.

LG
Old 08-24-2003, 03:10 PM
FormerVendor

thats more like the answers I was looking for...

so I should stick with my x1 for my daily driver...with manley springs and titanium retainers...??? just wanted to know all that oter stuff so I could make an Informed decision...
That would bring that intake lift from .595 for the G5X-2 all the way down to .591 on the X1 intake. That is hardly enough to matter don't you think?
THe REV springs do not coil bind until over 625 lift. Springs are not a life time part.
they have a limit like everything else. Springs cost about the same as a set of brake pads.
People don't have any hangups changing brake pads, so why not Valve springs.
A proper heat cycle will stop most of the problems.

Lou G
Old 08-24-2003, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

"Looking for more insight...I think maybe you have had a bad string of luck"

I talk to dozens of people a day, many are not going to post their bad luck with a sponsors parts, or the posts get deleted. Did I mention that we probably sell more LS1 heads then anyone in the country?

I have a 9 sec barrier to break, Later

Brian
What does you selling more heads have to do with the G5X2, and I really doubt you do anyways.

Maybe you should buy some heads from someone else and you can break into the 9's.

Old 08-24-2003, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

My point exactly, hence the need for a Comp 987 or 978 spring wich IS a LARGER DIAMETER spring. Again, to say these aren't as strong as a 918 single spring with stock diameter is really ridiculous.
I know the 987 springs are stronger since they're double springs.

I'm just weary of springs from comp.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: g5x2 cam on stock stuff???