Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To run a FPSS or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 06:58 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default To run a FPSS or not?

Basicly I am going to be hitting this car with stupid amounts of nitrous and I have mixed thoughts about FPSS' on cars being finiky and inconsistant.

In my situation I am not worried about fuel at all, my magnafuel pump should be super overkill for my setup.

I already have the FPSS' for both stages wired partial, but It would be so much easier to just dump them.

Dunno what else to say, just looking for some insight?
Old 07-19-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if you were going to be runnin a small hit i would run one, its cheap insurance, sure the pump may be bad *** but things do fail. Not worth taking a motor out over a 30 dollar piece, just my two cents!
Old 07-19-2008, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

i dont, i put that money towards a lean shutdown and wideband
Old 07-19-2008, 01:14 PM
hashtagBMW

I have a wideband too.

I think im going to leave them on the car inline to the fuel system for now. Bypass them and see how goes. I like to run the car fat anyway
Old 07-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Careful running the car too fat, you can lift ringlands just as easy doing that as you can burn a hole with the car too lean.

I don't run a safety swith, i'm only on a little 150 wet kit with a hotwire setup and a racetronix pump. I think at my 600 rw I'm probably about maxed out, but the car's getting a new cell in the nose in the near future with a couple pumps (one big one for the motor, one low pressure one for the nitrous) and at that point again I won't put one in the car. No way am I not gonna have enough pump to supply the car at that level, the aeromotive pump that I am going with is a 800 lb/hr pump for the fuel injection, and the nitrous system is getting a BG low pressure pump with a bypass in it so I think that will be overkill considering I'm only running one kit off of it.

Alot of people will tell you that they are a good idea, and there's that lean shutdown thing that is available too now, but the bottom line, is that the plugs are the ONLY way to see what's going on in the motor nothing that's hooked up to the exhaust is gonna be able to tell you what the plugs can, so I don't bother with that nonsense.

A don't even bother with the wideband, make sure the motor tune is where you want it and the fuel side of the nitrous system if done right will take care of that.

Again, the plugs, are the ONLY way to tell what's going on in the motor. Make a 1/2 track pass, shut the car off, pull the plugs and see what they show. Put a new set in, make a full pass if all looks well after a 1/2 track run, see what they look like, adjust as nessassary, put another set of new plugs in, and make another run.

That is the only way to set it up and get things working right. If all that electronic stuff was the way to go, I think Steve Johnson would be doing it, but he's not he's reading plugs, and he's the guy that has tuned the fastest nitrous cars in the country, that being said I'd listen/do what he's doing.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:13 PM
hashtagBMW

I went ahead and bypassed the 2 FPSS' i have on the car.

Worst case Ill put them back on, im pretty confident in the setup and how it "should" all work.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:22 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd skip the FPSS and run one of those dynotune lean cut off switches.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sweet71
its cheap insurance!
+1. The exact thing I thought when I first read this. It's not like they are a lot of money or hard to instal.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:10 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by rk_2000_Z/28
+1. The exact thing I thought when I first read this. It's not like they are a lot of money or hard to instal.
That's not even the case, he already has them installed.

Why not run them until you have an issue and then bypass when needed. You've got them in so you might as well use them.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

problem is they are vibration sensative, and that can cause them to cut in and out for no real reason.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
problem is they are vibration sensative, and that can cause them to cut in and out for no real reason.
Wow, never even thought of that. Would this type of pressure switch work any better? It has a micro switch instead of an internal diaphragm type. They can also handle a higher current load.