Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

klonking sound?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default klonking sound?

i installed Koni's, Strano's, and sway bars thursday and i'm getting a klonking sound from the front passenger and driver side when i turn the stearing wheel. any body know what thats from?
Old 07-20-2008, 12:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

many possibilities. First guess would be broken/loose sway bar end link. Good thing would be to get back under the car and make sure everything you touched is tightened correctly and you don't see anything broken
Old 07-20-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

i just installed it and i quadruped checked everything it looks like the sway bar is rubbing against the rack and pinion...is this common?
Old 07-20-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No thats not common. Sway bar shouldn't touch anything at the designated mounting points. Are you sure the bar isn't upside down?

Also, I had a similar sounding issue to you not a month ago after install. My problem was improper install of the new bushings and washers... which resulted in a lot of play on the end link attachment and clunking when I would turn the wheel.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

well i followed the picture from ls1howto.com and the endlinks seem fine and the bend in the center of the swaybar is down so it shouldn't be upside down...i'll double check the bolts again...this is frustrating General Jack would you happen to have any pictures of your endlinks...and there's no play at all on the swaybar....but i'll triple check these endlinks again... i'll take more ideas if you guys got'em

Last edited by oxblood!z28; 07-20-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

fixed the problem...General Jack it was the endlinks and bushing's ...i didn't have the bottom bushings sandwiching the "A" arm therefore it caused the sway bar to be lower... now its fixed...thanks a lot.

Quick Reply: klonking sound?