Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Exhaust Is Underway

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 03:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Exhaust Is Underway

Posted the new pics in the apperence and detailing link....here are the finished pics, well finished for now https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...59#post9998259

My old true duals don't fit with my new torque arm so its time for an upgrade. I just hope it sounds good. Heres the details and a few pics that I took from the true dual thread. What do you guys think? Will it look and sound good?

My setup is hooker LTs, 2.5" summit x pipe kit that will now go over the axle on the passengers side and into a dual inlet/dual outlet magnaflow muffler with 2OTL tips. I'm trying to do a setup thats not so loud, my dumped bullets were way too loud for my taste so I'm hoping the magnaflow will quiet it down quite a bit. But heres some pics of how I want it to look when its complete.......

Now does anyone have a sound clip of a magnaflow muffler like this one in the 2nd pic on an f body? Any thoughts on the setup would be appreciated

Last edited by Turnin20s; 08-27-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

Thats how Ive been thinking about building mine when I do my true duals. Good luck man.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

mines not like that but it is magnaflow

http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/l...idleandrev.flv
Old 07-20-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks that sounds really good man, I can't wait to go solid roller How does it sound when your driving? I know its a completely different setup than what I'm going to have, but at least I'll have an idea. I had a magnaflow on my 92 chevy truck and absolutely hated it, but I had the smallest case and a 3" in/out on a stock truck. It just didn't have any tone. But I'm hoping with the bigger case and about 250 more rwhp the magnaflow will sound good on my car. When you shift down to slow down does your exhaust "rapp" or does it just sound smooth kinda like normal

Thanks again guys I'll take a bunch of pics and hopefully have some good videos after its complete, but I'm also welding up my brothers true duals for his V8 S10 too so it might be a little while
Old 07-20-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

it doesnt sound bad but it does have that raspy sound when it idles down
Old 07-20-2008, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

thats not a magnaflow muffler on that car, that is an slp muffler. that car sounds insane and is insane. front mount turbo w/ a 364? cube iron block. 20lbs of boost... should make 1000rwhp and go 9's. He lives near me and also tuned my car...
Old 07-20-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are going to run a single muffler like that, why waste the time and money to keep duals all the way over the axle only to waste it with one muffler?
Old 07-21-2008, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
if you are going to run a single muffler like that, why waste the time and money to keep duals all the way over the axle only to waste it with one muffler?
How is it wasting it with one muffler? Seriously its a dual in and dual out with an internal X pipe. Its the same thing as 2 mufflers, just in a single case. Plus I want to keep true duals and want the 2OTL look. I also want to quiet down the car. I could do a few different ideas, but I'm sticking with the single muffler and true duals, even if you think its a waste of time.

thats not a magnaflow muffler on that car, that is an slp muffler. that car sounds insane and is insane. front mount turbo w/ a 364? cube iron block. 20lbs of boost... should make 1000rwhp and go 9's. He lives near me and also tuned my car...
I just snagged some pics from the exhaust thread and some searching, I never said it was the same car its actually 3 different cars haha, just the basics of my plans. Where are you at in wisconsin? I live by richland center. I noticed the wisconsin plate on the car and love the 2OTL look so I posted that pic

But I went out and mocked up some tips today to get the just of it. I angled the tips about 30* and set the one on the left (as your looking at the rear) about 1/8" back but it needs to be closer to 1/4" to follow the body line better. Didn't get any pics and lost interest after a little while due to a long story, but hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get something done
Old 07-21-2008, 01:54 AM
TECH Junkie

good luck i guess....
Old 07-21-2008, 04:25 AM
12 Second Club

im 25 miles west of milwaukee...
Old 07-21-2008, 04:38 AM
On The Tree

With a true dual system, I would run it straight back to twin mufflers, but that is me. You are probably fine with a single muffler.
I run a single inlet/dual outlet Magnaflow from a full 3 inch exhaust. The system is pretty freakin loud as is. I can't imagine running an x and duals. If you want tone, go with dual Flowmaster 40s. Magnaflow are straight through as opposed to baffled, so the tone is different and slightly less restricted.
I guess the difference is, do you want a mean rumble or a nasty growl?
Nice system BTW
Old 07-21-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Chief Z
With a true dual system, I would run it straight back to twin mufflers, but that is me. You are probably fine with a single muffler.
I run a single inlet/dual outlet Magnaflow from a full 3 inch exhaust. The system is pretty freakin loud as is. I can't imagine running an x and duals. If you want tone, go with dual Flowmaster 40s. Magnaflow are straight through as opposed to baffled, so the tone is different and slightly less restricted.
I guess the difference is, do you want a mean rumble or a nasty growl?
Nice system BTW
I know what you ar saying, the traditional way is to use 2 mufflers mounted in the rear of the car or even down underneith the car before the axle. But I want ground clerence, that is my number one prority. Number 2 is to have a little quieter exhaust, but a really good WOT sound. At idle I'd like the mean rumble, but have always liked the nasty scream of some 40 series delta flows.

I'm hoping I like the sound and will make a few vids of it inside the car and outside the car, normal driving and WOT pulls, but it will end up being a week or so now.

BTW I do all of my own exhaust work, so this system is only going to cost me about $150 and the muffler is $100 of that but it is stainless steel so I don't have to worry about it ever again until I'm sick of it.

But my reasoning for the single muffler is to keep as much or more ground clerence as stock without having to hack up my floor or the trunk area. I probably will eventually to traditional true duals with 1 pipe on each side with a CME and have the mufflers mounted under the car before the axle, but my floor pans will be nowhere near stock, in the back they will peobably be raised 2-3" and the fuel pump harness that goes through the floor will be relocated as well as the fuel and brake lines, but thats a project for a long winter, not a short summer LOL

BTW GoFast908Z, I wasn't trying to be a dick, but I see no power loss for running true duals into a single muffler thats designed for just that. I just have my reasoning for that setup. If I came off like an *** I really didn't mean it
Old 07-21-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Junkie

thats fine man. I just don't see it really being duals without dual mufflers.

Do some searching though, you can get two mufflers with over the axle and ground clearance. It can be done.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
thats fine man. I just don't see it really being duals without dual mufflers.

Do some searching though, you can get two mufflers with over the axle and ground clearance. It can be done.
Yeah I know it can be done, but I want everything to be pretty hidden from sight, the only way I can really keep everything hidden is to run a bullet type muffler and I really don't want that anymore. Or cutting everything up under my car to have it how I want. I'll try it like this and if I don't like it it can always be changed. The summer is getting shorter and I'm pretty broke right now so this is my best option to get it done soon and on the cheap.

Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get it all finished up, or else the weekend after depending on what I have to order
Old 07-27-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Muffler is ordered and I'm ordering my bend kit in a few hours. By the weekend of the 2nd it should be all finished up. I also have to modify a header for my brothers S10 and finish up his exhaust too, but I should be able to get it all done. I'll have some pics of the progress either way. I also ordered some 1.75" drop springs too so I'll have to tuck everything up really well and be really careful where I drive now, but I think it will be worth it.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Little update....

Got the bend kit, got the magnaflow muffler, got the so called 1.75" drop springs (front dropped 1.25" and the rear dropped .25" I guess I'll have to trim a coil off to get the right stance

I installed the springs and started on the exhaust and it was going really good, but then I just hit a wall with one bend and was getting pissed so I called it a day. Also cut up a V8 S10 header and made room for the steering shaft, rewrapped the header, and did a few more odds and ends. If my phone will load up some pics I'll post them up. But I should have everything all done by this weekend, but my clerences are just as good as stock, my headers are still the lowest point of the whole system
Old 08-04-2008, 01:05 PM

what magnaflow muffler did you go with, 12468?
Old 08-05-2008, 01:02 AM
TECH Addict

Part # is 11379. I'll tell you one thing, this muffler is small and weighs less than the 2 bullets that I had before, I can almost garentee it. So all together my true duals over the alxe shoule only weigh 10 Lbs more than a 4" catback or a 3" system with a bigger muffler and daul tips on each side.

Heres the pics.....bare with me they are from my phone, but aren't too bad

And heres the new stance of the car, well the front anyway. Measures in at 26.5, stock was at 27.75 so hopefully they will settle down a little. Pic was taken 15 minutes after install

I'm going out to work on the exhaust in the morning before work as long as my cold doesn't get any worse, but let me know what you think of my progress. So far I have only used some bends laying around my shop, thats why there are some black and some rusted ones. I'm going to sand blast the whole system and paint it before I install it onto my car so it looks nice and doesn't rust
Old 08-05-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Bump, what do you guys think.....Good, Bad, or Otherwise?

I was going to go and work on it some more today, but I feel like **** so hopefully tomorrow I'll feel better and be able to get something done
Old 08-05-2008, 12:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I agree with GoFast's opinion and I'm not a fan of TOTL exhaust. I would hit that piping up with some satin black or maybe some silver exhaust paint to make it look nicer...but that's just me