Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question About Current Draw

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question About Current Draw

I want to be sure I have got everything wired up correctly and am not going to be having problems when finalize the last few connections. Has anyone taken any current readings before making the last battery connection?

Better yet, could someone do me a favor and take a few current readings at the battery for me. I would like to see what the current draw is with the key off at the positive post. I would also like to see what the current draw is with the key on and the fuel pump off. To make these comparisons to mine would greatly help ease my mind that I have everything wired up correctly and I am not looking at burning my car down.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:39 AM
Launching!

Anyone?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not something people normally do.

Besides, how are you going to get current readings without turning everything on in the first place? Guess you hope to see the high current reading before the smoke?
Old 07-21-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Working at GM dealership, I remember doing current draw tests on vehicles with battery drain problems. Normal car's would spike over 1 amp for first 15 seconds or so, then drop to 500 milli-amp range, and after a minute would be around 50-80 milli-amp. Of course this was on 2000 or so Impala's, Buicks, etc, but I would expect the same from most any vehicle.

There is some formula GM uses, something about the battery reserve capacity in minutes devided by 4 = the maximum milli-amp reading.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by busta9876
Working at GM dealership, I remember doing current draw tests on vehicles with battery drain problems. Normal car's would spike over 1 amp for first 15 seconds or so, then drop to 500 milli-amp range, and after a minute would be around 50-80 milli-amp. Of course this was on 2000 or so Impala's, Buicks, etc, but I would expect the same from most any vehicle.

There is some formula GM uses, something about the battery reserve capacity in minutes devided by 4 = the maximum milli-amp reading.
Thanks for the reply. If I remember correctly, mine was around 500 milli-amps after the fuel pump shut down. With the key off it seems like it was in the same range as you state. I will recheck it this weekend and be sure. I just wanted to make sure I did not have a ground on the circuit after the fuel pump shut down with 500 milli-amps still showing.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Not something people normally do.

Besides, how are you going to get current readings without turning everything on in the first place? Guess you hope to see the high current reading before the smoke?

You place your ammeter in series the the battery key off. If no problems then turn the key on keeping an eye on the meter. If you have a problem you will see it immediately on the meter. I was hoping my numbers were what were to expected. I like to keep the smoke in the wires.

Quick Reply: Question About Current Draw