Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

typical ls1 fox swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default typical ls1 fox swap

So I finally picked up the roller I traded a set of heads for about a year ago. It's an 87 GT that needs some work for sure. Has a wolfe 6pt, 90/10's up front, subframes, and 3.55's in the rear (that will come out when I put in the narrowed 8.8 with 9 in ends on it).

Have in my garage an ls1 with a spun bearing, a TH350 with a neal chance converter. Should be painfully obvious what I plan on doing (if it EVER gets completed)

But anyways here are a few pics from day 1 of the car being home. I hope to make some progress through the summer/fall and maybe having it running winter/spring. But who knows...

And the car is always for sale for the right price if anyone wants to make an offer as it sits now. Clean title, have an extra hatch (some rust in the one on it) and the car hasn't been wrecked.

There was a tarp over it for a year or so...just haven't scraped off the lil bit that melted onto the car.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

Why not use Strange or Moser C-Clip eliminators on the 8.8?

http://www.strangeengineering.net/catalog/index.html
Old 07-20-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

It's a rear end that was pulled out of an outlaw 10.5 car that went to a fab 9 in, so I'm going to just drop it in as it is. Was good enough to go 5.0's at 150 mph so what I throw at it will be just fine. It's got brackets on it for a ladder bar set up if I decide to go that way for rear suspension as well. Came with axles, and a lightweight spool and I have a spare set of gears so I'm going to go ahead and put a bullet proof (well for a small tire car) rear in it and never have to worry about that piece of the puzzle.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Teching In

9 inch ends are a little more street friendly than c-clip elims. That is about the only reason i can think of. If i ever build a rearend for my lsx mustang it will have 9 inch ends for that reason.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by johno_85
9 inch ends are a little more street friendly than c-clip elims. That is about the only reason i can think of. If i ever build a rearend for my lsx mustang it will have 9 inch ends for that reason.
The chassis guy I use (great work wouldn't let anyone else touch it in my area and that's saying something because i'm only 20 miles from Wolfe) has done a few rears like this (he did this one) and it has had no issues with them holding up with power til about 2000 rwhp and a 33 x 10.5 W tire until the tires shook...and tire shake destroys things lol. I might not even put the rear in the car until up and after it's running first.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
It's a rear end that was pulled out of an outlaw 10.5 car that went to a fab 9 in, so I'm going to just drop it in as it is. Was good enough to go 5.0's at 150 mph so what I throw at it will be just fine. It's got brackets on it for a ladder bar set up if I decide to go that way for rear suspension as well. Came with axles, and a lightweight spool and I have a spare set of gears so I'm going to go ahead and put a bullet proof (well for a small tire car) rear in it and never have to worry about that piece of the puzzle.
Oh ok. It just sounded like you were gonna start from fresh.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1_bad_TA
Oh ok. It just sounded like you were gonna start from fresh.
Nah I picked this up from a car I crew on for to cheap to pass up (before I even had a car to put it in) and finally have a reason to use it.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by johno_85
You can run them on the street without issues. My dad has a 67 BBC Chevelle with a 12 bolt that has them. A friend Jim Murray has them in his 65 GTO 6 speed car. Never had a problem and niether are stock big blocks.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
Nah I picked this up from a car I crew on for to cheap to pass up (before I even had a car to put it in) and finally have a reason to use it.
Cool. As you progress with the project, post up some pics.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1_bad_TA
Cool. As you progress with the project, post up some pics.
That is the plan for now, it will definately be a slow work in progress for awhile.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

Brought the motor home today and started to tear it down.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

I've never seen the bottom side of an engine so I'm assuming this is the spun bearings (5 and 1) in order and then the crank has a bit of a groove on those pistons.

There's two other bearings that have some damage but not grooved all the way around.

Any experts think this crank is ok to re-use?

(5 and then 1 again)

Old 07-26-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

sorry for the crappy pics, crappy camera.