Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 AC compressor with variable POA?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 AC compressor with variable POA?

If the POA valve is changed to this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/67-68...spagenameZWDVW

The stock variable compressor should work fine...shouldn't it?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

Some folks here say you can't use the new ls1 VD compressor with older systems or that it want last. Some folks here are actually using them and have had no issues. These folks http://www.hotrodair.com
told me that they use them all the time on older systems and that vintage air and other companies are just saying they want work so you'll purchase their compressor. I purchased one of the switches locally that you are refering too. I have yet to install my A/C but will soon and am banking on it working. I do know that using this switch means you can't run the A/C thru the PCM it will be operated outside of it with your factory controls. Thru the PCM would be better sense it controls the fans, engine rpm's, better economy etc etc but is not absolutley necessary. You'd have to install the newer pressure switch like the ls1 cars use to have the pcm control it. Some folks have also done that. you have to get a block or fitting made to install it.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the variable displacement GM compressor working in a Hot Rod Air set-up. It works well with the GM (F body) pressure sensor letting the PCM control it and the cooling fan. These systems really don't care how the refrigerant gets into the evaporator as long as the pressures are correct. The variable displacement compressor allows a pretty stable pressure regulated inside the compressor, a TXV type system does basically the same thing, regulates the flow of refrigerant but it does it externally according to evaporator temperature. A CCOT system will turn on and off the compressor to keep pressures where it wants. It's all a matter of control. The fittings for the 10mm sensor are available in a number of configurations.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:04 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys.
So if I get an adaptor to make the LS1 sensor fit I can run the variable displacement compressor and control through the PCM. Sounds good!

Quick Reply: LS1 AC compressor with variable POA?