Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 shops denied putting on my tsp catted Y WTF????

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 shops denied putting on my tsp catted Y WTF????

I took my car to 3 local muffler shops 1 of 3 a family friend owns to put my tsp catted y on my pacesetter LTs they all say the same thing its either way to low or rubbing the floorboard or to close to the fuel/brakelines it is really pissing me off when i bought the pipe it was to small to slip over my header collecters so it had to be flared and there are no o2 bungs in it it is just a big pain in the *** I wish I could get it to fit I kno TSP is a reputable company, and am not trying to bash them in any way its just wtf is the deal with this Y pipe????
Old 07-21-2008, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

the Y is supposed to go in the collectors and the O2 bungs are in your pacesetters. or is supposed to be. Or at least thats how mine are.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

jack it up and do it yourself...
Old 07-21-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Veteran

find an lsx shop, i was denied for an ory install from several shops than i called rpm motorsports and they said they would do it for 100, so go find a motorsport shop
Old 07-21-2008, 04:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sick-Z
I took my car to 3 local muffler shops 1 of 3 a family friend owns to put my tsp catted y on my pacesetter LTs they all say the same thing its either way to low or rubbing the floorboard or to close to the fuel/brakelines it is really pissing me off when i bought the pipe it was to small to slip over my header collecters so it had to be flared and there are no o2 bungs in it it is just a big pain in the *** I wish I could get it to fit I kno TSP is a reputable company, and am not trying to bash them in any way its just wtf is the deal with this Y pipe????
Yea, welcome to the world of the TSP catted Y. I wanted to do the right thing and be legal, but this y pipe is causing me some trouble too. I installed it myself but the ground clearance wasn't good at all so I took it to a muffler shop(what a mistake) and spent $150 for them to slip the y pipe over the headers(they weren't expanded enough to slip over the collectors), and move a bracket for the fuel lines. I have over $450 into this y-pipe and I'm at the point where I'm because I could have probably had a shop make one for me for the same price I have in this one. Btw, I still only have 3 inches of ground clearance if I'm lucky.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would just try to find a lsx shop. My TSP y pipe has never lined up right, leaks like a bitch, but o well. Eventually, I am just gonna get all new clamps and get a shop to fix it. I've tried doing it myself several teams, but its a pain in the *** with the car just jacked up. I would imagine it would a breeze with a lift.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

Do it yourself. A lot of shops will look at the job and don't want to put in the effort required. Spend a couple hours in the driveway and get it lined up exactly how you want it. Or, if you really don't want to do it, find a speed shop that deals with LSx cars.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely find a shop that specializes in LSx shops. We install TSP Y-pipes all the time and they're tough to beat when it comes to bang for the buck. If you're wanting to spend a little more money, the Kooks setup fits extremely well as does the ARH.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Thats because the TSP ypipes fit like ****. I've had first hand experience with the offroad Y and catted Y and they both suck *** on fitment. The pipe won't even fit over the Pacesetters like they claim until you have a muffler shop flange them another .25 inch.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by oldmanZ06
Thats because the TSP ypipes fit like ****. I've had first hand experience with the offroad Y and catted Y and they both suck *** on fitment. The pipe won't even fit over the Pacesetters like they claim until you have a muffler shop flange them another .25 inch.
That is what I had to do with mine. I wish I researched it more before I went ahead and purchased the y-pipe. At least I saved $20 buying it second hand.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

well I got my y pipe finally on the ends needed to be flared over the collectors and fuel/brake line brakets fliped upside down, and removed my tunnel brace but it filally fits the shop even heated and dented my driver side pipe around my crossmember so it wouldnt hit when my motor torqued it sits low as hell but all in all IM happy it makes a nice sound
Old 07-22-2008, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your wasting your time and gas driving to all those local muffler shops. Try to find the closest lsx shop that specializes in working on your car.

Checking the list on the right >>>
Old 07-22-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

does the Pacesetter ory fit any better?
Old 07-22-2008, 03:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Transgression
does the Pacesetter ory fit any better?
Yes. I've had the TSP ORY and the Pacesetter ORY and the Pacesetter is much nicer. It's only a two piece design, so you're not screwing around with 5 pieces or however many the TSP has. Ground clearance is much better.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

sweetness i think when i do get headers for my next LS1 that Im gonna stick with pacesetter everything(execpt cat-back...that will be hooker with a cut-out). i had a TSP ory with my last Z and it did SUCK ***, took 4 hours to get it half *** right....only thing there good for is being cheap...Pacesetter Y it is then!

Is pacesetters Y 2.5" or 3"???....2.5 flows good with more clearance
Old 07-22-2008, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

Texas speed should do something about their y pipes. I mean, I understand that they are trying to help us out by offering low prices, but if the quality just isn't going to be there, don't sell the product.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

+1 on that
Old 07-22-2008, 05:16 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys,

We have no problem modifying any of our products for better fitment. We have not had any issues installing them at our facility on our lift. With that said, if customers are having an issue with one of our products we want to know about it! A phone call, e-mail, or PM is all it takes. I am going to address the issues everyone has mentioned in this thread with our manufacturer. We have more to offer than great pricing; we also have great customer service. If you have a suggestion or an issue, please let us know.

Thanks!

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 07-22-2008, 05:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Y-pipes are designed to fit snug on the collectors and slip fits. We do that to minimize the chance of exhaust leaks with slip fit connections on LS exhaust. There isn't clearance on these cars to run a 3-bolt flange on the exhaust. That being said, if you guys are having trouble getting them the pipes to slide in eachother, I will have the manufacturer bump them out a bit more to allow for an easier time getting them slid onto the collector of the header. I think some of the tight fitment is caused by the coating as well. I will do some looking into the way the exhaust slides together.

On both the ORY's and Catted-Y's, they are broken into 4 pieces to allow for complete adjustability during the install. There should NOT be any clearance issues with the floor pan of the car while maintaining sufficient ground clearance. On the catted-y you can flip the fuel the plastic clips over that hold the fuel lines to move the up and away from the exhaust. I definitely recommend doing this. However, as far as fitment and clearance issues, there shouldn't be any. We install 2 or 3 of these a week without a problem. The only other thing I could possibly think of is they "y" section of the exhaust is a little long for certain catbacks. I have found on some catbacks you can cut about 1/2" off the back and it will help the the catback started on the Y.

Either way guys, we want to help get everything lined out with the fitment issues you guys are seeing. We are always listening to feedback to improve our products. If everything agrees we need to have them expanded more we will do that. Let us know what you guys are thinking and we'll see if we can make some changes to improve on the fitment!

Jon Reynolds
Texas Speed & Perf.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
The Y-pipes are designed to fit snug on the collectors and slip fits. We do that to minimize the chance of exhaust leaks with slip fit connections on LS exhaust. There isn't clearance on these cars to run a 3-bolt flange on the exhaust. That being said, if you guys are having trouble getting them the pipes to slide in eachother, I will have the manufacturer bump them out a bit more to allow for an easier time getting them slid onto the collector of the header. I think some of the tight fitment is caused by the coating as well. I will do some looking into the way the exhaust slides together.

On both the ORY's and Catted-Y's, they are broken into 4 pieces to allow for complete adjustability during the install. There should NOT be any clearance issues with the floor pan of the car while maintaining sufficient ground clearance. On the catted-y you can flip the fuel the plastic clips over that hold the fuel lines to move the up and away from the exhaust. I definitely recommend doing this. However, as far as fitment and clearance issues, there shouldn't be any. We install 2 or 3 of these a week without a problem. The only other thing I could possibly think of is they "y" section of the exhaust is a little long for certain catbacks. I have found on some catbacks you can cut about 1/2" off the back and it will help the the catback started on the Y.

Either way guys, we want to help get everything lined out with the fitment issues you guys are seeing. We are always listening to feedback to improve our products. If everything agrees we need to have them expanded more we will do that. Let us know what you guys are thinking and we'll see if we can make some changes to improve on the fitment!

Jon Reynolds
Texas Speed & Perf.
I bought my catted Y second hand(but it was brand new) so I figured you guys wouldn't do anything about it. I have stainless steel hooker header so they are true 3 inch collectors and i still needed the y-pipe to be expanded. When I took it to the first place to get the ground clearance worked out they flipped the little plastic bracket around like you said but they didn't weld the y-pipe in for me like I wanted. With the car on jack stands, I can use a jack and push the y-pipe closer the floorboard by almost 2 inches so I think once I get it welded in that the clearance issues will become minimal if not go away. The way the car sits right now, I can't do anything to the suspension because the ground clearance with the exhaust sucks on stock height. I'll keep everyone posted as to how my y-pipe tunes out once i get my cutout installed either towards the end of the week or early next week.