Sponsored by:

'04 GTO ls1/t56 into '00 S10

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 GTO ls1/t56 into '00 S10

Hey everyone,

First off, this is my first thread at ls1tech! I have been creepin' around the forums for awhile now gathering info on the ls1/t56 into s10 swap. I've read (as well as made my own doc with notes) the whole 80 page "s10 ls1ers" thread as well as many others.

I have a 2000 S10 stepside standard cab with a 2.2 5spd. I recently got hooked up with a local buddy that wrecked his 2004 GTO ls1/t56 that is giving me a decent deal. I have about a year to gather all parts or gather all the parts and start the swap.

Well, my questions come about because I have yet to hear anyone talk about putting an LS1/t56 from a GTO into an s10. I know of atleast one guy on here (mystic something) that has done it or is currently doing it.

Questions:
Are any of the GTO front accessories usable in the s10 swap?

I am almost certain the pan has to be swapped, do I need to do anything different when buying the H3 pan since the gto is a front sump?

Is there any difference in the t56?

Pretty much, is there any thing I should be aware about with the GTO Ls1/t56 that would affect the swap different from a f-body swap?

Also, I will have access to other parts off the GTO. Is anything else worth getting? Like brakes? The rear end isn't solid, right?

Thanks for your guys' help in advance! It has already saved me what looks to be hundreds of dollars in advance already!!!
Old 07-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Get as much as you can.Pull the whole wiring harness front to back uncut EVERYTHING,also besure to get the bcm (body controll module) along with the key.I'm doing the same swap in a 72 nova.I'm using the gto harness just got done with basic wiring and it turns over after 2Hrs of pluging everything back in.I'm sure if the fuel line was finished the dam thing would start.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wow... talk about over complicated...
Old 07-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jones'n
wow... talk about over complicated...
Just curious, but whats that in response to? Just looking for help.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:21 AM
TECH Resident

That was in response to the idea of taking all the wiring including the BCM and transferring it over to the swap.

For your year truck, the GTO accessories won't work, same as F-body. The alternator will be in the steering box.

The H3 pan is what you want, get the pan, pickup tube, and dipstick.

T56 is the same as any other (Except Corvette of course)

No different than the F-body as far as the swap goes

Nothing else on that car is going to carry over. It is an IRS, not solid.

Have you looked over at s10forum.com? The LSx section has a lot of information specific to your swap.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Teching In

thanks, jones'n.

I have been researching the swap for awhile now and know most of what is needed, I just havent come across to many people that have used a gto ls1/t56. Didn't know if there were any differences. I have checked out s10forum, but didn't see much gto stuff, i will check again. Just also wondering if anything is worth getting off the gto for cheap? (ie: better seats? brakes? etc.)
Old 07-22-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Contact Current Performance Wiring.

The GTO oil pan will not work because it's a front sump, as Jones'n mentioned, you'll need to either change a couple of brackets/modify what you have, or swap out to either a set of truck or Vette front end accessories.

Jared has the mounts, headers, wiring harness, (soon to have a complete cooling package and long tube headers)

Some people have found it helpfull to still notch the front crossmember when using the H3 Alpha oil pan. It helps for future maintenance if you need to pull the trans/motor/pan for any reason.

There's a new source for a high mounted A/C compressor. It works great, or you can choose to notch the passenger side frame rail for A/C compressor clearance.

Clutch, shifter location, gauges, and gearing have all been discussed on either this or the S forums.

I'd recommend upgrading your front brakes to the dual piston versions from the Blazer (at the least) and maybe even go to hawk HPS pads front and rear.

Last edited by philntx; 07-22-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by philntx
Contact Current Performance Wiring.

The GTO oil pan will not work because it's a front sump, as Jones'n mentioned, you'll need to either change a couple of brackets/modify what you have, or swap out to either a set of truck or Vette front end accessories.

Jared has the mounts, headers, wiring harness, (soon to have a complete cooling package and long tube headers)

Some people have found it helpfull to still notch the front crossmember when using the H3 Alpha oil pan. It helps for future maintenance if you need to pull the trans/motor/pan for any reason.

There's a new source for a high mounted A/C compressor. It works great, or you can choose to notch the passenger side frame rail for A/C compressor clearance.

Clutch, shifter location, gauges, and gearing have all been discussed on either this or the S forums.

I'd recommend upgrading your front brakes to the dual piston versions from the Blazer (at the least) and maybe even go to hawk HPS pads front and rear.
Thanks a ton man!

First question, has anyone used any of the GTO accessories successfully?

So, is there any more information regarding these longtube headers? I was planning on making my own using some flanges, collectors and mandrel bends, I have a pretty good fabrication background as well as best friend who is an amazing tig welder.

Where is this A/C highmount? I hadn't read anything about this. Is there a thread on here regarding this too?

Are the Blazer brake calipers direct swaps?

Thanks again guys!
Old 07-22-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't use the GTO accs. Corvette or truck only.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nheine
Thanks a ton man!

First question, has anyone used any of the GTO accessories successfully?

So, is there any more information regarding these longtube headers? I was planning on making my own using some flanges, collectors and mandrel bends, I have a pretty good fabrication background as well as best friend who is an amazing tig welder.

Where is this A/C highmount? I hadn't read anything about this. Is there a thread on here regarding this too?

Are the Blazer brake calipers direct swaps?

Thanks again guys!

http://currentperformance.com/Swap_Parts/parts.html

The brakes themselves are not a direct swap, you have to swap over the Blazer spindle as well. That is however, a direct swap.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Does anyone know if GTO seats would work in an S-10?

Quick Reply: '04 GTO ls1/t56 into '00 S10