Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP!! Cant find Vacuume leak!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP!! High idle after Intake Manifold swap!

I changed intake manifold to ls6 and everything was fine. I decided to go back to stock so i put the old ls1 intake manifold on and plugged the egr hole. I started the car and it idled at a little under 2k RPM's. I checked all the hoses and everything was in place. So i just put on new intake manifold gaskets and hooked everything back up again, checked all the hoses and still idleing at a little under 2k RPM's. Im lost and have no idea what else it could be..........any suggestions?

Last edited by bcgetfresh; 07-22-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

anyone? i need to fix this ASAP
Old 07-22-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you didnot bend the throttel body bracket. Make sure the t-body is closing all the way. Oh and make sure you put that little vac hose back on. A quick check is to see if the air blows out the vents.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Have you checked maybe one of your sensors is bad? Maybe you might want to disconnect you battery for a couple of minutes for the computer to reset.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by frankmarroquin
Have you checked maybe one of your sensors is bad? Maybe you might want to disconnect you battery for a couple of minutes for the computer to reset.
which sensors? i have almost brand new bosch o2 sensors. You mean the sensors for the intake lid maf and TB?

Yea i have all the hoses hooked up. I made sure of that.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

wow i figured i would get more responses...
Old 07-23-2008, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Hmm, idk if this is the safest thing to do but I had a vacuum leak on my grand prix and my neighbor who is like an old mechanic had a can of map gas with a long rubber hose on the end of what looked like a torch head he cut in half. While the motor was running he opened the valve on the map gas and moved the end of the hose around the engine bay until the motor ran the way that it was supposed to. He also said that if it was making any noise the noise would change.

It seemed to work pretty well but i am not sure that I would have done it if someone had told me too.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MikeMoss
Hmm, idk if this is the safest thing to do but I had a vacuum leak on my grand prix and my neighbor who is like an old mechanic had a can of map gas with a long rubber hose on the end of what looked like a torch head he cut in half. While the motor was running he opened the valve on the map gas and moved the end of the hose around the engine bay until the motor ran the way that it was supposed to. He also said that if it was making any noise the noise would change.

It seemed to work pretty well but i am not sure that I would have done it if someone had told me too.
I have honestly never heard of this ever but you never know. Oh and sensor that you might want to check is IAC(idle air control)... also double check that the TB is closing all the way and the cables.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Launching!

get throttle plate cleaner since its flammable and spray aroung gaskets and sensors
and vaccum hoses like the brake booster hose and youll hear the motor rev up and thats the spot
<<<---Gm tech
Old 07-24-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

know anyone with a smoke machine? thats how i found my leak.

hook it up, turn it on, watch for smoke....leak found!
Old 07-24-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i use water
Old 07-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

after checking EVERYTHING again i finally found out what was wrong. For some reason my cruise control cable was pulling the throttle just barely so throttle was open. The little plastic peice on the cable got stuck. No idea why this happened but im just glad its over with lol. thanks for the help guys