Shock Options Please?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 01:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Shock Options Please?

Hey guys,

my t/a has:

LCA, relocating brackets, sub-frame connectors, some kind of lowering springs, I don't know what kind, the previous owner couldnt tell me either, and an autofab coil over kit.
I'm looking for some new shocks because my QA1's are driving me CRAZY. I want my car to be a corner curver, and it's always on the street so I dont care for drag shocks. So far it seems my best bet (for a reasonable price) may be the Tokico blue shocks. Now I would LOVE to have Koni's, but I don't think I can pull that off.

Are there any other kinds that I can look into?
Old 07-23-2008, 07:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it once, do it right. Save for Konis.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Besides the Tokicos, the only other decent budget option is KYB AGXs.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Hey guys,

my t/a has:

LCA, relocating brackets, sub-frame connectors, some kind of lowering springs, I don't know what kind, the previous owner couldnt tell me either, and an autofab coil over kit.
I'm looking for some new shocks because my QA1's are driving me CRAZY. I want my car to be a corner curver, and it's always on the street so I dont care for drag shocks. So far it seems my best bet (for a reasonable price) may be the Tokico blue shocks. Now I would LOVE to have Koni's, but I don't think I can pull that off.

Are there any other kinds that I can look into?
Alright honestly, you are going for something that turns, you want to do it right. Its not like a cheaper shock is just going to offer less grip, and thats it. Its going to have much more compromises than that, like cornering on anything but smooth pavement, overall feel and balance, and ride comfort.
Sell the unknown lowering springs and get some stock springs + Konis and you will fall in love with the car.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:47 PM
11 Second Club

I thought Koni's work great with lowering springs?
You guys gotta understand, lol, i'm not looking for a shock as good as Koni's for a cheaper price, i'm just trying to see what other shocks are decent so I can check them out. Do the Tokico's and KYB's work with lowering springs?
Old 07-23-2008, 02:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Nobody said the Koni's don't work with lowering springs, but your lowering springs are "unknown" and that's not great for trying to setup a car.

Can you sell the QA1's? I imagine so, that money can go toward Koni's. Yes, you can do soemthing else for shocks like Tokico and AGX--both of which we carry and sell, but if you want the car to work the best is can, for a long time, then the best shocks you can swing combined with *APPROPRIATE* springs (be they lowering springs or stock springs) is the best solution.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-23-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
I thought Koni's work great with lowering springs?
You guys gotta understand, lol, i'm not looking for a shock as good as Koni's for a cheaper price, i'm just trying to see what other shocks are decent so I can check them out. Do the Tokico's and KYB's work with lowering springs?
Listen to Sam on this one, you can trust him.
Not knowing the lowering springs is like not knowing what cam you have and trying to get a good running engine. Springs arn't just about lowering the car, the spring rate is very important when it comes to balance and how the car will act.
Please read: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/643950-suspension-mods-real-world.html
Old 07-23-2008, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

Sam has helped me before and I trust him alot. Is there anyway to tell what kind of springs they are? Do some springs have specific colors or anything like that, or maybe a stamp somewhere on them.. I don't wanna ditch them because I love the stance of the car. I wish the previous owner was able to tell me what kind they were, he didn't know either..

What lowering springs aren't good with Koni's? Seems like you guys are saying that my shock option depends on my springs..

Also how much you think I could even get for QA1's? They have the one adjustable **** on the bottom of the shock
Old 07-24-2008, 10:15 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I dunno, let's try. What color are they?

Are there springs the Koni's don't work well with? Yes, but that's due to the springs being screwy (too short, too soft, etc) rather than the shocks.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-26-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do we know the brand name of these mystery springs yet?
Old 07-26-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Sound like mystery meat, you probably don't want to know.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Sound like mystery meat, you probably don't want to know.
OK. I leave it alone then.