Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 Dipstick tube plug

Old 07-23-2008, 08:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 Dipstick tube plug

I have a LS2 out of a 2006 GTO. Anyway I believe that the old dipstick tube fit right into the pan. So when I converted my oil pan from a GTO pan to a F-Body pan for my Chevelle I thought the dipstick tube also went into the pan. Last night I decided to start filling the engine oil and fluids and realized I had not put in my dipstick tube/dipstick. I started looking for the hole on the pan and found nothing. I was thinking to myself, have I gone crazy? Well after looking around I found a hole in the block with a plug and after searching the site and google verified that the plug in block was correct.

My engine is sitting on the frame with everything bolted up. I am going to try an easy-out like some others suggested with the other post.

Are there any other suggestions? If I have to pull the engine off the frame I will do it, I would just prefer not to.

Any input or ideas would be appreciated.

Ben
Old 07-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Teching In

I pushed mine out from the crankcase side when the oil pan was off. I would try to drill a small hole in it and the screw a small sheet metal screw into that you can grab with vise grips or something. An easy out you'll have to tap into the plug with a hammer and that will most likely knock it into the oil pan. If you can get the screw into it, it's not in there that tight and should pull out. Don't put too much pressure on it with the drill though and have as sharp a drill bit as you can find. Good luck!
Old 07-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Launching!

I ended up drilling, vacuuming, drill, vacuum, drill, vacuum. Ulimately I got a small amount of metal in the engine. Very small amount, I am not worried.

I will flush the pan out with oil and see what I get out of it.

I then took a allen wrench and cut it with a small hook on it so I had something to tug on. Stuck it in the hole and used pair of vicegrips and got it out after several tugs. I am sure tapping it out from the bottom is much easier and cleaner but I didn't want to pull everything back apart.

Ben-
Old 04-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Teching In

I'm in the process of replacing my GTO LS2 oil pan with the F-body pan. For future reference, here's a picture of where the new/old plugs are.
Attached Thumbnails LS2 Dipstick tube plug-img_3256s.jpg  

Last edited by adrian-1; 04-29-2010 at 04:06 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS2 Dipstick tube plug