Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Corvette On Trailer - Clearance Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Corvette On Trailer - Clearance Problems?

Hey Guys,

My wife and I moving back to Tampa within the next few months, and we're going to have to trailer the C5. The trailer will be from either Uhaul or Budget.

My question is, since it's stock height with the stock wheels, will I have a clearance problem getting it onto the trailer? The worst thing in the world would be to bottom-out and scratch the hell out of the fascia.

Thanks in advance,
Vince
Old 07-23-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Probably, however if you back the trailer to a curb, then extend the ramps, you'll be fine.

The bigger problem is not the nose, it's the middle of the car vs. angle.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by prochargedchevyi
Hey Guys,

My wife and I moving back to Tampa within the next few months, and we're going to have to trailer the C5. The trailer will be from either Uhaul or Budget.

My question is, since it's stock height with the stock wheels, will I have a clearance problem getting it onto the trailer? The worst thing in the world would be to bottom-out and scratch the hell out of the fascia.

Thanks in advance,
Vince
I built some 6' wood extensions out of 2x8's and put 2x4 blocks in 2 places where it would flex. Works like a champ. Also, the door hits the fender when you try to get out. I screwed a 1x4 to the trailer floor and park the drivers front tire on top and the door clears just fine. Let me know if you need pictures.

Pitt
Old 07-23-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by pittman
I built some 6' wood extensions out of 2x8's and put 2x4 blocks in 2 places where it would flex. Works like a champ. Also, the door hits the fender when you try to get out. I screwed a 1x4 to the trailer floor and park the drivers front tire on top and the door clears just fine. Let me know if you need pictures.

Pitt

Yeah, pictures would be great. I'm definitely a visual learner. LOL

I believe the car trailers that UHaul and Budget offer have flip-down fenders so that lower cars can still open their doors. I'm not a 100% sure though.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, pictures would be great. I'm definitely a visual learner. LOL

I believe the car trailers that UHaul and Budget offer have flip-down fenders so that lower cars can still open their doors. I'm not a 100% sure though.
I will post you some Bro..only problem is, it will be late tomorrow before I get home...so it will be friday after work. Hope you can wait that long. Where are you in Florida ??
Pitt
Old 07-23-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just drove about 1200 miles with my Z06 on a U-haul trailer 3 months ago. The two problems with the U-haul trailer are:
1) ramps are too steep. Easily fixed by backing up to a hill to straighten out the ramps

2) you will not be able to pull all the way forward because there's a metal lip at the front of the trailer that's probably 4" tall. The solution is to put some 2"x6" (about 12" worth) up there and drive up onto it so the front air dam/bumper clears this metal lip. Doesn't matter that you'll be parked on wood pieces b/c the ratcheting straps will just pull the car/wood down against the trailer anyways.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yep big wood planks. I have to do that or BACK it on
Old 07-23-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will post you some Bro..only problem is, it will be late tomorrow before I get home...so it will be friday after work. Hope you can wait that long. Where are you in Florida ??
Pitt

No rush man. Thanks so much for the pics.

We're moving from Port St Lucie back to Tampa - hopefully before the end of September. We've been living in this stinkhole for 4 years and couldn't be happier to move back to the west coast.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

We're moving from Port St Lucie back to Tampa - hopefully before the end of September. We've been living in this stinkhole for 4 years and couldn't be happier to move back to the west coast.
I just wondered if you were on the upper east coast of Fl. Need some fellow Vette racers...

I used you as an excuse to skip the gym, come home and take pictures while I drink Beer..lol. Here ya go...works like a champ. Just use 2-1/2" deck screws and a six pack per ramp.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/DSC01385.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/DSC01388.jpg

Pitt
Old 07-24-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn dude, thanks so much!!! Those pics help out a ton.

I really appreciate it.

Vincent

I just wondered if you were on the upper east coast of Fl. Need some fellow Vette racers...

I used you as an excuse to skip the gym, come home and take pictures while I drink Beer..lol. Here ya go...works like a champ. Just use 2-1/2" deck screws and a six pack per ramp.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/DSC01385.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/DSC01388.jpg

Pitt
Old 07-27-2008, 11:47 PM
Teching In

Be careful not to rachet those straps down on the tires to tight. When I made my move I made that mistake and it left minor gashes in the sidewall of the tires.

I had to make three trips from NC to AZ pulling car trailers.

Good Luck on your move. I feel your pain
Old 07-28-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh dude, vero is 20 minutes from there(my old hometown). Livin down south now. I'll be crusing up in two weeks to work on a couple of speed freaks.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:47 AM
11 Second Club

What I do to get my car on the trailer is I use a pair of the heavy duty Rhino Ramps (the plastic drive on ones) and back the rear of the tow vehicle onto them. This makes the ramps on my trailer almost straight and my car drives right on with no problem (except that I have to General Lee it to get out of the car.)
Old 07-30-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BBM98C5
What I do to get my car on the trailer is I use a pair of the heavy duty Rhino Ramps (the plastic drive on ones) and back the rear of the tow vehicle onto them. This makes the ramps on my trailer almost straight and my car drives right on with no problem (except that I have to General Lee it to get out of the car.)
I agree...That does work great most of the time...quick and easy. However, I switched trailers to the 5,000 lb axles and now the trailer sits alot higher and my vette front end hits the ramps....so....I headed to Home Depot for some lumber !!!

Pitt

Quick Reply: Corvette On Trailer - Clearance Problems?