LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

more firebird headlight problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default more firebird headlight problems

okay it has come time for me to figure out my firebird headlight problems.

My first problem is my right headlight doesnt go up or down unless i do it manually, im assuming this is the gear, where do i get a replacement?

My second problem is my left headlight works fine but it goes up when i put my parking lights on? could this be a bad switch?

My third problem is when i turn my lights off and the left headlight goes down it makes a horrific grinding noise when it gets closed and lasts for about 10 seconds, again could this be the gear?

thanks alot guys
Old 07-24-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by Trick450r
okay it has come time for me to figure out my firebird headlight problems.

My first problem is my right headlight doesnt go up or down unless i do it manually, im assuming this is the gear, where do i get a replacement?

My second problem is my left headlight works fine but it goes up when i put my parking lights on? could this be a bad switch?

My third problem is when i turn my lights off and the left headlight goes down it makes a horrific grinding noise when it gets closed and lasts for about 10 seconds, again could this be the gear?

thanks alot guys
1 & 3 are both due to a stripped plastic gear - go the the "HELP" section of the local autozone / auto nation / NAPA / etc... and purchase a replacement gear. CAREFULLY pry the cover off, replace the gear, then super glue / silicone the cover back on.

2 might be due to the gear, but not sure...

It's so easy even I can do it!
Old 07-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Launching!

thank you, my next question is i hear i can buy brass gears for it? where can these be located.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:33 PM
12 Second Club

thanks alot guys

That sir is most likely your turn signal switch going bad. i had a similiar situation where when my lights were on my right rear brake light didnt work. replaced the switch and it works like a charm now.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Teching In

thank you, my next question is i hear i can buy brass gears for it? where can these be located.
I've heard the same thing and am having the same exact problems as you...I work at O'Reilly Auto Parts, and I ordered new gears, but I forgot to check to see if they were brass or plastic, I'm off today, but will stop by to check and I'll let you know if they are. If so, I'll give you the part number.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Why brass?

Brass gears = ebay; do a search, there are two different guys who machine them at home - $40 each.

But, IMHO, once you replace your gear and dried up grease, it'll be another 10 - 15 years before you have this problem again - just trying to save you some $$$.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:21 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/index.htm

And all 3 problems will be fixed with new gears.

Quick Reply: more firebird headlight problems