Racer's Lounge - thats how racing should be.....almost

Sopcich04
07-24-2008, 03:05 PM
i was watching a race on Speed today and it was almost like a shortened version of Lemans racing. FUCK NASCAR i think they should bring back production looking car races. hell, lemans pretty much showed the world that the corvette is better than their DOHC v12 150K cars. just imagine what would happen when a manufactor has to put their top car against everything else, i think we would be in another golden era of cars.

Hank Hill
07-24-2008, 03:10 PM
http://www.maecomotorsport.com/images/transam01.jpg

But with modern Camaros, Mustangs, and Challengers....

05CherryGXP
07-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Pretty much. A lot of a NASCAR race is decided in the garage before the race ever begins. The man with the best tune often wins. Driving skills helps to be sure, but I'd much rather see production cars going after it. Watching some highly specialized cars whose only similiarity to the cars on the dealer's lot is boring.

Also Mr. Hill, you need to toss some Civic with a wing out there. After it gets destroyed hopefully the ricers will shut up.

rk_2000_Z/28
07-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Are you talking about the Rolex Grand Am series? If so, than yeah I love that stuff. I have never been able to get behind NASCAR but I can watch the Rolex series all day long.

Here is the site:
http://www.grand-am.com/rolex/

Sopcich04
07-24-2008, 03:41 PM
just like that but why not include any brand, maybe group them by engine size. who knows maybe some rice cars would upset the american big engine cars

rk_2000_Z/28
07-24-2008, 03:42 PM
And by the way, the two points leaders in Grand Touring Class both drive the new GXP.R....A little GM power :D

rk_2000_Z/28
07-24-2008, 03:45 PM
just like that but why not include any brand, maybe group them by engine size. who knows maybe some rice cars would upset the american big engine cars

The Grand Touring Class uses 'production like' cars including Vettes and Porches along with Mazda has a few cars. It really is pretty interesting. And I love the fact that the much faster prototype cars race at the exact time the GT cars race. It just makes for some interesting action especially on tracks that don't have a lot of long strectches.

BLK85
07-24-2008, 07:45 PM
hell, lemans pretty much showed the world that the corvette is better than their DOHC v12 150K cars.

First Corvette is the only car in the Corvettes class(GT2 is it?). Second Im sure the Vette costs way more than 150k. I love Lemans, Rolex Series, F1, etc. types of racing.

I think if Nascar went back to running a actual production car that you can buy more people would watch. Also make it so all parts that are added has to be parts sold at dealerships and installed at dealers. I would probably watch then.

dutinsss
07-24-2008, 08:51 PM
I also like racing where the cars are closer to stock. For example, I think watching street cars drag race each is more interesting than funny cars or top fuel dragsters. May be different if I were actually there though. I've never been to a top fuel race but I heard it's pretty cool to watch from the stands.

BLK85
07-24-2008, 09:06 PM
May be different if I were actually there though. I've never been to a top fuel race but I heard it's pretty cool to watch from the stands.

Its a lot different. You have to go to a national event at least once. It is defiantly an experience.

Hank Hill
07-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Driving skills helps to be sure, but I'd much rather see production cars going after it. Watching some highly specialized cars whose only similiarity to the cars on the dealer's lot is boring.
I think if Nascar went back to running a actual production car that you can buy more people would watch. Also make it so all parts that are added has to be parts sold at dealerships and installed at dealers. I would probably watch then.
I also like racing where the cars are closer to stock.
I'd like to see a reinterpretation of the old SCCA Trans-Am series with the premier class consisting of rear-wheel drive 4-seat coupes, very close to production spec.

The 4-seat rule would exclude the Corvette, but open it up to Camaros, Mustangs, Challengers plus the Hyundai Genesis coupe, BMW M3/M6, even the Mercedes CLK63 AMG.

In the heyday of Trans-Am, the top class of cars was limited to 5.0L -- you'd have to institute some sort of allowable-displacement-versus-weight rule to make it competitive. And maybe have a homologation minimum of 5,000 units produced to eliminate factory ringers.

I think I would enjoy watching that a lot more than the silhouette tube-frame racers that the NASCAR Cup cars have evolved into over the last 25 years.

05CherryGXP
07-25-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm not sure if limiting displacement is the way to go. For example a Direct Injected V6 with turbos on it would utterly destroy my larger displacement N/A V8. Yet I displace more, but the V6 mores more air.

The obvious solution would be to say N/A cars only, but I personally would really like to see turbocharged STIs squaring off against Camaros, Mustangs, etc.

You'd have to come up with some kind of formula to figure out airflow through the engine or something and us that as some kind of stand in for displacement.

Also repairs to these cars needs to limited. Or maybe you lose points for having to do replace parts. That way manufacturers can't just make some high strung thoroughbred that you have to completely rebuild after every race. Some failures like your trannie going, etc should be season ending for the car that it fails on.

That way the winner is the car that is not only fast, but you as a consumer know you can take it down to the track and beat the hell out of it all summer and it will still run strong.

lt1noob
07-25-2008, 12:17 PM
i agree with this, i love lemans and similar racing. i could never sit and watch nascar...its just gay im sorry lol.

Hank Hill
07-25-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure if limiting displacement is the way to go.
My thoughts on limiting displacement versus weight would also include some sort of "correction" factor for forced-induction engines.

CTSmechanic
07-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Pretty much. A lot of a NASCAR race is decided in the garage before the race ever begins. The man with the best tune often wins. Driving skills helps to be sure, but I'd much rather see production cars going after it. Watching some highly specialized cars whose only similiarity to the cars on the dealer's lot is boring.

Also Mr. Hill, you need to toss some Civic with a wing out there. After it gets destroyed hopefully the ricers will shut up.

Any Race any sporting event anytime anywhere is won before the event auctually happens ... BTW I belive the evil empire of NASCAR owns or has alot to do with Grand Am

79_T/A
07-26-2008, 05:17 PM
I personally love the Australian V8 Supercars. Big production based 4 doors with v8's beating the shit out of each other on road courses. Nothing like those pussy nascar boys that get bent out of shape over an aggressive driver.

intense3123
07-26-2008, 11:44 PM
I personally love the Australian V8 Supercars. Big production based 4 doors with v8's beating the shit out of each other on road courses. Nothing like those pussy nascar boys that get bent out of shape over an aggressive driver.

YES, I tape that whenever it comes on. Good racing in that series.