Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For a true dual setup does this sound good?

Old 07-24-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For a true dual setup does this sound good?

A local shop has offered to run a custom true dual setup on my 00 SS Vert from installed headers back with an x pipe and calsound cats for $800.

Note this is a very lowered Vert. I am running the 1 3/4 inch lower goldlines and am worried I will be hammering LT headers on all sorts of things, I had that problem with my olds, gave up and took off the headers...

Anyway, we are thinking of running the exhaust up high with short bullets in the back, dumping them at an angle such that you won't see the exhaust tips at all....

Has anyone tried that?

He thinks the LT headers won't clear so we are talking about running a set of JBM stainless headers for $650 for the set.

Thoughts are welcome, sarcasm is tollerated.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are very lowered, then TDs is going to be scrapping the ground every where you drive.

I jsut got rid of my 3" TDs, and i am at stock ride height. At the lowest spot i had 3 1/8" clearance
Old 07-24-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I also just got rid of my TD's, I had 2 1/2 inches of clearance
Old 07-25-2008, 02:46 AM
TECH Addict

Well I working on a set of 1.75 drop springs and a new true dual setup. Before I had just as much ground clerence with dumped bullets, if not more than the stock exhaust minus the headers. I have hooker headers on my car and they don't hang down, they are about even with the factory k member. I'm running an X pipe and everything. This time around I'm running the 2 2.5" pipes out of the X and down the tunnel, over the axle and into a daul in daul out muffler with a copy of the SLP 2OTL tips. I'm hoping to keep the good clerence and not have to go with a catback.

So I'd say as long as the shop takes their time and does the job right you should be ok. But remember that they are charging you $800 for the system. You can get a bassani true dual kit for that and I'm pretty sure that they have good clerence, but don't know first hand.

Good luck with whatever you decide and be sure to post some pics if you do get the duals done
Old 07-25-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just got rid of my duals too. I'm not a big fan of duals personally. I don't think they are worth the trouble or the money. If I had to guess I would say that system is aluminized isn't it. Your paying $800 for something that's going to rust in not time flat. If you want duals I would go with the Bassani setup. At least its stainless and mandrel bent.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Well I working on a set of 1.75 drop springs and a new true dual setup. Before I had just as much ground clerence with dumped bullets, if not more than the stock exhaust minus the headers. I have hooker headers on my car and they don't hang down, they are about even with the factory k member. I'm running an X pipe and everything. This time around I'm running the 2 2.5" pipes out of the X and down the tunnel, over the axle and into a daul in daul out muffler with a copy of the SLP 2OTL tips. I'm hoping to keep the good clerence and not have to go with a catback.

So I'd say as long as the shop takes their time and does the job right you should be ok. But remember that they are charging you $800 for the system. You can get a bassani true dual kit for that and I'm pretty sure that they have good clerence, but don't know first hand.

Good luck with whatever you decide and be sure to post some pics if you do get the duals done
Sounds like you are doing exactly what we talked about. Except we are going to try and run the tips both on the drivers side high and dump them at an angle such that from the back you won't see any tips at all. This guy has done the exhaust on my 68 olds, 58 Tbird and my suburban, he does good stuff and loves a challenge.

On the 68, the old exhaust used to bang and hit on everything, we removed the supercomp headers and redid the system to 3" and now it hasn't hit the ground since, so I have pretty good faith in him, the price seemed reasonable to me for what he is going to do....

By the way, that $800 includes the new high flow cats.

"Your paying $800 for something that's going to rust in no time flat." I see alot of talk about the systems rusting out in no time flat, is that a bigger problem everywhere other than here in CA? The system on my suburban is at least ten years old now and rust has yet to be a problem with it. Now the flowmaster on it, is starting to wear thin and I can see it is starting to seap out the bottom of it and I will need to replace it pretty soon.

Regarding the bassani, magnaflow systems, I found a web site called ls1sound.com and looked at the systems on there and they all didn't look very good to me. Is that due to installation or just the inherant system?

Another friend suggested I get a set of pacesetter lts and the magnaflow system off summitracing instead, then I would end up paying Ron to install the magnaflow system, and get cats so I am about even either way for money I think, it's just a matter of which one is going to work best for an LS1 with a mild cam, LS6 intake, A4 and a daily driver... and sound and look best.

Right now I am leaning to the custom system with the stainless jba headers, in the past I have had bad luck with off the shelf systems, but I was looking for what others were doing.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Teching In

so ur paying $800 for true duals X pipe w/ high flowcats all the way out back. thats dirt cheap, do u know the guy or something
Old 07-25-2008, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by campia
so ur paying $800 for true duals X pipe w/ high flowcats all the way out back. thats dirt cheap, do u know the guy or something
Yeah, he is a friend and a client, I just finished getting his tail out of trouble with the IRS on an audit of some prior years.

They orginally wanted over 7k in taxes after the auditor went through and did his thing.... I sat down with the client, told him which line on the return the auditor threw out a bunch of deductions, how to go back and support those items tossed, went to the auditor, and the auditor revised his adjustments in the audit, the final tab... just over $600. But now I am going to amend the next years return and get that back based on something the auditor did on his paper work....so he really ended up with no adjustment....

so yeah, he really likes me at the moment. So when my tab for that work comes in, it will almost be a net zero for my exhaust and his audit support and amended tax return.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

That seems like a good deal, and since you are in California your exhaust set up wont rust out ( pretty much everyone outside of California is freezin there nuts off outside of cali), but just get stainless or coat it for longevity. Are the jbm shorties or mid length? If you are looking for power(since your running duals) raise the car up a bit keep the long tubes, no one really complains to much about scraping unless they have the slp headers or live in a place like San Francisco, side note is it 3'' or 2.5'' setup (unless you have heads and cam 2.5'' is more than you ever need) good luck
Old 07-25-2008, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

I have mid-length headers and 3" true duals on a strano lowered car and i dont have any problems. Which is suprising since the exhaust originally came off of a stock ride heigth car. I just have to watch out over speed bumps.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by c5z28
That seems like a good deal, and since you are in California your exhaust set up wont rust out ( pretty much everyone outside of California is freezin there nuts off outside of cali), but just get stainless or coat it for longevity. Are the jbm shorties or mid length? If you are looking for power(since your running duals) raise the car up a bit keep the long tubes, no one really complains to much about scraping unless they have the slp headers or live in a place like San Francisco, side note is it 3'' or 2.5'' setup (unless you have heads and cam 2.5'' is more than you ever need) good luck

It looks like the shorties are the only ones that can be had and be smog legal in CA, so that is what I am going to run, I have a friend running LT pacesetters in Sac, so I need to find out from him how he is getting away with it. I'm really not up for registering the car in another local to get around the smog laws, etc... way to much work on a daily driver car.

I'm not planning to go anything beyond a mild cam, ls6 intake, ported TB and a new tune, so it sounds like the LT won't make a vast increase over the shorties.... still wondering about the long debate about wether shorties even make any difference, aren't worth the money, etc... but seems like they can't hurt.

Regarding the exhaust, I think he is going to run 2.5" back and first run four small glasspacks and see how it sounds. He is going to keep the car for about a week while he messes around with the exhuast, while I am out of town for a week long class .

He figures it will be a very nice setup and will get some of the other Fbody guys he knows in town to switch to it.... He's directive is for the car to not sound like it does now.. has a flowmaster on it, and it sounds like a cross between a street bike and well, not sure what, but it doesn't sound like a V8 should.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't understand why the aluminized pipe would rust in no time flat when most likely the car will only see nice weather. I am going to have 2.5 inch duals done over the axle with aluminzed pipe and I only drive the car in warm-dry weather...it will take a long time to rust; I would think.

Search this Thread