Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Took the TC76 w/MPS wheel out for a few 3rd gear blasts tonight

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Took the TC76 w/MPS wheel out for a few 3rd gear blasts tonight

I'm still just getting into boost 'a little' every now and then since I got it running right last week. Tonight, I had to go to the store and it was dusk when I was returning down the long straight black top on the way to the house. I saw an LS1 Formula pull in behind me when I passed a convenience store along the way. As we got up close to the area where passing is allowed, he got up on my bumper in the 45mph zone, obviously positioning himself to pass me. I downshifted to 3rd and decided to see what it felt like to go beyond the normal 4,500 RPM threshold to which I'd been relegating myself. I pressed the gas pedal, not stomping it. As it got into the 10psi and then beyond, I had to keep watching the road and steering. I'm still shaking but have a mile wide grin on my face. I mentioned on my website that I missed the "demented" power of the turbos. I've put up with a lot of ankle biting problems to get the engine and car set up right but DAYEM it was all worth it. I can't believe I have such a sleeper monster. Looking and listening to my car, you'd never think it had anything but a bone stock '96 LT1. Only the FMIC gives any indication. I want to thank everyone here that gave me tips and answered what had to appear as incessant questions about all things Turbo. Big thanks to Dr Turbo for the T76. Also thanks to RealQuick for the Log Manifolds, Bret Bauer for the Turbo Cam. I don't even have this thing fine tuned and it's a killer. I've gone 11.1 @ 121 mph with N2O and it was nothing compared to this. I've got to get the fine tuning done then get to the dyno. That will probably be the first weekend of August.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The good old TC76 will put a smile on your face everytime. Sucker works awesome...
Old 07-24-2008, 10:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats. Good luck.

Chris
Old 07-24-2008, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to see turbos making people feel good after all the extra time it takes to get running nice. Cant wait to go up to a 76.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I really cant wait go get my setup up and running. Shame its a few more months out.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats awesome dude, I had a similar experience the other day when I got into mine a little more than I had (like you, tune's not spot on yet and only about 200 miles on the motor so far...I was limiting myself to 4500 as well). I've got a 76GTS and rolling into 2nd it spiked up to 8 lbs with about 1/2 throttle and hazed my hoosier DRs! I couldn't get the smile off my face for about an hour either! haha

Good luck on the dyno, that thing should make awesome power and hella torque for sure
Old 07-25-2008, 07:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are making me want to get a 2nd job again to hurry up and get my car running again!

Quick Reply: Took the TC76 w/MPS wheel out for a few 3rd gear blasts tonight