Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sam Strano! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 03:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sam Strano! Help!

i have always been a drag racer, but i have just joined the SCCA as a chapter has started in my area. i am looking forward to start doing some autox and road racing, but i also want to continue drag racing as well. i need your help/recommendations on building my car for double duty. here's what i have:
'94 firebird formula, M6
stock springs, shocks, sway bars, front k-member and a-arms
spohn adj tq arm, lower control arms, adj panhard rod, tunnel brace w/DSL
UMI trans xmember w/tq arm relocation, 3 pnt subframes

i really don't want to lower the car more than 1" due to ground clearance (and the roads where i live suck!)

thank you, in advance, for your time and assistance.

Last edited by gearhead1320; 07-26-2008 at 04:23 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

you would get a better answer by calling him though
Old 07-26-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

what kind of LCAs do you have? poly/poly poly/rod rod/rod?

really though, regardless of what the LCAs are (bc you wont notice the difference right now), you should go out with what you have now. get seat time and as much possible. when you start building more speed and confidence and skill, then you should start adding parts as needed, 1st being shocks (koni's). get used to things and move progressively. you will become a better driver bc you will learn how each of the mods changes things in the setup

best of luck to you, and welcome to high speed left and right hand turns
Old 07-26-2008, 02:59 PM
Teching In

hey, thanks. i appreciate it a lot. i guess i should have thought of that, since that's how i've been building it for the straight line (which is why so much of it is still stock).

thanks, i am really lookin forward to some twisties!

btw, everything i have so far is poly/poly
Old 07-26-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

no prob

it's really not necessary to change right now, but as you get into it more you'll want to either go poly/rod or rod/rod (and really, LCAs aren't necessary for most people so stock or 1LE would work well too)..but i think new/better shocks would be the 1st thing you'd want to do after you do some events
Old 07-28-2008, 06:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

You certainly don't have to quit drag racing to autox....

That said, the two sports are only similar in that you are in a car, and trying to go for a quick time. Turning and launching want some very different chassis and suspension recations. We can make a car that handles well drag race pretty well, but you can't make a drag suspension turn very well.

I have folks on various sets meant to turn running in the 1.6-1.7 range on their 60's. No, it's not 1.5's, but then those cars can't pull 1g either.

SIK02SS is right, as you'll need to call me if I'm to help you as much as I can (there are things to discuss). I'd ask that before you call, you do two things. First, get a rulebook or download the SCCA rule book. At this point it seems to me you are in Street Mod already, but best to know how the rules work. And the other second thing, is thing about what's most important to you. I'm a handling guy, and I think you can use a good handing car's ability a lot more often, and everyday because it also makes the car drive better (not just turn faster). However, I'm not going to judge if you prefer the drag race thing, just remember that we can make the car leave still pretty well while making it turn. You just need to decide what the priority is and to what extent.

The Camaro I did for GMHTP magazine has a pretty basic handling setup on it, and one that has pulled 1.6 60's on other cars when on drag radials. On this car the suspension alone was good for about 3.4 seconds, and when sticky tires were added another 3.5 fell off the time on a 1.3 mile road course.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Sam Strano! Help!