Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone using the ASA cam?/info

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 02:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone using the ASA cam?/info

I was htinking of getting the ASA cam anyone have any expierence with this cam?What all will I need to do?Bigger springs?Will this go with my future plans of TEA stageII 5.3 heads,longtubes, and true dual exhaust?
Old 08-26-2003, 08:43 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: anyone using the ASA cam?/info

It seems that people have had both good and bad experiences in getting the ASA to run well as a daily driver. Those who install it and get it to idle (either through tuning or by luck) love the cam. I love the way it sounds, it is wicked, but if I were to put a cam that big in, I'd go for something with higher lift (though the low lift makes it easy on the valvetrain). Some are running LS6 springs with the ASA. I''d do at least 918's. Good luck! Oh yeah, get some hardened pushrods while you're at it.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:36 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the info.I had read before that it could be nasty to get to idle.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:37 AM
Launching!

I was one of the lucky ones. I have run around 3000 miles with out a profesional tune on my ASA.It idles with no problem. Though it does sound so mean. I love it. I have 918 springs with titainium retainers and chromoly push rods. I ran a 12.7 at 115 mph with my ASA. This was through stock manifolds and street tires. The cam will be the sht with long tubes and true duals. I can send you a sound clip of the ASA through jet hot long tubes and LM exhaust if you want. Pm me your emai address and I will get it out.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

In one of my old setups I had an ASA cam, TEA stage II 5.3L heads, and Thunder Racing long tubes. I never took it to the track but it was really fun to drive on the street. After awhile I wish I had gone with something with a little more lift. Although having so much duration helped out a lot. I got the cam to idle the first time I started it up without any problems or tuning. The cam would surge a little bit below 2000 RPM in a low gear. But you get use to driving around it I guess. Oh, and it sounded badass! Especially with open headers!
Old 03-23-2004, 02:12 AM
Launching!

Man,I still want this cam.It sucks to be broke.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

what gears were you running with this cam thanks any dyno sheets
Old 03-23-2004, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Personally, I would get the ASA cam, SLP 1.85 rockers, 7.350" trend pushrods, Ported Heads with hollow stem valves and gm 12565313 springs. This would make one killer street combo, plus you could rev it to the moon. But thats just what I would do.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess my question is why? There are a lot of better designs out there. Remember what the cam was designed for. ASA racing.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:49 PM
Launching!

i had this cam... it was a good beginner cam... t-rex all the way

mike
Old 03-24-2004, 03:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a used one, 140 miles for sale if anyone is interested- 150 to your door

Louis
Old 03-24-2004, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

wheres george at he used this cam. ls6 CNC ported heads appear to compliment this cam nicely.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

so people do use this cam with stock tune...
Old 02-01-2005, 11:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by greekss
so people do use this cam with stock tune...

YES, but you talk about somthing that will **** you the hell off... lol... i had this cam in my first car and it made me SOOOOOOOOOOoo mad in the summer that i just couldnt stand it. it wont crank, it wont run, it will just **** you off. get it tuned ... lol...

p.s. GREAT running cam though after tune and good clutch... yeeee hawww bitch

mike
Old 02-02-2005, 12:42 AM
TECH Regular

even after drilling the T/B and adjusting the idle screw ?
Old 02-02-2005, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by greekss
even after drilling the T/B and adjusting the idle screw ?

yes. even after drilling the TB.

here is what happened with my car:

cold cranking, car would crank and run BEAUTIFULLY. lope like no other. but then as soon as you start to get it hot, it doesnt want to keep running. the air conditioner wont turn on without stalling out the car unless you had it at a complete stop and sort of let the car learn the extra load. when you turn really sharp it turns off ( powersteering pump load ). when you crank it hot, it wont start, you have to feather the throttle. if you are hard core then this will be fine, but just plain pissed me off.

now when i got my second car, i threw in the hotcam (like an idiot) and the car cranked and ran great every time. imagine that... lol...

this cam is a great beginner cam, but is nothing like a real power cam. i would not recommend this cam. but dont let me discourage you, there are alot of people running this thing that love it. my old car is still running around town every day with this cam and he loves it now that it is tuned

mike
Old 02-02-2005, 01:42 PM
Launching!

If you want decent power, killer sound, and a long life for your valve train get the ASA. But get it tuned. You will want to tune any cam period for max HP anyway. If you go with a bigger cam via the amount of lift you will be checking your valve springs every 10,000 ish miles. I think that is where the popularity comes in with the ASA. Good power, Great torque, Great sound, Easy on valve train. But as most people want as much power as possible this cam gets skipped over. I had this cam until I sold my 02 Z28 and loved it. I tuned it myself to make it idle with LS1 edit. Worked great for me. I was considering going with the cam again on my Z06 but then decieded I wanted some more power. I went with a custom set up this time around. Good luck with whatever choice you make.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dazman
yes. even after drilling the TB.

here is what happened with my car:

cold cranking, car would crank and run BEAUTIFULLY. lope like no other. but then as soon as you start to get it hot, it doesnt want to keep running. the air conditioner wont turn on without stalling out the car unless you had it at a complete stop and sort of let the car learn the extra load. when you turn really sharp it turns off ( powersteering pump load ). when you crank it hot, it wont start, you have to feather the throttle. if you are hard core then this will be fine, but just plain pissed me off.

now when i got my second car, i threw in the hotcam (like an idiot) and the car cranked and ran great every time. imagine that... lol...

this cam is a great beginner cam, but is nothing like a real power cam. i would not recommend this cam. but dont let me discourage you, there are alot of people running this thing that love it. my old car is still running around town every day with this cam and he loves it now that it is tuned

mike

Mike,
You have the Trex now huh. I thought about that cam but did not want to rev that high. I went with a custom grind. 228/232 .581/.591 112 LSA. It is going in my Z06 next week with some LT's, Vararam intake, and a 100 shot of N20. Hehe.
How do you like the Trex and have you had it to the track yet. I am taking my Z06 to the track for the first time this afternoon to get a base line run in.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Louis
I have a used one, 140 miles for sale if anyone is interested- 150 to your door

Louis
Do you still have the cam?

Thanks

Quick Reply: anyone using the ASA cam?/info