Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon headunit isn't working!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Monsoon headunit isn't working!

My car sat all winter and spring and the battery was completely drained when we went to start it. So my dad pulled the battery, charged it, and everything is great now...except the stereo system!

When I push the power button, I can hear some really faint static, but nothing shows up on the screen, volume control does nothing, antenna stays down, channels don't change, buttons don't do anything, etc.

I've checked fuses (the ones I know about anyway). I read up on the theftlock system and I don't think that is the cause. I haven't messed with any of the system, so I don't see how anything could have gotten unplugged.

Any ideas?
Old 07-28-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone?
Old 07-30-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Come on, throw an idea out there...I've got nothing!

What all fuses should I be checking?
Old 07-30-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

If the theft lock was on you should still get a display on the LCD. Could critters have got to your wiring? I'd pull the head unit out of the dash and check the wires behind. It's real easy.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ghardester
If the theft lock was on you should still get a display on the LCD. Could critters have got to your wiring? I'd pull the head unit out of the dash and check the wires behind. It's real easy.
I really don't think that is possible. We have a really nice, heated shop...finished floors, insulated and covered walls, metal ceiling...basically it's really unlikely that any critters could have gotten to it.

That being said, I'm open to trying anything. Are there instructions on how to pull out the head unit to check it out?

Thanks!
Matt
Old 07-31-2008, 07:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Just carefully pry off the trim bezel that goes around the head unit and HVAC controls (it's held on by spring clips), remove the three hex-head screws holding the head unit brackets (7mm socket), and pull the head unit out. It may be one of the easiest head unit removals I've ever done - takes two minutes or less.