Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Still torque arm trouble need help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 05:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still torque arm trouble need help!

I have been having issues with my torque arm for a long time now, and still am...The stocker mounts kept braking, so i bought a bmr torque arm that bolts to the floor instead of the tranny. It wasnt wide enought at the rear to slide over the rear end, so i could only get two bolts in, i finally spread it apart (pita) and got all the bolts in it. They kept ripping out, so i got some harder grade bolts that are holding up.

Now when i hit the brakes hard, the rear end starts going crazy like it does when the torque arm brakes, or is off. The only things that have been changed since this started this is the drive shaft broke, and i got it welded back up, but is out of balance, and i dont think thats the prob. The other thing is the torque arm, but it all looks good???
Old 07-27-2008, 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

I also noticed that the rear end raises ALOT when you hit the brakes and it sounds like maybe the drive shaft is getting its *** kicked by the torque arm when it raises?
Old 07-28-2008, 08:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you've got two issues going on here. First, from a safety issue, get a new driveshaft!! I don't know what it would cost you where you live, but there's a shop local to me that will make a complete new one for under $200. "Fixing" a broken driveshaft is simply asking for trouble, especially if you're not using a safety loop, and $200 is cheap insurance, for both you as well as the car.

That being said, did you set your pinion angle? If so, are you sure it's correct? The braking issues can sometimes be attributed to an incorrectly set pinion angle. The general consensus here is that you should run (-) 2 degrees.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello, you need to get a new drive shaft. We offer several different types for your car. Like leadfoot said you need to check you pinion angle. We have a three minute video on our site on how to set it properly. I will post a couple links to the drive shafts and the video. If you have any questions please contact us. Our tech dept is open till 6pm est mon-fri.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodyDrivetrain.htm

http://www.bmrtvonline.com/featured_...php?reset=true
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-31-2008, 12:08 AM
12 Second Club

I looked through your guys torque arms, and im thinking my isnt BMR i bought it used, and thats what i thought it was...My torque arm is red, its got two round bars going up the car, merging into one single bar. That single bar has another smaller car that slides into it, and pivots on a point that is bolted onto the floorboard. It also has a driveshaft loop. Im just sick of messing with it. It keeps ripping the bolts out of the rear end, and also is pounding the bottom of my car. I think it broke, leading to my driveshaft breaking. I will just try to buy a new one from BMR and change the whole set up. Tonight when i took it for a spin with the slicks on, every time i hit the brakes it rubbed the drive shaft.

Quick Reply: Still torque arm trouble need help!