Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blew a head gasket; need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Blew a head gasket; need advice

I just blew a head gasket(driver side), and I need advice on what gasket to use on my setup; LS6 cnc stage 3 heads, LS6 intake, TR 230ish cam and a 150 wet shot. Stock CR.
It happened yesterday at around 4000-4500rpm in 2nd gear on N2O. The car was tuned at TTPerformance. Was on the safe side on A/F ratio and the tune was more like a N20 tune n/a.

I want the strongest gasket on earth please.

And should I use this opportunity to raise the CR to 11:1-5 without a new tune?

thanks

Last edited by Johnnystock; 07-28-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:20 PM
8 second mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have tried commetic, copper , gm mls, and felpro mls. the ones i found to be the best imo are the fel pro mls ones. they have a oating on them so they seal real good, and they have helld for me for atleast 50 passes 14.5-1 compression and 100 shot. running bottom 9's. id recomend head studs while your in there if you dont already have them
Old 07-28-2008, 05:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
I just blew a head gasket(driver side), and I need advice on what gasket to use on my setup; LS6 cnc stage 3 heads, LS6 intake, TR 230ish cam and a 150 wet shot. Stock CR.

I want the strongest gasket on earth please.

And should I use this opportunity to raise the CR to 11:1-5 without a new tune?

thanks

GM MLS, if you have a hook up at a dealership you can get them dirt cheap too.

I wouldn't up the compression without a new tune afterwards personally.

What gaskets were you running?

What caused it to blow?
Old 07-28-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Noyzee
i have tried commetic, copper , gm mls, and felpro mls. the ones i found to be the best imo are the fel pro mls ones. they have a oating on them so they seal real good, and they have helld for me for atleast 50 passes 14.5-1 compression and 100 shot. running bottom 9's. id recomend head studs while your in there if you dont already have them
The problem is that I already have ARP head stud and Fel pro gasket(maybe not the MLS) right now!!?? But the car had that coolant smell since the rebuild(2years ago I got a forged 348). Still, it wasnt leaking so I didnt bother because it wasnt that bad and no shop ever told me anything was wrong with the coolant.

Now that I've said that,could it be something else than a head gasket? I didnt put the car on a lift to confirm and see it was that but I assumed it was it since the coolant is pissing on the left headers.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BAKED
What caused it to blow?
Nothing major I could think of. The tune is right on the spot.so idk ??
Old 07-28-2008, 05:47 PM
8 second mod

The problem is that I already have head stud and Fel pro gasket right now!!?? But the car had that coolant smell since the rebuild. Still it wasnt leaking so I didnt bother becaus eit wasnt that bad and no shop ever told me anything was wrong with the coolant.

Now that I've said that,could it be something else than a head gasket? I didnt put the car on a lift to confirm and see it was that but I assumed since the coolant is pissing on the left headers.
if its been leaking for a while it could be the gasket, it could be a warped head, or deck, could be anything. who did the work? did they check evrything? any head gasket will blow if the tune is off or the head/deck is off etc etc, some may seal better and be more forgiving, but anything can blow.
if i can keep felpros in my car making 800-900 rwhp (untill i hit it har)
im sure they will hold up in your car unless there is another problem.

now, i had a set of new fel pro gaskets last year i put the car together raced it got home and water coming from the head.. son of a bitch, rip it apart head gasket looks ok, but i could see small spots, so i put new ones on put it all back together with new ones and still leaking. son of a bitch, take it all apart. brought the head to my machines, we checked it, it was a couple hundred tho off, so we cut it, i put it all back together with the one time crushed gasket. put it all back together and son of a bitch i never should have re used that gasket its friggin leaking!!

get another set, put it all back together check the head and block again thing im all good now.
nope, still leaking. we ripped it apart again and really dug into the head to find a crack in the head right around the head stud washer.

now that there was a very long and not cheep weekend of working, working on the car and over nighting head gaskets!!!!!
Old 07-28-2008, 05:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you use a MLS gasket your head and block surfaces have to be smoother than they would have to be if you were using a normal gasket. If your machine shop doesn't have the right equipment to get them that smooth that could be part of your problem.

Has the motor been hot? If so was it hot enough to warp a head?

If you are already running head studs and the Fel-Pro MLS gaskets then I'd say you have a warped head or the surface isn't smooth enough because head studs and MLS gaskets should be more than enough to handle what you are doing.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:50 PM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by BAKED
When you use a MLS gasket your head and block surfaces have to be smoother than they would have to be if you were using a normal gasket. If your machine shop doesn't have the right equipment to get them that smooth that could be part of your problem.

Has the motor been hot? If so was it hot enough to warp a head?

If you are already running head studs and the Fel-Pro MLS gaskets then I'd say you have a warped head or the surface isn't smooth enough because head studs and MLS gaskets should be more than enough to handle what you are doing.
i agree, not only does it have to be smooth, but it has to be very clean. the felpro gaskets have a layer of sealer on them, i think thats why they work so good
Old 07-28-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Work has been done in a nice shop around here and I'm sure they did it right. About the heads, Paid 500$ to a local engine shop to get them checked all the way and cleaned and smoothed. All precautions have been taken and I'm there with the leaking gasket.

The heads never went over 175° but reached 230°max 2-3times recently after they did the rebuild. Car had always run cool at 175° or less.

The tune was crappy for a long time running like a rich pig after the rebuild but no N20 until I got the tune.

Last edited by Johnnystock; 07-28-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

I'm thinking about doing the work myself, again.

Story is The head gasket blew on the driver 4months after I bought the car. Then, I replaced the gaskets with Fel pro.2 weeks after, I spun a rod. So I got a deal on a forged 348. Local shop did the install; they are familiar with the LSx engine. Never had a problem before now. But always had that small sweet smell. Maybe i got some casual small tiny leak but everytime I went to the shop to check it out, leak was gone.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Noyzee
if its been leaking for a while it could be the gasket, it could be a warped head, or deck, could be anything. who did the work? did they check evrything? any head gasket will blow if the tune is off or the head/deck is off etc etc, some may seal better and be more forgiving, but anything can blow.
if i can keep felpros in my car making 800-900 rwhp (untill i hit it har)
im sure they will hold up in your car unless there is another problem.

now, i had a set of new fel pro gaskets last year i put the car together raced it got home and water coming from the head.. son of a bitch, rip it apart head gasket looks ok, but i could see small spots, so i put new ones on put it all back together with new ones and still leaking. son of a bitch, take it all apart. brought the head to my machines, we checked it, it was a couple hundred tho off, so we cut it, i put it all back together with the one time crushed gasket. put it all back together and son of a bitch i never should have re used that gasket its friggin leaking!!

get another set, put it all back together check the head and block again thing im all good now.
nope, still leaking. we ripped it apart again and really dug into the head to find a crack in the head right around the head stud washer.

now that there was a very long and not cheep weekend of working, working on the car and over nighting head gaskets!!!!!

I would be still banging my head against the wall...you have ***** for sure.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:43 PM
8 second mod

sounds to me that you should try a pressure test on it befor you do anything. pump the radiator up and see if it leaks down, then very carefully look for where the water is leaking from and you will find your proble, i didnt do this the first couple times, when i finnally did problem solved
Old 07-28-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

I'll do for sure before getting deep in it!
Old 07-29-2008, 08:48 AM
8 second mod

I'll do for sure before getting deep in it!
good luck, let us know what you find.
but keep in mind the head gasket didnt blow itself. somthing made it happen, so keep a close eye out.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

I think that my head driver side is cracked or damaged since the car smells coolant since I bought it..

Big question now is: what head I'll be buying!!?? I'll let you know what the outcome is in a couple of weeks when I'll remove the head and check.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:32 AM
8 second mod

presure test it on the car, that will tell all.
for what its worth, im 100% happy with my trick flow i got threw TEA, they are A++++
Old 07-30-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Do you think the head could be alright but the design make it push water easier than other casting/brand??
Old 07-30-2008, 12:42 PM
8 second mod

what brand head is it?
Old 07-30-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Another problem is that Idk the answer. I've checked and its the head gasket leaking between the 2 rear cylinders, leak is on the edge of the block.

I'll be removing the head tomorrow and get pic of it so maybe I can find out what brand it is. It does say 243 on the front of it...

I ordered a Fel pro gasket like I have on the other side. I'll only do one head gasket.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:01 AM
8 second mod

Another problem is that Idk the answer. I've checked and its the head gasket leaking between the 2 rear cylinders, leak is on the edge of the block.

I'll be removing the head tomorrow and get pic of it so maybe I can find out what brand it is. It does say 243 on the front of it...

I ordered a Fel pro gasket like I have on the other side. I'll only do one head gasket.
243 is a gm head.
check to be sure the head is not warped, cut the head so be sure surface is perfect and clean. check the block very close with a straight edge to be sure its on.
your running the fel pro MLS gasket correct?