Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C5 Kit Hits Rim!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Kit Hits Rim!!!

i bought the c5 brake conversion kit and my rims were not on the list that would not work. i have 19x9.5 hp racing evos. it hits the caliper by like 1/8 of an inch. what do i do??? has anyone fixed this before with wheel spacers of thinner pads?!!!!!! please help me out on what i can and should do!
Old 07-29-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

bump!
Old 07-29-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

You'll likely have to run wheel spacers. It's probably a problem similar to that of Ruff Racing wheels, which you can't even run on stock brakes using the +35mm offset on the fronts. The only thing is that you'll be pushing your wheels out more and I know that the HPs run flush as it is with the fender. You probably don't want the wheels sticking out past the fender.

Thinner pads would probably work too but I'd determine exactly how much clearance you need before proceeding with this. You don't want to ruin a new set of pads.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Launching!

You could shave the "corvette lettering off"? I'm not sure if this would allow enough clearance but it's an idea.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98redM6
You'll likely have to run wheel spacers. It's probably a problem similar to that of Ruff Racing wheels, which you can't even run on stock brakes using the +35mm offset on the fronts. The only thing is that you'll be pushing your wheels out more and I know that the HPs run flush as it is with the fender. You probably don't want the wheels sticking out past the fender.

Thinner pads would probably work too but I'd determine exactly how much clearance you need before proceeding with this. You don't want to ruin a new set of pads.
i was thinkin of TRYING a 1/4 wheel spacer just on the front.? is that going to be noticeable. hopefully safe? they are only like 50-60 bucks so i orderd them last night! i have the hawk pads on right now. what is thinner than that ?
Old 07-29-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tylergarceau
i was thinkin of TRYING a 1/4 wheel spacer just on the front.? is that going to be noticeable. hopefully safe? they are only like 50-60 bucks so i orderd them last night! i have the hawk pads on right now. what is thinner than that ?

You will have to get ARP wheel studs. The front studs wont be long enough to safley run spacers without them. The draw back to that is they only come in 3.5in and 2.5in long and you will need some 2.25in long. So you can do what I did...buy the 2.5in and cut .25in off the ends. They work like a charm after that.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

i sent you a pm!
Old 07-29-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run 1/2" spacers up front and nothing in the rear. It helps the car turn in.

1/4" might be too much for stock studs, as mentioned above. Just look and see if the all threads are fully engaged in the nut and on the stud.

Another possibility is getting a set of GM truck wheel studs. They are the same length as the F-Car stock studs and threaded all the way to the end.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Get some hubcentric spacers, not just any of the cheap ones. You want the spacers to stay centered on the hub. 1/4 won't leave you much hub length left but it will work.

Also definitely get the stronger ARP studs or what Mitch recommended. Open ended lugs. Torque them all evenly with a torque wrench. Seems like a pain, but I'd say it's worth it if it lets you use the brakes without modifying the wheel or the caliper
Old 07-29-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^
http://www.skulte.com/product_info.p...c60684bb87528e

Those are high quality and will do the trick. They are a little expensive but they should provide more peace of mind for you. They also offer wheelcentric lips on them.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hubcentric ...

I understand the need and purpose. However, if you snug up the lug nuts a little at a time, allowing the acorn side of the lugnut to center up the wheel , you will be fine without the lip.

I just barely snug 1 lug and you can see the wheel flatten against the mounting surface. Then hit another lug on the opposite side and you can see the wheel center itself. Then torque the rest of them.

Quick Reply: C5 Kit Hits Rim!!!