Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-27-2016, 02:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Braking issues, help some help on this one.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Braking issues, help some help on this one.

Just bought my new Toy last week, a 99 mystic green TA and I'm trying to figure out what the hell this problem could be. The car tracks fine till brakes are applied, the it pulls to the left. steering input is very very touching. I had a 95 formula and i know it's not supposed to be like that. A second thing is the car brakes fine using light to medium braking. But if I apply the brakes hard the car pulls to the left then the car jerks right real hard, making the car sway badly and scaring the **** out of me. It almost making me fishtail every time it dose it. I feel a small pop of sorts from the pedal and I think it depresses just a little not sure. Both wheels spin fine 4-5 times freely. no leaks of any sort, felt the hoses and didn't feel any bulging.

I went ahead to today and had my brakes flushed/bled while they were recharging my A/C, thinking that their might be some air in the lines. It was no good problems still there. I'm going to try some things tomorrow and check the pads, etc.. Then go in for an alignment.

If its not the alignment I can only guess that the left front bake is pressing to hard and then losing pressure when applied hard.

Guess my question is has this happed to anyone and anyone have some suggestion I can try out.

Sorry, I know that was long
Thanks, JR
Old 07-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Launching!

Well, you already hit the points I was going to raise: alignment, collapsed brake line, or seized caliper. FWIW, my rear end gets major squirrely when I hit the brakes quick and hard from a fast speed (say above 50 mph). I believe that's caused by shitty stock suspension allowing too much weight to shift forward, making the rear end loose.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would go alignment or a bad caliper or hose. If it were mine I would go ahead and change both front hoses and calipers. You must have the rotors turned or replaced when changing the pads though.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Yep, could be a lot of things ranging from a stuck caliper to a broken shock and about anything in between. Alignment, bad bushings...

The fact the car is "touchy" tells me it's maybe not just a brake issue, fwiw.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-30-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had this problem but it wasn't nearly as bad as the OPs...replaced my shocks and springs and now its almost gone...i'm guessing once i replace my shot bushings it'll be alright!
Old 07-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

I managed to find to problem. I had look under the whole car front and back looking for the cause. I didn't take my car in to be aligned yesterday but I did mange to notices when I was walking up to the car that the back wheel was closer (just a little) to the back of the wheel well. I jack the car up real quick the looked over the control arms and such. I noticed that (most likely) when the previous owner put in the new transmission he forgot to tighten down the trans rubber brackets for the rearend alignment brace (I just forgot what its called runs from the tranny to the rearend). The rubbers was cracked and ruined but I had a replacement for it. The sway and drifting left only when braking was caused from the rear end sway back and forth, making the car very touchy. Then at the critical left sway the rearend would snap back right under hard braking. cars not out of alignment, all the brake and parts are good, car in not touchy at all now.

I've been fixing small problems like this on the car for a week now: VATS trouble, grounds not reconnected, injectors rings, vacuum line not reconnected, coil pack (power) wire cut somehow, etc.

But for the prices I got it for I cant complain .
Thanks for the help guys, now on the the window motors

Quick Reply: Braking issues, help some help on this one.