Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Heat wrap on aluminum piping

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Heat wrap on aluminum piping

My inlet pipe/hat to my procharger is aluminum, and it sits about 1/4" away from my radiator fans, so it has hot air blowing straigiht on it. My IAT's at idle tend to be around 108-116, in hot weather. Do you guys think I would benefit from some type of heat wrap? Maybe something like this.
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro....asp?RecId=395

I have some aluminum heat wrap that is good up to 265 degrees, that is used for heat ducts and stuff like that, but not sure if I should use that.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

correct me if im wrong but I dont think thats a good idea. You use aluminum on the cold side because it disipates heat quickly to keep your air intake temps cooler. The whole point of heat wrap is to keep heat in, so if your wrap your intake pipe its going to make your inlet temps WAY hotter which is a VERY bad thing.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:50 AM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the thermotec thermal shield, its a single ply refelective sheet. Same **** I am running on my fuel hoses and water hoses.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Works for me. You get some protection from the reflective surface and some from the weave. Like Phil above, I use it on that exact type of stuff. Pretty good protective surface too, but it doesn't like braided steel line touching it at all from the outside.

JIm

Quick Reply: Heat wrap on aluminum piping