Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Matching Silver Paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Matching Silver Paint

I bought my car as a DD, but it pretty much is a weekend car, so I'm thinking about doing a little body work. I've got spider webs in the rear bumper and a few nicks and dings on the door, other than that the body and existing paint is in very good shape.

Question is, is it easy to match silver paint? I figure if I redo the door, it's going to have to be blended for it to look right, or will it look okay with just a good color matching? Also, it is easier to start over with a primed bumper cover (if I could find one) or work with the existing one?

Most importantly, what am I looking at for the paint job? I had a spoiler painted for my Grand Prix by the dealer and it cost $80.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:04 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on place and why they are actually doing and really how good do you want it.

You can do it with maaco on the cheap but unless you do your own body work, its going to look shoddy.

Depending on the shops around you, a good paint job often is at least 5k. Which is why most people dont do it. Because either...

A) the person doesnt know body work, or have the tools or a clean area

B) doesnt have the money

Id honestly sit down, look at your finances. go to shops, get quotes. Tell them exactly what you want which sounds like. Stripping the car down, fixing dents and prob replacing bumper (if its been flexed) and bear in mind this may up the value but dont expect that much back if sold.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:26 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Silver Is One Of The Hardest Colors To Match. You Can Change The Color By Changing Your Air Pressure. Its Definitely Tough But It Can Be Done.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!