Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone recommend a good "mini" starter??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone recommend a good "mini" starter??

looking for an LSx starter that is at least 2 or 3 inches shorter than the stock starter....bought myself a Summit Racing mini starter and the damn thing isn't so mini....its only about half inch shorter lengthwise than a stock starter and comes awfully clos to my headers....if I can find one an inch or two shorter it would be key! The car will be primarily street driven with some track, so "high torque" starters wont be necessary, reliability is more important to me. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 07-30-2008, 05:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not alot of aftermarket options in LS starters yet. I bought that summit one also but sent it back because it didn't engage the flywheel properly and it the wire connections were on the block side of the starer.

The only other aftermarket options I could find are the Powermaster XS Torque and an MSD unit. Nobody else makes LS starters.

I ended up buying the MSD starter. They say it is smaller than a stock unit, but I am not sure how much. this picture shows it is not much longer than the solenoid

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/5096/1...760097%7C10689
Old 07-30-2008, 07:07 AM
Staging Lane

that looks nice, did you get a chance to compare that to the summit racing starter before you sent it back? it LOOKS smaller....
Old 07-30-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No, there was about 6 months between the two.

I can measure the length of the unit if that is what you need to know. The diameter of the motor seems about the same as the summit one, but it mounts in line with the gear instead of above it like the summit unit did.

I don't have a stocker to compare it to either.

The sucker seems to have some *****.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the offer, I think this one will do. I dont have much of a choice apparently....the only other ones I found were the ones you mentioned...diameter isnt an issue I just need it an inch or two shorter

Quick Reply: Can anyone recommend a good "mini" starter??