Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

35K to build a track toy - need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 35K to build a track toy - need opinions

I posted this over in the general LSX section and am hoping to get some more input. Why is it a bad idea to build a procharged LSX large cube motor? I understand that torque would be hard to control but what else?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-automobile-discussion/961911-what-would-you-build.html

This will be my toy to have fun in. I want mid to upper 9 second car that is fairly reliable (no major repairs for a couple of seasons) not looking to break any records but want a little more than a 10 second car.

I can't think of anything cooler than a mid 9 second 427/454 procharged TA. I think with 9.# compression and mild boost and mild tune, it would last a few seasons and be fairly reliable.

thanks for any input.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally if I had $35K for a track toy, I would do a BBC RED. Pick up a nice used one for about $25K and be deep into the 8s and have $10K to spend elsewhere.

Keith
Old 07-30-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

its not a bad idea to build a procharged lsx large cube motor,for that size motor i would think u would be in the f2 size blower.That big of blower and motor would be way more than enough to go upper nines.KP has been in the high 8's with stock cubes and a lot smaller blower.With that blower u would need to make custom backets and pretty much a cog drive would be the only way to go.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98transguy
its not a bad idea to build a procharged lsx large cube motor,for that size motor i would think u would be in the f2 size blower.That big of blower and motor would be way more than enough to go upper nines.KP has been in the high 8's with stock cubes and a lot smaller blower.With that blower u would need to make custom backets and pretty much a cog drive would be the only way to go.
Ahh... Life would be a HELL of a lot easier if he went with a F1R. Anyhow, you can make 800+ rwhp (I would assume more) with the F1R. Then send your car to the chasis shop and you will run 9s all day. You don't have to muscle your way into the 9s. A light weight car that dead hooks will take you further than you think.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:34 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its a track car I suggest doing it like this........very nice setup and not to extreme on money....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...610&highlight=
Old 07-30-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
If its a track car I suggest doing it like this........very nice setup and not to extreme on money....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...610&highlight=
35K don't go too far on these kinds of builds
Old 07-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We offer a LSX 434 that woud be a good base to start with. $6410
Suspension, rear-end and transmission, fuel system, will need to be modified as well of course.
But you could also do it with our 408 and good heads and a power add. You have a few options with your budget but 35k is enough to get the job done and have it be reliable.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:21 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I'll tell you what I'm gonna do, I'll save you 5K and tomorrow you can have exactly what you want. I'll even deliver it for fuel only and get you acclimated with the tuning/driving.

Fresh engine/trans, zero at the track mantenance and if you put the D1SC on it the car will run 9.50s forever. 25.5 cage IHRA/NHRA certified to 7.50 until 4/2011. Last engine (346) lasted over 400 passes and still looked decent when I took it apart, this one was 100% new and has less than 50 passes on it. Been on the cover of a couple magazines and has a couple nice feature articles as well. Nothing is exotic or custom, anything on the car can be replaced with off the shelf parts. Car has 33K original miles and the original black paint is 8/10 at least.

Car will run mid 9s all day with a D1SC and low 9s/high 8s with the F1A. No nitrous bottles, no big honkin cam, no ice in the intercooler or meth pumps to deal with. Just pour some 112+ octane in the tank and go. Car has power steering, brakes, full exhaust, air shifter and is easy and fun to drive. Running 9.50 you would think you were making 11 second passes. Plus its fancy subdivision friendly and doesnt **** off the neighbors when you run it. My main goal with the car was no at the track maintenance and long life, also easy to work on if something does break. I shouldnt say this but in three years I have never had a problem at the track. Car is 100% ready to go, no BS, no waiting. Nothing is rigged on the car, I did most of the work myself (built and maintained race cars for a living for 20+ years), only thing i didnt do was the roll cage, W2W did it.

Shoot me a PM if interested, plenty of pics and there are many videos of the car over the years in the web page in my sig. I have owned the car for four years now and I'm simply bored with it, looking to get into something different.

And if you are the kind of guy that likes to build their own car I'll gladly disassemble the whole thing for a nominal fee and you can put it all back together
Old 07-30-2008, 12:21 PM
t-1
11 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

ok im personally going 408 with a gt4788. nearing assembly time just waiting on the machine shop.

imo i would go 347 with ten to one and run e 85 and get some used afrs for the thicker deck. several reasons why. the higher compression will allow you to make good power with a smaller and more manageable blower like a d1sc without adding fuel. 347 is lighter and keeps the weight off the front for the all important weight transfer. it also will allow you to be in budget. thicker deck help prevent headgasket headaches. call a sponosr and get a good cam and dont cut costs on vavle train.

exotic performance plus has an awesome d1 kit. make sure you get the scdp tensioner or youll wanna kill your self. i would also build a mini intercooler squirter to prevent heat soak

i would then focus more on suspension and weight. lighter is faster but most importantly lighter breaks less parts. by going practical on the engine you can afford... all chromo suspension pieces and lighter brakes, seats, hood, hatch and wheels.

i would go powerglide. lighter and they work great.

as far as i know big cubes with small blower is a waste of a motor to a point. and you gotta spin the little blower pretty hard to fill that big motor. big blower big cubes allows you to not have to push the blower and keep air temps down
Old 07-30-2008, 01:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
I'll tell you what I'm gonna do, I'll save you 5K and tomorrow you can have exactly what you want. I'll even deliver it for fuel only and get you acclimated with the tuning/driving.

Fresh engine/trans, zero at the track mantenance and if you put the D1SC on it the car will run 9.50s forever. 25.5 cage IHRA/NHRA certified to 7.50 until 4/2011. Last engine (346) lasted over 400 passes and still looked decent when I took it apart, this one was 100% new and has less than 50 passes on it. Been on the cover of a couple magazines and has a couple nice feature articles as well. Nothing is exotic or custom, anything on the car can be replaced with off the shelf parts. Car has 33K original miles and the original black paint is 8/10 at least.

Car will run mid 9s all day with a D1SC and low 9s/high 8s with the F1A. No nitrous bottles, no big honkin cam, no ice in the intercooler or meth pumps to deal with. Just pour some 112+ octane in the tank and go. Car has power steering, brakes, full exhaust, air shifter and is easy and fun to drive. Running 9.50 you would think you were making 11 second passes. Plus its fancy subdivision friendly and doesnt **** off the neighbors when you run it. My main goal with the car was no at the track maintenance and long life, also easy to work on if something does break. I shouldnt say this but in three years I have never had a problem at the track. Car is 100% ready to go, no BS, no waiting. Nothing is rigged on the car, I did most of the work myself (built and maintained race cars for a living for 20+ years), only thing i didnt do was the roll cage, W2W did it.

Shoot me a PM if interested, plenty of pics and there are many videos of the car over the years in the web page in my sig. I have owned the car for four years now and I'm simply bored with it, looking to get into something different.

And if you are the kind of guy that likes to build their own car I'll gladly disassemble the whole thing for a nominal fee and you can put it all back together
/thread
Old 07-30-2008, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Thanks KP, sounds like an awesome car. I do like to pick my own parts and build it the way I want. yours sounds like what mine will hopefully turn into. no money right now but in 6 months I will be debt free other than utilities. I make almost 97K a year, you figure out how many car parts that will buy after I pay my $500.00 a month in utilities.

its the fun of watching your dream become a reality more than buying a turnkey finished product that I like.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by t-1
347 is lighter and keeps the weight off the front for the all important weight transfer.
My 403 weighs LESS than a stock ls1 by a few pounds.

For the OP, I think your best bet would be a setup like KP's or hell buy kp's car. That is a very nice setup.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:36 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by dads toy
Thanks KP, sounds like an awesome car. I do like to pick my own parts and build it the way I want. yours sounds like what mine will hopefully turn into. no money right now but in 6 months I will be debt free other than utilities. I make almost 97K a year, you figure out how many car parts that will buy after I pay my $500.00 a month in utilities.

its the fun of watching your dream become a reality more than buying a turnkey finished product that I like.
I understand, I built the car for the fun of building it and trying to get the most I can out of the parts I use. I'm not actively trying to sell it and will most likely part it out for maximum cash return when I'm done with it.

But it never hurts to throw it out there.

Plus its way easier to build a car in steps then plonk down one lump sum, plus when you build it you know exactly what you have down to the last nut and bolt. Something thats important in a car you are going to go 150mph in
Old 07-30-2008, 01:39 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I'm guessing with a 40_ci engine + a 88mm turbo you could go mid 9's on pump gas.

With a blower setup, I'd find out what kp's tensioner approach is or run a custom 10 or 12 rib setup.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for understanding KP, Will definately look at yours for the right way to do mine. not the same to BUY someone elses car and claim its your accomplishment.

I have worked hard for 32 years and next year I will finally be where I want to be in life, daughter grown, beautiful grand daughter and then it will be time for me to buy the things I want and have done without for the last 20+ years taking care of a family.

Hopefully over the next 4-5 years:
-get TA like I want it for a track toy
-buy a nice used Viper just because
-buy a nice 4 seater convertable to take daughter and grand daughter for nice sunny rides. convertable will probably be a new Camaro or Challenger convertable if they make it.

Quick Reply: 35K to build a track toy - need opinions