Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Little interior update..

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Little interior update..

Well as some of you know, I'm working on my interior. I finally got everything I was waiting on to arrive. I still need to have the wife's brother take my Ebony carpet & give it a good carpet cleaning. Luckily I don't have to pay for this kinda stuff.

I started on my dash 2 nights ago. Pulled the cluster, door handle trim & HVAC controls. Upgraded all the lights in them to Red LED's & man is there a difference. No more dark spots on my cluster & the needles illuminate in a bright red instead of orange. Door lights are way brighter also. On the HVAC, I'm gonna have to pull the face & remove the red film b/c it's causing the red LED's to look like a very deep red almost like blood or something. No biggie though. I also aquired a small silver bird from Fourth Circle Designs for the cluster. And a spiffy billet aluminum tilt lever. (got my LED's from led vault)

I did however find out how easy the cluster lense will crack, LOL. I was attemtping to remove the T/A benzel from the clear & it cracked on me so fast I didn't have time to release the pressure. So I got to get a new one which I have decided this time will be separated with a dremel & cutting disc so I can install my aluminum overlay.

If this darn humidity we have been having (around 70% everyday) would go away I could mask off the windshield & some other stuff so I could hit the dash with the Satin Black SEM dye I have & paint my cluster/vent trim piece gloss black. Then the dash area will be complete for now. I still need to get (3) more MBA ***** in satin aluminum got the HVAC controls, got the headlight **** already.

Definetly not making my deadline I had set for finishing my interior. Next on my list is to pull all my interior panels minus the doors(got a extra set) & start wrapping them in the leather kit. My buddy finally got settled into his house & we should be able to start soon. Once those are ready to re-install, it's off to my buddy Brandon's house to wire in everything (gauges/nitrous system) & get the carpet swapped out.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pics??
Old 07-30-2008, 09:14 AM
12 Second Club

I can get a pic tonight probably of the LED's illuminated, but the dash is far from finished. I was gonna wait to post pics until it was all back together & completed. I also need to re-do the door lights & drill out the red lense inside there so it'll brighten up those a little more also.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Looking forward to seeing the end results of the dash, so are you going from the 99 charcoal to the ebony 00+ color. I was thinking replace the whole dash but if I can dye it and it turns out excellent I'd be all for that!
Old 07-30-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im looking to do this as well! Post some pics of the process and some before and afters. Interested in seeing the out come! Good luck...
Old 07-31-2008, 06:29 AM
12 Second Club

Here is a quick teaser of the cluster. Sorry for the crappy quality of the pic, I was in a hurry cause the shop guys were leaving out & needed the camera this morning. I'll have better day/night pics after I get the new lense in & all the cluster stuff completed. I have no before shots though guys, sorry.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Nice and bright!

When do you plan on installing that headliner of yours?
Old 07-31-2008, 08:20 AM
12 Second Club

Well I'm gonna try to hook up with my buddy within the next couple weeks to start wrapping my interior panels. They have to come out first, then the headliner can go in. I also got a line on a set of mirror polished MBA ***** for the HVAC/headlight yesterday from a friend, so I'll be adding those soon also.

Brian, I'll PM you a pic of the HVAC here in a minute. For some reason it came out all blurry but you can still ee the color darkness to give you an idea of what I was sayin so we will know what to do.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:33 AM
11 Second Club

look and sounsd nice mike...
Old 07-31-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow those are bright.. here is my car with LEDs and silver face gauges
looks good

Old 07-31-2008, 08:58 AM
12 Second Club

I almost did the overlays instead of buying a aluminum benzel overlay, but MacEwen isn't the most reliable to get stuff from & my car is always parked outside, most the time in the sun. I had heard some guys say in the hottest part of summer the overlays moved on their gauges almost like the glue got so hot it turned soft again. And I didn't want to deal with that possible issue.

I love how bright the cluster is now. It'll definetly match my digital Red gauges that are goin in.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:31 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
I almost did the overlays instead of buying a aluminum benzel overlay, but MacEwen isn't the most reliable to get stuff from & my car is always parked outside, most the time in the sun. I had heard some guys say in the hottest part of summer the overlays moved on their gauges almost like the glue got so hot it turned soft again. And I didn't want to deal with that possible issue.

I love how bright the cluster is now. It'll definetly match my digital Red gauges that are goin in.
Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you but it will all be worth it in the end! Let me know if you have any questions when you get around to installing the leather kit you got from us.

If you decide you want the Macewen gauge overlays, we have them in stock: http://store.specializedstainless.co...ategory=Gauges

Thank you
Old 07-31-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good Mike
Old 07-31-2008, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Instrument panel looks cool.....

Too bad someone doesn't make an overlay for the speedometer that masks out the KPH scale, it would look so much better and uncluttered.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Looks nice and bright.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

The pic makes it look kinda sloppy bright. Not sure why it kinda blurred. In person it's not quite that bright but definetly brighter than stock. So far besides a full audio system upgrade from front to back, this is my favorite interior mod. I got alot more interior stuff goin in though, but this is still a very nice upgrade.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Reason it made it look "sloppy bright" as you called it is because you're shutter speed was too long and you had camera shake. Shorten the shutter speed
Old 08-01-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Mike, while you have the carpet out, you need to think about sound dead'ner. You can pick it up @ Lowe's/Home Depot. Fairly inexpensive, well worth the effort. Just a thought.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:45 PM
12 Second Club

I'm goin to be getting some VERY discounted dynamat from my Audio guy. He always hooks me up. I bet I don't spend $30.

When we do the carpet, the nitrous goodies, new gauges & switch panel are all getting wired in & the wires ran under the carpet & shrink wrapped.

Quick Reply: Little interior update..