LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stock LT1 fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock LT1 fuel pump

On the average, how long do the stock fuel pumps last in our cars?? Concidering changing over the the Racetronix system but if the stock one's hold up pretty good then I don't want to waste the money.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:58 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 113K miles on the stock fuel pump. The pump might be going out, cause the fuel pressure is jumping from 33psi - 41psi.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LT1
I have 113K miles on the stock fuel pump. The pump might be going out, cause the fuel pressure is jumping from 33psi - 41psi.
Is it obvious when the stock pump starts to go out?? Meaning, can or do you feel a loss of power or does it cut out at certain speeds?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

158K on mine, it wasn't priming for some reason, but after talking with the previous owner, it was hard starting when he bought the car back in 02 with 58K on it, other then that, it was still working decent when running, now i've installed a 255 & it fires right up "instintly" even after sitting 4 days, also installed an adj. reg. (thats a god sent), it primes at 41-42 psi, i've adj. it to run at 45 psi on vac., off vacuum (wot) at 54 psi., runs like a banchee.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:21 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
Is it obvious when the stock pump starts to go out?? Meaning, can or do you feel a loss of power or does it cut out at certain speeds?
No i dont feel a power loss. It doesnt ever cut off while driving or stall. Idles smooth.

Car has extend crank and stumbles on start up. Runs good once car starts up. With fuel pressure gauge hooked up, noticed wasnt holding pressure with key on engine off and while running when i snap the throttle went from 33psi to 41psi, also tried removing regulator vacuum and went to 41psi (should have gone to at least 45psi).
Old 07-30-2008, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine said peace at only 86k
Old 07-30-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mine was done at only 60k miles. From what I have seen, one of two things happens. One problem is the little rubber check valve at the bottom of the fuel bucket rips, which causes problems like "LT1" is having. Only thing I can think of that would cause this is the car sitting for extended periods. The other thing that happens is your fuel pump gets overheated from not having enough gas in your tank. They were designed to be cooled by the gas that is in there. For this reason I try to longer run my car below 1/4 tank.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

With the head/cam package your getting soon I would recommend the Racetronix kit because it generally seems to be about that time in modding where the stock one may not be quite enough. If your pump is in good shape then it should still work fine even with the heads/cam setup your getting but may not just be enough I dunno. Good way to tell would be to throw that thing on a dyno when done and see if it leans out any.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
With the head/cam package your getting soon I would recommend the Racetronix kit because it generally seems to be about that time in modding where the stock one may not be quite enough. If your pump is in good shape then it should still work fine even with the heads/cam setup your getting but may not just be enough I dunno. Good way to tell would be to throw that thing on a dyno when done and see if it leans out any.
Funny thing is, just had it on the dyno a cpl months ago...it's running really lean..I'm going to get all my work done, have it tuned and then take it back through DEQ. I'm just gonna say screw it and do the pump at the same time.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT1
No i dont feel a power loss. It doesnt ever cut off while driving or stall. Idles smooth.

Car has extend crank and stumbles on start up. Runs good once car starts up. With fuel pressure gauge hooked up, noticed wasnt holding pressure with key on engine off and while running when i snap the throttle went from 33psi to 41psi, also tried removing regulator vacuum and went to 41psi (should have gone to at least 45psi).
With that low of pressure i would think it needs replaced (as long as the filter is new), i have found these LT1s like a good 52-54 psi (off the rgulator), meaning once vacuum drops at WOT.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine died out on me yesterday the day I got it registered. 110k miles, the car started sputtering like it ran out of gas and then nothing. Tested everyhting and turend out the pump was bad so the car is apart now but I am just trying to find a stock pump somewhere that dosent cost $250+
Old 07-30-2008, 05:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by CAMJAG
Mine died out on me yesterday the day I got it registered. 110k miles, the car started sputtering like it ran out of gas and then nothing. Tested everyhting and turend out the pump was bad so the car is apart now but I am just trying to find a stock pump somewhere that dosent cost $250+
You could buy a Racetronix kit or just the pump for less than that and have all the fuel you will probaly ever need, just a suggestion. The pump itself is $149.99
Old 07-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Banned

You could buy a Racetronix kit or just the pump for less than that and have all the fuel you will probaly ever need, just a suggestion. The pump itself is $149.99
is there any reason to buy the entire kit or is the pump itself really all you need?
Old 07-30-2008, 06:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by k0261886
.....The other thing that happens is your fuel pump gets overheated from not having enough gas in your tank. They were designed to be cooled by the gas that is in there. For this reason I try to never run my car below 1/4 tank.

Good idea, and I do the same thing. I also change my fuel filter annually, so the pump never has to work harder against a clogged filter.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Two questions

1: Where can I get just the pump for that price

2: The only mods that are going to be done to this car is a CAI with long tube headers, catted Y, 3 inch full exhaust (borla) So is it even necessary to get a high flow fuel pump when I wont even need it? What affects will it have on the car pumping all that gas that is not needed?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Banned

Two questions

1: Where can I get just the pump for that price

2: The only mods that are going to be done to this car is a CAI with long tube headers, catted Y, 3 inch full exhaust (borla) So is it even necessary to get a high flow fuel pump when I wont even need it? What affects will it have on the car pumping all that gas that is not needed?
Thunder Racing.. http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog/ type in the search box "lt1 fuel pumps" and they all come up.

You do not need an aftermarket pump with just those mods. Now if yours is going out it will be a good upgrade. The only time you might need one is if and when you do cam and head work, Nos, pro charger and are going for high hp. etc etc..
Old 07-30-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
Thunder Racing.. http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog/ type in the search box "lt1 fuel pumps" and they all come up.

You do not need an aftermarket pump with just those mods. Now if yours is going out it will be a good upgrade. The only time you might need one is if and when you do cam and head work, Nos, pro charger and are going for high hp. etc etc..
Im just gona find a stock pump then. I dont see the need to have a 255lph pump on a car that is basicly stock. Maybe when I get another LS1 and do a head and cam swap
Old 07-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Banned

Im just gona find a stock pump then. I dont see the need to have a 255lph pump on a car that is basicly stock. Maybe when I get another LS1 and do a head and cam swap
All depends on the price of a stock one...if it's over a 100-150 I would put the nicer of the two on...RACETRONIX

Quick Reply: Stock LT1 fuel pump