Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast or DFI ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 10:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fast or DFI ???

i was wanting to know if you could get a Fast or DFI system to run all aspects of the LS1 motor, say put in a V-6 body(race car )? Or is it a plug in to your factory wiring harness and PCM? i have been reading the DFI thread and it sounds good but it looks to me to have to use the factory wiring harness and PCM also.

Dont the mustang guys rip all the wiring harness out of their car and just use the Fast or DFI wiring Harness to control their motors?

any help that can shed some light on this would be great.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default Re: Fast or DFI ???

I do not understand why people are so emphatic on changing to aftermarket ECU's. Everything you need to make power is there within the factory computer you just need to know what to do. That is why it is best to let tuners do there job.
I dont mean to sound angry, but if you were in my shoes and understood what i know of the GMECMs that in essence it is a creative waste of $$$. DFI is not the solution unless you have a PCM that is not able to be cracked or is making over 1000HP etc. For the $$$ It offers great features but there is no need to even go there with 90% of the people that have DFI. The GMECM is capable of handling a tremendous amount of power, YOU JUST NEED TO KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH IT. Who has done more research than GM?

Jeremy
Old 08-27-2003, 02:03 PM
Banned

i undestand your point completly. you make your living tuning others cars because they dont know how and dont want to know. i on the other had want to tune my own car. i dont want to have to rely on someone else. i know the LS1 PCM coupled with LS1 Edit and autotap can tune just about what ever the average LS1 person wants. with the direction i am wanting to go i had rather just spend the extra $$$ to have an aftermarket system.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:50 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

I bought a FAST system from Cartek so I think I can answer:

ACCEL DFI - Won't run tach and speedo I think.

FAST - Need a crank trigger to use it to control timing otherwise you need to keep the factory pcm like I am doing (for now). I am running the Cartek crank signal converter but it won't allow me to control timing since it does not phase the crank and the cam signals. Hopefully a revised box will come out in the near future.

Jeremy, the stock pcm won't work with high boost setups.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:01 PM
Teching In

correct we wont run tach and speedo thats why you have to retain the stock ecu, and for trans control. as far as factory pcm being able to do what the aftermarkets can do? can you make a gm ecu control
3 stages of nitous?
2 electronic fans?
2 step revlimiter?
shift light (programmable)
boost builder?
timing retard?
fuel retard?

Old 08-27-2003, 08:16 PM
Banned

when you say it wont run the tach, you mean the factory tach right? i plan on running a TH350 or 400 tranny so that isn't really an issue. i figure i will do a custom dash with autometer gauges so i could go mechanical on the speedo.

Old 08-27-2003, 08:26 PM
Teching In

I mean the factory tach, wickedred if you do the autometer guages you will me all set with the gen 7 it plugs into the factory sensors, you splice 2 wires (switched and constant 12v) you have to mount a mst sensor and swap a coolant sensor.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

GEN 7 and stock ECM can be used in conjunction without disabeling the best functions of GEN VII correct? I want stock gauges and and have an A4...
Please tell me!
What are the benefits of ditching the stock ECM????